Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connectors and portable solar panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I wonder to know if one of these three types of connectors might be your preferred for often plug / unplug to a solar panel without broken :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, I look for a good quality of 150 to 180 watts of a portable solar panel

Many thanks in advance

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and solar panels portable Reply with quote

The second pic connector is what I have. My cables are able to plug into my GoWesty solar connector port on the side of my Westy with that style of connector. From the GoWesty connector it goes to my solar charger, then to my battery.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and solar panels portable Reply with quote

I run MC4 connectors on all my solar cables with inline fuses. I will be replacing my city water hookup with a solar plug form Gowesty and that will be using the middle picture you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

I used the Renogy type

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-20FT-10AWG-Extension...E&th=1
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Anderson connectors (top) were the standard a decade ago, are repairable, but clumsy and needing regular attention.

The bottom ones are mostly for roof panels and not really for daily attach/detach.

The middle are SAE connectors and a new standard. They can fail easier, but if a portable panel is hit with wind they’ll pull apart before wire or connectors get damaged. Like them much better than Andersons.

Connectors that lock together or can’t easily separate on their own are a breakage waiting to happen.

Carry spare connectors no matter what.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Your first photo is a 50A Anderson connector. I use a smaller 30A version:

Parents' van uses the SAE connector in your second photo.

SAE has been around for decades; Anderson is newer. SAE is what GoWesty assembles their solar hookup box with. If you want a plug-and-play method, SAE. If you don't mind a bit of DIY, Anderson is an option.

Portable panels come primarily with SAE, Anderson, or MC4 (not as common these days).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Use an ATP connector and you're already compatible with Zamp Solar panels. The connector mounted in this port can be sourced on its own.

https://www.zampsolar.com/collections/roof-entry-c...t-roof-cap

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Just be careful with SAE connectors - there's no 'official' polarity. So as long as the same bit of wire with an SAE on it is only used for the same function (either supply or demand) you're OK - get it the wrong way round or borrow a mate's bit of gear wired the other way and you'll be looking for a new fuse at best.

The Anderson pole connectors cannot be muddled up, there is no inherent positional polarity.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Just be careful with SAE connectors - there's no 'official' polarity.

This is really a good point. I have marked my cables with a + on the correct side of the plugs so the line up.
Just recently changed out my SAE outlet, to find out the polarity of it is opposite from the one that was replaced.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

I just make sure the wires go red to red.

But almost had an accident before noticing!

— Colin Chapman
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

I use #2 pic, I have a small 50w panel that I tether and a 140w panel on the roof. I just close the pigtail in the drivers door door. I though of having the hookup more formal but the door works fine as the pigtail is very short to the connector with the longer tether wire to the panel.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I just make sure the wires go red to red.

When the cords come like what's shown below, ^that's not possible; you need to ensure which is + using a DVOM. Sometimes the connector housings are marked, but those little molded markings can be difficult to see.

Example:

Looking at just the cords out of the panel and controller, you don't which is + (controllers usually have marked terminals, yes, but trying to make a point Wink ).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I’ve never seen them in any other configuration beyond the first post photo.

Even that post 1 photo is confusing. When we buy a pair of the SAE wires/ends, one red goes to a male end and one to a female end, so after connecting together the wire colors continue on.

Advertising clarity is so 1900s.

— Colin Chapman
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

I used the #2 connectors with red and black wires and put in a simple port near the license plate to charge directly to the alternator post. I soldered the same connectors on my tire inflator so can use the same port "backwards," quite handy. Easy to come by and cheap.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

There is two others styles of connectors,
SUNCLIX and Phoenix connectors, quite similar, but it seems that they are easier to unplug / plug than the MC4 connector

(brown/tan interior)
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Hi,

While on the topic, anyone have recommendation on solar panel wire pass through gland?

I need to pass the cable from the solar panel through my Getaway High Top, Currently it's only a hole through the top with silicone and it's leaking.

Thanks

Mathieu
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

mathieux46 wrote:
Hi,

While on the topic, anyone have recommendation on solar panel wire pass through gland?

I need to pass the cable from the solar panel through my Getaway High Top, Currently it's only a hole through the top with silicone and it's leaking.

Thanks

Mathieu

Look for Marine electrical bulkhead fittings. I know West Marine sells them but Amazon probably does too.

I ran my wires thru the rear vent, twisted a drip loop and ran thru two grommets.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

^^^ Indeed. The part you seek is called a “cable gland”…waterproof, must be sized appropriately.

https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/collections/cable-glands

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

What brand of solar panel and wattage do you have, then how did you installed it on the roof, with screw ?

(brown/tan interior)
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Connectors and portable solar panels Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Hi Tim,

What brand of solar panel and wattage do you have, then how did you installed it on the roof, with screw ?

200 watt panel to replace the 135 watt I previously had mounted.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0851RPM1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used well nuts from Home Depot but they no longer sell the size I bought.
You can find them at other stores.

I used some black RTV around the top of the well nut to seal it to the roof before it was screwed down.
On the inside I added a fender washer and lock washer to the bolt but they have since been removed.
The bolt needs to be trimmed off was it's in place so nothing can get hit by what is sticking out.

Recent purchase is this flexible 130 watt panel and some suction mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M8426P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To connect to my SAE cable and outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZDL43MG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SAE outletI bought. It is hardwired to my CC in parallel with the roof top panel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N95L96V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

SAE outlet on the kitchen cabinet.

I still have and use the 100 watt folding panel but bought the flexible panel to stay in the Westy full time as the folder may not be needed everywhere.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: