Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Today, my search continued to find a local (Sacramento CA) shop that will willingly service and work on the VW/Porsche flat-4 engine that powers the VW/Porsche 914. During that search, I talked with a shop owner (in a nearby area adjacent to Sacramento) who is very popular with VW Bug owners for his excellent work and asked him what his stance was on the 914-4 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines. I was absolutely shocked to hear what he had to say!

He basically said that the VW Typ-4 engine (that powered the VW/Porsche version of the 914 and the Typ 411/412 cars (as well as some later Typ-2s) was (in so many words) "...a terrible engine to maintain and work on"...one reason why (so he suggested) so many shops may refuse to work on the 914-4 cars."]

He further went on to say not just this, but that parts for the engines are increasingly difficult to source and locate (among several other things). In other words, the flat-4 Typ-4 engine that is the core of the VW produced 914 cars is a terrible design that today is extremely unpopular among the shops!

This news (if completely factual) came to me like a bolt out of the blue, totally unexpected, but if true, it would certainly help explain to some substantial extent exactly why exactly the search for a good shop that will willingly work on 914-4 cars is so fraught with difficulty in this part of Northern California!

Having just acquired my most recent 914-4 (1.8 liter), this fills me with dismay, since I am now stuck with a lovely specimen of the 914-4 that hardly any quality mechanic wants to see in their Porsche or Volks garage! Prior to this, I'd never heard of any such undercurrent of commercial shop dislike for the 914-4 production's essential being! And I certainly hadn't anticipated this sort of a situation in the capital of the largest state on the Pacific Coast! [And of course, as most of us know, the Typ-4 engine stayed in production and was used on Typ-2 vehicles long after the 914 and 412 production ended in late 1975); a puzzlement, if the 412 engine was such a wretched and disfavored dog...so go figure!]

I'd certainly welcome any inputs of comments on this from the members of the 914 community on SAMBA (particularly 'Dr914' of Auto Atlanta if he's on frequency). Still holding my head in shocked disbelief!

Shocked

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Basically the same engine in the late Bay Bus and early Vanagon.

Parts are more expensive, but the engine is not any harder to work on.

The biggest issues is when the fuel injection is causing problems, but that's just because the shop doesn't know what they are doing.

But then, not many shop know much about aircooled engines these days.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Not only are parts expensive, parts in general are not of the same quality anymore. This requires more time to make parts work, and if you're a shop owner do you want to warranty this stuff? This is why most classic car owners do their own stuff, or fork out lots of Money.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

I thought I'd ask MS/Bing's AI 'Co-Pilot' the question ("Why is it so hard to find a garage that will work on 914s?"). The response was interesting. Here it is:

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO FIND A GARAGE THAT WILL WORK ON VW/PORSCHE 914 CARS (2024)?

The VW/Porsche 914-4 is an intriguing blend of two iconic automotive brands: Volkswagen and Porsche. Let’s delve into the reasons behind its mixed reputation and why some mechanics might hesitate to work on these cars.

1. Hybrid Origins:
o The 914-4 was a joint project between Porsche and Volkswagen. Porsche needed an affordable sports car, and VW wanted a range-topping two-seater. The result was the 914-4, which utilized many VW parts to reduce development and production costs.
o However, this hybrid nature meant that the 914-4 didn’t fit neatly into either camp. It was part Porsche and part VW, leading to some identity confusion. [The 914-6, in contrast, was ALL Porsche.]

2. Styling and Perception:
o The 914-4’s design was unconventional. It didn’t resemble any other VW or Porsche on the road. Some described it as “functional, low, and sporty,” while others called it “a pleasant eyesore.”
o Unlike the classic Porsche look, the 914-4 had integrated bumpers, pop-up headlights, and a lower center of gravity. Its appearance divided opinions.

3. Service Challenges:
o The 914-4’s unique design and shared components posed challenges for service garages and mechanics:
 Parts Availability: Finding specific 914-4 parts can be tricky due to its hybrid nature. Some components are VW-based, while others are Porsche-specific.
 Specialized Knowledge: Mechanics need a good understanding of both VW and Porsche systems to work on the 914-4 effectively. Not all mechanics have this expertise.
 Tooling and Equipment: The 914-4’s mid-engine layout requires specialized tools and equipment for maintenance and repairs.
 Lack of Familiarity: Many mechanics are more accustomed to working on traditional rear-engine Porsches or front-engine VWs. The 914-4 falls in between, making it less familiar territory.

4. Changing Perception:
o Over time, perceptions have shifted. What was once considered an “ugly duckling” is now recognized as an important piece of automotive history.
o Prices for 914s have risen significantly, reflecting their growing popularity among collectors and enthusiasts.
In summary, the 914-4’s dual heritage, unique design, and specialized requirements contribute to its mixed reputation among mechanics. However, for those who appreciate its quirks and character, the 914-4 remains a fun and intriguing classic car123.

And there it is, straight from AI's collective consciousness.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

It's just economics. Type 4 owners are few and far between, and they don't want to pay "Porsche prices" for parts or service. Thus mechanics cannot afford to specialize in supporting them.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
It's just economics. Type 4 owners are few and far between, and they don't want to pay "Porsche prices" for parts or service. Thus mechanics cannot afford to specialize in supporting them.

So you're saying Bus owners are paying "Porsche prices"?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

I don't know. I bet there are more buses running around than 914s. Maybe enough to keep some mechanics in business without Porsche prices?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

The shop I work out of, part time, has a single hourly rate for Beetles, Busses, Porsche, Mercedes and they'll even work on my Subaru.

They know them all.

There's plenty of shop that work on makes and models they've never worked on before.

A 914 is no different from a VW Bus and not much different from a Beetle.

Try taking a Beetle to a corner repair shop that doesn't know how to set points, set ignition timing or do valve lash. Most just plug a scanner in and do what the online software tells them to do.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

I'd bet that there are more shops in SoCal that willingly work on Type IV motors than in NorCal (at least in the Sacramento area, which is smack in the middle of the Californica (sic) Great Valley).

Speaking of Type IV vehicles, I had not just one but two VW 412s (a silver one and a blue one), a few years back (before they became scarce collectibles) and I was totally unimpressed by the cars' 'driveability', road-handling and just about everything except the engine. Several shops I took them to for routine maintenance simply scratched their heads and told me to 'ditch them and buy Bugs', LoL. Another shop told me that the very late-model air-sucker Type IIs (which used the same engine as the 914-4, of course) were not real popular with some of the VW shops..one shop up here even flat-out told me they wouldn't work on them). Go figure. [But remember, that they told Orville and Wilber that their contraption would never even get off the ground, either...]

PS: Reflecting on Glenn's comment about the computer/scanner diagnosis technology, I suspect that a lot of mechs these days are getting spoiled by them and the OBDII system. VW had, of course, one of the early computer plug-in links on Bugs but it was a comparatively primitive 'Village Idiot' in comparison to current auto diagnostic systems. More sophistication in contemporary cars translates to exponentially increased purchased costs, too. One of the reasons I dislike the latest 'Porsche four-wheeled F-35 fighter jets' and stick to my frusty old 70s hardware, LoL!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Glenn you hit it on the head, this like I jug went back to the Future 1993,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they have no clue about the T-4 engines when they are very much like a T-1

They want fast money.

One of the best things about 914, is the engine and tranny just drops out together.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Quote:
He basically said that the VW Typ-4 engine (that powered the VW/Porsche version of the 914 and the Typ 411/412 cars (as well as some later Typ-2s) was (in so many words)[i] "...a terrible engine to maintain and work on"...one reason why (so he suggested) so many shops may refuse to work on the 914-4 cars.

This says more about this particular mechanic than it does about the engine....but I will be fair and state that there are a few small points of truth to what he said.

This is the stance of virtually every mechanic who spent decades working on beetles and "maybe" type 3's....but generally on type 1 engines.

They were used to the ins and outs of one flavor. They had to learn something new adn it pissed too many of them off because they had to learn new things. This is my experience.

Its like this....the type 4 engine does not require any more or less frequent oil changes. They are not any harder to do. It actually has a filter. It does not require more or less valve adjustments. They are not any harder to do.
Its not a different ignition system, it does not have any more spark plugs than a type 1 and in "most" type 4 centric cars they are actually easier to reach. Its fan, fan belt and alternator system is actually less problematic and requires less maintenance.
The engine case is less prone to cracking (like the crack behind #3 you get on early type 1 cases)......so overall there is not anything different enough to be called "terrible".

BUT....the vast majority of cars that came from the factory with type 4 engines came with either D-jet in the 411/412/914 and L-jet in the buses. The number of carbed engines with type 4 were probably...just guessing...maybe "0" in Porsche 914 and VW 411/412 unless they were gray market and early....and maybe 10%? in early busses.

All else were fuel injected. That right there....most older or type 1 centric (and not really late type 1 beetle centric) mechanics....already considered terrible.

This is partially the fault of the mechanics who did not want to change. They knew carbs and could not aor would not wrap their heads around EFI when it came out. But...that is a smaller portion of the fault.

The larger portion of fault was VW and Bosch. The D-jet system is not complex (only 23 wires in the whole system with 4 sensors)...but it is "complicated". It is unforgiving in what it needs to have because there is not operating logic in its ECU. It cannot self tune around and discrepancies. It is rather adjustale...but there has never been...a single book publsihed...ever...not Probst...not Elfrink...none of them...That explain performance tuning or troubleshooting outside of factory basic. There is no real world D-jet tuning and troubleshooting save for things we and others who have worked on them for decades have published on-line.

Then take L-jet on tehlate 412, the 1.8L 914 and all of the late buses. There is a bit more "how to" available for it from Probst and tech sites....but again its all recent and all aftermarket and L-jet is far less adjustable than D-jet anyway.

And....all of these mechanics were confronted with D and L-jet ...not on new cars in good shape but cars that were out of warrnty and already problematic.

They hated working on this crap. All they could really do is the same as the dealer could do. Play with the volt meter readings and basics and swap parts in and out.

That being said....the fuel injection thing has nothing to do with type 1 or type 4. A late 1978-79 type 1 beetle with L-jet is just as finicky to work on as a late bus with a type 4 engine and L-jet. Its the fuel system...not the engine.

The other thing that is the other half of this is that D-jet when you look at all of the vacuum lines is a plumbers nightmare.

When you are a mechanic trying to service a D-jet injected 411 or 412 wagon or a 914 and you probably have no idea really what can be done other than testing for broken wires and bad sensors and low fuel pressurethe added difficulty is ...the way all of that stuff is stuffed into a small narrow space you cannot fit into...makes it VERY hard to work on.

Again, thats the fuel system and the lack of a knowledge and experience base coupled with the poor accessability of the chassis its crammed into....and NOT the type 4 engine that is causing all the bitching.

Its says more about the particular mechanic as I noted.

Its like... I Personally hate working on type 1 beetles. I hate blindly having to reach around for #1 and #3 sparkplugs. But its not really hard...just some annoyances. I hate generators because I think alternators are better. But its just an annoyance.

Most of these guys just did not have the time and wherewithall to try to really figure out the factory injection systems. They are the first to say its unreliable and hard to work on and sell you a centermount Pinto carb or twin carbs.
It does not mean they are bad mechanics. Its their bias and what they would rather work on.

That being said, these days you can probably find more mechanics that are not actually scared of fuel injection...if its modern aftermarket injection. That has inputs and outputs they can whip with a laptop and a rolling road if you are willing to pay.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

we have anything you would ever need in stock for your 914!!!!!!!!!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Quote:
"Windisch"I'd bet that there are more shops in SoCal that willingly work on Type IV motors than in NorCal (at least in the Sacramento area, which is smack in the middle of the Californica (sic) Great Valley).

Speaking of Type IV vehicles, I had not just one but two VW 412s (a silver one and a blue one), a few years back (before they became scarce collectibles) and I was totally unimpressed by the cars' 'driveability', road-handling and just about everything except the engine.

When you had your 412's...you should have dropped into the 411/412 forum! We could have helped you with the suspension, handling and road holding.

The gist of the 411 and 412 cars is that they were supposed to be luxury cars with soft suspension. They had a lot of roll. And...if you got one in condition other than new and it was after about 1999... its factory shocks were shot and no one was making replacements. The factory front strut valving was very poor even when new. It did not have enough rebound valving.

There were a few obvious defects in the front suspension components that were not known to really be defects until about 1977...like the idler arm bushing which was junk and they later upgraded on the Super beetles to solid bronze (huge improvement).

The centerlink I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt is about 70% of the shimmies that 411 and 412 strut vehicles have. They can be self rebuilt in about 3 hours for about $40 and are worlds better.

Other little things....the late model 412 strut bushings are better.

If you had a wagon....you had no rear sway bar. The good thing is that the factory had the underpinnings for sway bar in place. The threads are already cut. You could bolt up a swaybar to a wagon from a sedan to great effect in about an hour.

So for the last 30 years there have been no 411/412 suspension parts available except for rear KYB shocks (very good)...and NOS...which is old and poorly tuned to start with.

We have had...and I have outlined it online for at least a decade now....answers for virtually all of the bushings, the ability to but much better front struts on with far better valving...literally 200% better...the ability to install a double factory sway bar on the rear (excellent and simple mod)....the abilities to correct the shimmies and install needed camber and castor....and the ability to go to 5.5" rims with a proper tire size like 195-60/-15....and the handling of 411 and 412 can spank a stock 914 with the same engine.

The other issue is ...did you have the manual transmission (rare gray market here)...or most likely the automatic? The manual drops into any car with an automatic ...if you get all the stuff...pedal cluster, clutch cylinder and slave...along with the transmission....in about 3 hours. All of the bolt holes and hold downs are there.

The manual trans 411 and 412 had GREAT gears. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Have you tried going to IPB Autosport in Sacramento to have your 914 worked on? The owner, Ron Kain, raced a Porsche 914 for years, and is a well respected Porsche shop owner and technician.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad news about the VW/Porsche 914...True/false? Reply with quote

Don't listen to this guy. He obviously does not have the patience and expertise. In other words, he's not going to make any money.

I grew up with 914s and 412s. The type 4 engine was way more robust. Has its own dedicated oil full flow filter. They were very reliable in all 914s. I know from experience. I worked on them and drove them.

Sure, a bit hard to work on especially in the 914 with the mid engine crammed into that tiny space. Once you worked on a few it became a piece of cake.

Even back in the day, there were not too many techs that understood the fuel injection. Many people ripped the injection out and tried carbs. Big mistake. If the engine was all correct and the injection also correct, these were sweet running cars. My '73 412 wagon is a testament to that. A very precise running machine with that stock 1.7 liter.

Go ahead and love that 914. Most of all find a mechanic with some experience that loves them too.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: