Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOTEK German Military Convoy Light
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWNYCMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

Hello all, wondering if there is a period correct reproduction NOTEK German military convoy light available for purchase. I have seen original versions for sale on German eBay, but I would prefer to use a modern copy. Many thanks to all in advance, Mike
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

Since my 71 is a 82e tribute , I have sought a Notek front blackout light also There're some 50's-60's (?) versions sometimes available for purchase ebay, but the originals (WW2) show up on very rare occasion at $900+. I did find a " fiberglass mold for notek shield" once, but no signs of any repros
It doesn't look impossibly hard to make a replica, but not currently so motivated.Maybe someone on here with casting expertise could do it? Let me hear if you find anything.Maybe there's not enough demand, or Kdf repro guys would get on it.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

I assume by notek convoy light you are referring to the rear mounted one.
available here
http://www.repuestossam.com/en/kubelwagen/parts/k015.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664354

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
VWNYCMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Since my 71 is a 82e tribute , I have sought a Notek front blackout light also There're some 50's-60's (?) versions sometimes available for purchase ebay, but the originals (WW2) show up on very rare occasion at $900+. I did find a " fiberglass mold for notek shield" once, but no signs of any repros
It doesn't look impossibly hard to make a replica, but not currently so motivated.Maybe someone on here with casting expertise could do it? Let me hear if you find anything.Maybe there's not enough demand, or Kdf repro guys would get on it.

I have been looking online and have found a few. You are exactly right $900.00 USD is a base price for an original sample. A fiberglass or 3D printed model would be perfect for my use. Should I come across a sample or lead on a repro, I'll post the link here. Many thanks, Mike
VWNYCMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I assume by notek convoy light you are referring to the rear mounted one.
available here
http://www.repuestossam.com/en/kubelwagen/parts/k015.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664354

Just leaned something new Finster .... I was unaware that NOTEK also made the rear convoy light as well ! In my case I am looking for the front fender (in most cases) NOTEK convoy light shown in the attached pictures. Many thanks, Mike
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

For a lot less than $900, I believe a reasonable knockoff could be made utilizing a lathe, some plumbing parts, and a cast or molded lid. Maybe somebody could try 3-D printer for the cover. Just sayin.....needs resources I don't have.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

this diagram could be helpful. I've seen reference to the notek tarnscheinwerfer being 235mm long and 170mm wide so this matches the illustration.

gdettore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

Have been searching the web for the same thing, preferably a reproduction. No need to function, just for looks. So far, nothing has been found.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

I would settle for a mock up also, considering everything. How about somebody here with a plastic printer give it a try with Finster's diagram to help? Or maybe a casting in aluminum?
I don't have the resources but some here do!
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/notek-tarnscheinwerfer/2678492002-223-8606

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/notek-tarnscheinwerfer-2-stueck-wk-2/2693249861-223-9231

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/notek-tarnscheinwerfer-wehrmacht-2-wk/2668228536-234-2366
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

If they consistently sell for $900, why not buy one and make a fiberglass mold, then sell it. You may be able to sell a few to make it worthwhile. I don't think you understand how expensive a 3D printed one would cost. Besides you would have to have one for the programmer.
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

€650 is not $900 but it is also a matter of fact that about 5 years back I bought a very nice front Notek for €250.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

does anyone have a sample, i got a 3D printed, 8"X8" so i think it would fit, if anyone has detailed drawing with all dimensions, i might be able to fab 1 up
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

FYI, and the source of the Notek name- https://www.heraldnet.com/life/illuminating-the-wwii-german-vehicle-notek-light/

And explanation of the taillamps on Kuebelwagens- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/rearnova.html
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

ok folks, notek lamps are still used by german miliary, i bought 1 years ago for a car i am slowly building, not the same, but similar, tag says i paid $120 for it

note is says NOTEK

today i just bought a real WWII notek helmet

so once i get it, i can figure out how to span it, but obviously, this is just the top, what to do about the rest? will need to compare to see what can be copied
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

the other main parts to make are the base/bulbholder and the reflector. the base is basicaly a flat D shaped plate with a boss underneath to take the clamping screw and a bulb holder on top. this should be quite easy to mock-up with plywood etc and a modern bulb holder, you have the mating shape area of the cover to guide you.
see this link https://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/Notek.pdf page 21

here is an advert for the parts on ebay, the photos are quite good for seeing the shapes (although the base plate is missing 2 corners)
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/notek-tarnscheinwerfer-wehrmacht/2693739546-234-3105

good luck

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

A wood buck of the top cover and vacuum-form some polystyrene over it would probably be the cheapest way to make the cover if you know someone who does it for one off stuff.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

well this has some great detail drawings

see this link https://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/Notek.pdf page 21

i cant read german, but i dont think i need to to get the point
VWNYCMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

Gents,
I purchased an original front fender NOTEK and it arrived this morning. I am going to clean it up a bit and begin the scanning process in the hopes of getting a 3D test product done. Keep you all posted !
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: NOTEK German Military Convoy Light Reply with quote

the race is on! Popcorn

incidentally having found this downloadable file for 1/35 scale is it possible to scale it up to 1/1 scale. I know nothing about 3d printing
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/1-35-notek-tarnscheinwerfer-and-convoy-light/makes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: