Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sudden transitory power loss
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akasharaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

Hey everyone, greetings from this side of the pond!

I have a transient power loss issue in my ‘72 Bay. Three times now there’s been a sudden noticeable power loss, where the engine doesn’t cut out straight away but will no longer respond to the throttle; the dash lights don’t go on until I stop, at which point the engine stalls. I then wait for a few seconds, fire him up and off we go, no problem. There’s been the suggestion over here that the fuel pump might be starting to go, but there are no other obvious symptoms. Or might it be the coil starting to fail? Any suggestions grateful received.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

I'd start with clogged fuel filter and or fuel line. Gas seeps past the obstruction to start motor but when you demand more fuel it can't deliver.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

A failing coil wouldn't suddenly recover after a few seconds of sitting, I'd be looking around for someone to borrow one of those snake style inspection cameras off of, sounds like there's a floatie in the tank.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Akasharaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

Thanks. I did wonder about the fuel filter letting through little bits of crud that temporarily block the key before being flushed though. The current filter was only fitted last year, and I haven’t don’t that much mileage, but worth a look
Akasharaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

Jet, not key!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

I would also check for things like the mechanical fuel pump pivot pin falling out or almost falling out, as well as a filter blockage.

An adhesive label off an aftermarket fuel tank level sender can create this symptom too, floats around, blocks the outlet as the fuel pump sucks it down. You stop and it drifts off as the fuel pump stops sucking. Drive on, no problem until it floats around again.

And if you have an electronic ignition module, these can sometimes fail with age (anything from straight out of the box to years..) and they can become very temperature sensitive.. slow down, airflow changes around distributor, distributor warms up slightly. Electronic module overheats. You stop, it cools down, restart engine, keep driving, no problem...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Akasharaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

I’ve just remembered that I do possess an endoscope and will take a look in the tank - floatie theory sounds plausible.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the same with a '72 but my '71 has the sock filter inside the gas tank at the outlet. Not sure if that's the filter you mentioned being fitted last year but if not, don't forget about that one. It has been said by many that this filter can be omitted entirely if you're running an in-line filter further down the line.
Akasharaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

The filter i mentioned is an inline filter. Easy to replace. I don't know if there's an outlet filter in the tank, which was new 5 years ago. Would that be a standard part?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

Akasharaja wrote:
Would that be a standard part?

If it was a genuine VW NOS part, "new" aftermarket means most likely no screen on the inlet.
Crawl under and look at the bottom of the tank where the line comes out, is there a large (~19mm) hex nut where it meets the tank?, or just a smooth nipple welded to the metal? Nut means filter, smooth means you are SOL.

Smooth also means fuel leaves the tank through a single 7-8mm hole, easy to block with a floatie like some of the plastic that sometimes peels off the seal on a bottle of fuel system cleaner, or a label like already mentioned, or some other gift a passerby deposited in your gas filler. It sucks down tight on the tip of the pipe and kills the engine, then when the suction stops it floats away and it runs normally, until the next time the evil swimmer nears the outlet.

I have temporarily solved that problem by shoving 4-5" of mechanics wire up into the inlet, the end of the wire sticking out of the pipe makes it hard for the floatie to make a good seal, but getting the offending detritus out of the tank is always the best long term fix.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudden transitory power loss Reply with quote

Little more diagnosis needed

Next time you feel the power loss, quickly drop the clutch and see if the lights come one right away. I ll bet they do.

Leaving the clutch engaged means the motor is still turning over and the lights will stay off, even though the engine has 'stopped'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: