Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Follow along as I solve the mystery of the missing in speedometer flasher indicator light.

So on my 66 it was converted to 12v prior to me. The PO did great at everything I should have assumed something as simple as a missing bulb and bulb holder would not have prevented them from getting this working if it was that easy.

There was an empty tab on the flasher relay that was just BEGGING for me to hook a light up to and be done. But accepting that I am new to this I decided to try a few things out before blowing a fuse or causing a fire.

First, I tried a test light from the negative to tab, it all worked, the same with the spot in the speedo to the relay tab.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next I tred with a bulb from negative to the relay.

And then I plugged it in, it lit up dimly and the blinkers worked poorly.

So then I broke out the voltmeter and found of the blinker bulb is center negative, so I need to switch that, not the positive from the existing relay. I confirmed this with a spare 2n4403 NPN transistor I had. This is not rated for this load, but it confirmed it worked. Of course a quick google of the samba showed me there is a part from Wolfsburg West. Which would have saved me some time, but what would the fun be in that?

Cheers,
-Joe
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Join me on part 2 as I fall victim to impatience and try to use a generic relay as I wait for the part to come in.

I bought a generic 4 pin relay from my local Oreilly. I figured I could just wire this in for the heck of it.

Everything worked great on the bench.

In the car, it did not Laughing Rolling Eyes

More pics of this part here: https://robonza.com/beetle/index.php/2023/12/03/re...-and-pain/

I should probably have just waited for the right relay Smile But it was still fun, and isn't that the point?

Cheers,
-Joe
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Mine works in my kitcar exactly as it did on the bench. Short mockup video, here:
https://youtu.be/PPGPlrlwGnk

More info, here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9781514&highlight=#9781514
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Good Tunes, that is helpful!

Also, I kind of need to know what sort of radio you've got in your buggy with a name like that !

Cheers,
-Joe
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
... what sort of radio you've got ...

Thanks for asking, Joe. I'm using an old smartphone with a great music playing app (actually a sub-app within a really old version of MiXplorer, a file manager). It plays thru a multi-media 4.1 channel surround sound system. An app call'd Tasker brings it up whenever accessory switch is ON, and shuts the phone off when accessory is switch'd OFF. You can see the right front satellite speaker grille, here:

More info, here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9638639&highlight=#9638639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Very nice! that is a bit fancier than my USB speaker in the back seat.

-Joe
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

The thread name suggests your turn signals work fine it is just you do not have a dash indicator lamp for your turn signals and you are trying to get one working. Is this what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to get the indicator lamp in the center bottom position on your speedometer to act as your turn indicator lamp? Or do you have a separate bulb in some other location you are trying to use? Is it the 2W stock bulb your pics show? Or are you planning to use some other bulb as the turn indicator lamp?

Do your OIL and GEN indicator lamps in the speedometer work normally? Do they turn ON with the ignition switch before you start the engine and then turn OFF once the engine is running?
    For this to work properly the bottom most terminal on the speedometer should have a 12v+ ignition switched wire connected to it. This provides a shared 12v to the three bottom indicator lamps. Each of the wires coming off the three bulb holders runs to a ground which turns the respective indicator bulb ON.

Do you have LED lamps for turn signals in each corner? Or are you running the normal 25W incandescent lamps in each corner?

I would suggest that you get the turn signals working as expected with the turn indicator lamp in the dash removed. The (EP35) flasher relay output terminal (49a or L) connects to the INPUT to the turn signal switch. The flasher relay INPUT (49 or +) connects to an ignition switched 12v power source. The Ground terminal (31 or -) connects to a good ground point. In this configuration the 49a OUTPUT is just waiting for the turn signal switch to open a path to the corner lamps where the flasher relay may power the corner lamps. Once the path is opened thru the turn signal switch the flasher relay will pulse the 12v OUTPUT.

Once you get this working, install the 12v, 2W turn indicator lamp into the speedometer. This lamp sits between the 12v+ wire connected to the bottom of the speedometer and the 49a (L) terminal of the flasher relay. Yes, the indicator lamp sits between an ignition switched 12v+ power source and a pulsing 12v+ power source!
One of the key requirements for this odd circuit to work is that the corner turn indicator lamps need to have a much higher wattage rating than the 2W dash indicator lamp. Each corner lamp should be about 10x the dash lamp wattage. Stock corner 12v bulbs were 21W to 25W each.

Report back if your corner lamps work properly with the dash indicator lamp removed. And what happens when you install the dash indicator lamp?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

Hey Ashman ! Thanks for all the info.

To avoid confusion I will define the following two terms. I am not implying you do not know the terms, rather I do not know the appropriate nomenclature.

- Turn signals are external the lights at the four corners of the car.
- Indicator is the 2W incandescent bulb in the bottom center of the speedometer.

My turn signals all work fine, they do indeed blink when they should. They are LED lights in the turn signals. Which to your point about the current draw may be my problem.

All of my other lights in the speed work, the gen, oil and highbeam all work as planned.

When I add the 2W indicator to the dash I get a very dimly lit bulb that blinks so dim it can only be seen at night and even then, barely.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
-Joe
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

I have similar behavior with LEDs, and will be changing back the indicator bulbs (I have a Type 3) next time I'm in there.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
My turn signals all work fine, they do indeed blink when they should. They are LED lights in the turn signals. Which to your point about the current draw may be my problem.

Your EP35 flasher relay is LED compatible which is why the corner LED lamps work fine while you have the dash indicator lamp removed. The system becomes incompatible when you connect the 2W incandescent dash indicator which expects high watt bulbs in each corner... which you no longer have.

I have only come up with 2 options to get 4-corner LED turn signals to work with the stock single turn indicator lamp in the speedometer...
    Option1 (easy to install) - Install a 50W LED load resistor into each side turn signal circuit (L/R). One 50W resistor on each side. These resistors do not need to be installed at the corners. You can install the resistor in the trunk where the L/R output from the turn signal switch splits into two to run to the front/rear. Just be cautious as these resistors can get VERY hot and can melt plastic. Install them somewhere that they can cool easily and will not melt anything nearby. Connect one end of the resistor to the 3-way junction where the black/green turn signal wires come together and the other end to a good ground. Do the same for the black/white wire junction. Each resistor will function like a 3rd turn signal bulb in the circuit.
    Once you have the resistor installed you should be able to reconnect the dash indicator lamp and everything should work as designed.

Option 2 (more complicated with more parts needed) - This arrangement will take a few more parts and work best if you plan to replace the dash indicator lamp with a brighter lamp or an LED bulb so your entire turn signal system uses LEDs. This arrangement also allows you to switch to a variable pulse LED flasher relay which allows you to control the flash rate. You will need to buy an indicator lamp that reverses the current flow direction for the turn indicator lamp in the speedometer. You can find very small wedge LEDs that will fit inside the round opening of the speedometer bulb holder but the bulb holder will have 2 wires so you can ground one wire and have the flasher relay power the other wire. This turns the dash indicator into a 3rd turn signal lamp on each side. You need to also buy a motorcycle turn signal diode adapter. This 3-wire adapter allows you to have a single bulb powered by both the left and right side turn signal wires. The diode adapter prevents current from one side bleeding over to the other side. You need to splice the 2-wire side of the diode adapter into the left and right side turn signal wires. The single wire side of the diode adapter goes to power the turn indicator lamp. When you power either side turn signal circuit the dash indicator lamp will pulse along with the corner lamps. This is not the stock turn indicator behavior so if you are a purist this is likely not for you.

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

I finally solved this... in a way that you may say is overly complex.

I used an Arduino, Adafruit current sensor and relay to monitor the current of the wire from the fuse box to the relay, if it goes up above 100mA then the relay triggers and the bulb goes on.

Wrong solution, rube goldberg? I don't know, but it works Smile

Full write up here: https://robonza.com/beetle/index.php/2024/03/24/fixing-the-indicator-light-in-a-66-beetle/

Video of it working

Link

Have an awesome weekend.

-Joe
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
I finally solved this... in a way that you may say is overly complex.

I used an Arduino, Adafruit current sensor and relay to monitor the current of the wire from the fuse box to the relay, if it goes up above 100mA then the relay triggers and the bulb goes on.

Wow, I can think of a common and much easier solution to your problem. That said, I don't always use the easy on obvious solution myself...

You could have simply connected the dash indicator light to the same terminal of the flasher that connects to the turn signal switch. It will cause the inside indicator light to flash opposite the turn signals, but works reliably.

On my buggy the dash indicator lights are all LEDs. The buggy used to be electric and the controller warning outputs where +12 volts when on and open when off. So all 4 dash lights are grounded and seek power to turn on. Easy for the high beams, easy for the turn signal flasher (any 3 terminal flasher with a "P" terminal). For the oil and alternator lights I have a little circuit board under the seat that reverses them. 2 SIP reed relays with 100 ohm 2 watt resistors in parallel with the coil get ignition switched power at one end. The other ends connect to the alternator and oil pressure switches. One relay contact of each relay is also connected to ignition switched power, the other ends connect to each of the dash lights. I could have switched the wiring under the dash -- but I don't like working under the buggy dash!
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

I swear I tried that, and once the dash bulb illuminated it caused the blinkers to go wonky. I'll try it again when this set up stops working Smile

Have a good one!
-Joe
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in replacing a missing blinker indicator light Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
You could have simply connected the dash indicator light to the same terminal of the flasher that connects to the turn signal switch. It will cause the inside indicator light to flash opposite the turn signals, but works reliably.

The principle behind this is the dash indicator lamp is powered by the ignition switch circuit and grounds thru the corner lamps in between pulses from the flasher relay. The wattage of the corner lamps must be much higher than the dash so the 2W flowing thru the dash bulb is insufficient to power the corner lamps. This is easy when the corner lamps require 25W each. 2W from the indicator lamp grounding thru the corners will not warm up the corner filaments.
But when the corner LED lamps only draw 2.5W each the 2W indicator lamp is a large percentage of the wattage needed to power the corner lamps.
When I set up a test circuit with LEDs in the corners and a 2W incandescent bulb or 2W LED as a dash bulb I could get the corner lamps to flash but instead of flashing ON/OFF they would flash bright/dim and would never actually turn OFF.

EVfun wrote:
On my buggy the dash indicator lights are all LEDs. The buggy used to be electric and the controller warning outputs where +12 volts when on and open when off. So all 4 dash lights are grounded and seek power to turn on. Easy for the high beams, easy for the turn signal flasher (any 3 terminal flasher with a "P" terminal).

The "P" terminal of flasher relays is for a "Pilot" lamp. Most of the time the P terminal provides a low watt 12v+ to power a grounded dash indicator lamp.
This could be an Option 3, swap the flasher relay for a 3 or 4-prong unit with a dedicated "P" terminal. The relay doesn't have to be a VW compatible one since we are deviating from stock wiring. Also replace the turn indicator bulb holder in the speedometer with one that has 2 terminals instead of 1. You could use a small LED bulb and holder that fits into the stock opening in the speedometer. Just insulate it so it doesn't short to the bulb holder. This modified bulb holder allows you to ground one of the terminals and power the other from the "P" terminal. Now the turn indicator lamp in the speedometer becomes a pilot lamp that flashes when the flasher relay is working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: