Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Porsche 914 trip-meter reset control on speedometer instr.?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: 1974 Porsche 914 trip-meter reset control on speedometer instr.? Reply with quote

Can someone please explain to me how to reset the trip-meter on the 914 speedometer? I found (upon removal of the speedo from the dash) a short cable that protrudes from the left rear side of the speedo that can reset the trip-meter, but it seems to not be connected to any button or knob that I can see on the front of the speedo (or on the instrument panel itself). ???

Cannot figure out where that short reset cable connects to anything on my 914... On most older cars, a reset 'push button' is located on the front-side bottom of a speedometer, but on my 914's speedo, no such button to be seen!. Brick wall Brick wall Question Question Question

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Porsche 914 trip-meter reset control on speedometer instr.? Reply with quote

PS: Checking my 914 Owner's Handbook, the instruction on paqes 12/14 state that a reset control is found below the speedometer (below the instrument panel) and is 'turned to reset the odometer'.

Ok, well enough, but searching my car's appropriate under-dash area, I see no such 'reset control.' I strongly suspect that the previous owner removed that part of the control that the distal cable end fits into (for resetting purposes). If that's true, there is no way of resetting the trip-meter short of manually grasping the cable's end and twisting it till zeros are registered on the trip-meter.

Sorry to waste anyone's time with this original question! I seem to have answered my own query (again). Sigh! d'oh!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: