Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
(Yesterday)…heated up the garage & installed Bus Depot H4 headlights.

Beautiful kit…these things look fantastic!

- Dave

I installed these a few years ago from Bus Depot, one of the best upgrades I've done. Nice wide light pattern on low beam and high beam is brighter than my 2018 Outback. I also installed the plastic light protectors for a just in case.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Atadloco wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

I installed these a few years ago from Bus Depot, one of the best upgrades I've done. Nice wide light pattern on low beam and high beam is brighter than my 2018 Outback. I also installed the plastic light protectors for a just in case.

Nice. Haven’t been out in the dark yet.

Just curious, what watt bulbs you running?

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Atadloco wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

- Dave

When I was still using DOT lights, I had relayed them and used high power bulbs, which, iirc, are not road legal, 80/100?. They lit up the road fairly well, but in heavy rain/blizzards, AWFUL light!
After installing the BD h4 lenses, I found I could use legal bulbs, (65/55w?) and see plenty well in all conditions.
I don't recall if the BD lenses came with bulbs, but I got bulbs recommended by Daniel Stern.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

do.dah wrote:

I don't recall if the BD [H4] lenses came with bulbs...

Mine did…standard Hella 55/60 halogens.

Cool

- Dave

Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Atadloco wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

- Dave

I believe I went with the ultimate kit, which has the 90/100 w bulbs.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

His & hers popup sunroofs (by PO) have been leaking since forever and replacement gaskets are NLA. Previous efforts to seal them have been partially successful but they have had to remain closed.
I have been trying to improve the seals and restore function.
Worked on them yesterday.

Tested today at the drive-thru car wash.
Results are encouraging- pass side still leaks but driver's side seems OK.
I'm not beat yet.

Syncro is pretty clean now.

Looks like rain is coming from the East...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Went for a nice drive around the neighborhood (~30 miles) then drained engine & tranny oil.

Decent looking magnet, this after 32,432 miles on “new” Wright rebuild, installed Aug. 2017:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tomorrow I’ll refill & install new trans fill plug with magnet option, then hit the road to
blow out some more cobwebs & finally finish up after dark aiming the new headlights.

Cool

- Dave

my_vw_sucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed an overpriced Blaupunkt Frankfurt and CarPlay tablet. It replaces a Boss in dash unit that was a pain in the ass. In the way of 3rd gear and didn’t work very well.

Also, replaced the map light with a USB charger. My daughter kept knocking the light out and shorting it against the dash. So this fixes that just missing a light.
my_vw_sucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

duplicate deleted

Last edited by my_vw_sucks on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
my_vw_sucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

duplicate deleted

Last edited by my_vw_sucks on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quote:
So this fixes that just missing a light.

You may want to consider these....

https://www.amazon.com/Suvnie-USB-Interior-Atmosph...7&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lipctine-Interior-Atmospher...9&th=1
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

(Finally) installed T3 HD anti-roll bar, HD end links & steering rack reinforce brackets…then out for a drive…

Well D@MN…I shoulda done this a while ago! All’a sudden this rig drives like a 40 year old, 8 foot tall race car!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Wink

- Dave

Really though, the handling clearly much more direct, precise & responsive…I love it! Cool

RicMcK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New 2.1 WBX engine (Rocky Jennings, Walla Walla WA) did the machining, modified AMC heads, 1.25 Rocker arms with elephant feet tappets. I did the final assembly. Rebuild transaxel (German Transaxel - Bend OR), clutch PP through out bearing, external oil cooler with thermostat sandwich plate, external oil pressure & temperature gauge, external coolant guage, SS expansion tank, engine mounts, shut-off valve on rear heater, moved front seat back about 3.5", removed AC phlenm.

Previous work over the past 5 months: included all new coolant hoses & SS pipes, all plastic cooling system parts, new injectors, fuel lines & regular, fuel tank & sender, R&R PS hoses, R&R washer pump, R&R ECU & engine wiring harnesses, CV Joints, de-rust and paint firewall and engine compartment, R&R master cylinder, R&R radiator fan switch & resister, coolant temp sensors, new headlights, driving lights & a LED light bar for DRL, instrument foil with red LEDs (on all the time), dimming interior LED lights, pop-top canvas, modified bus depot awning (now almost instant deployment), reflective bubble wrap window covers, external propane tank (3lb) & quick connect hose, extra muffin fans on the fridge, stereo with back up camera. LED string lights for awing, Rt front door external step, cruise control. Brakes, tires, and wheel bearings all good.

The up shot is that it runs perfectly! Quiet as a kitten, no leaks👍. I've put 200 miles on it and everything is still perfect 👍.

Here's what's left on my list. Front end alignment, fix AC (fan works on 2 speeds(not the switch) , but no compressor or radiator fan. R&R Rt front door window channel & seals, cargo seal.

Go and have some road trips.

Next year painting, and ???

2006 TDI Jetta
1936 Ford Pick up

Last edited by RicMcK on Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Beautiful! Cool …(except for that nasty looking AC compressor)… Shocked Wink

But please, tell us more about this awning mod…did I miss something somewhere?
RicMcK wrote:
…modified bus depot awning (now almost instant deployment)…

- Dave

RicMcK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The awing mod was. Replacing the fiberglass x poles with aluminum tent poles, then the outer legs are a pair of telescoping tarp poles, the side tubes were replaced with aluminum tent poles. Both the x poles and side poles now go through groments along with the telescoping legs.

I can keep edge poles fixed to the tarp, and I leave the outboard ends of the x poles attached to the outside corners of the tarp. I can then roll the legs and the x poles in the tarp and up against the bus (using the original gutter clamps. I then take 3 straps to secure it. Last I made a small stuff sack to go over the front end.

To deploy it. I remove the stuff sack and straps. Unroll the tarp and set the telescoping poles up, then un-fold the x poles, and put them in the groments and push them up to the tarp. Finally extend the legs and fix the guy ropes.

So before a trip I pre set up the awing and roll it up, and strap it to the gutter. For storage I remove and fold up
the aluminum poles and shorten the legs. Fold up the tarp. It all fits in a much smaller bag.

I'm gone for the next 2 months working in Chiaps Mexico (I run a nonprofit that works on water sanitation, and cookstoves, we will be holding new training workshops to deploy a new cookstove design. [waterforhumans.org]) , when I get home I will take some photos and links to the tent poles and legs, to try to better explain what I did and how it works.
2006 TDI Jetta
1936 Ford Pick up
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did the 171-419-341 --- Trust Ring replacement. Wanted do the metal one (111-953-535 like stated at the end of this post ) but couldn't wait and was able to outsource a plastic one locally. When I did it, 10 years ago, I've re-used the old one.

Now I had to sand down the paint (I'm allergic to rust Twisted Evil ) to be able to fit the new one. Tight and working good.

Also gave me a chance to have a look how my DIY horn contact was doing

Ahhhhrgh I'd say : good for an other 10 more years.

English is a second language to me
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got back on my DIY big brakes finally. First disassembled, because I have an early van needed to machine the back sides of mounting surfaces.

Next a bit of CAD work( cardboard aided design) to come up with correct spacers.

Test fitting

While I had it apart replaced lower ball joints with T3 ones. Reassembled the whole mess.

Still have to get new hoses. The calipers I’m using are from a 94 audi v8, the carriers are not exactly what I wanted,so the bleeders are on the bottom of caliper, not ideal but shouldn’t be a problem with power bleeding. Hope to have it done midweek.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice work. John
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

pathao wrote:
…gave me a chance to have a look how my DIY horn contact was doing

Ahhhhrgh I'd say : good for an other 10 more years...

<Just a touch> of dielectric grease smeared around the ring should help, get you at least another 20…???

Cool

- Dave

4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed the oil, took off the cone filter and put stock airbox back in, put in stock diverter valve.....had to pass smog...which Sally the Syncro did with flying colors. Zoom Zoom with the 1.8t.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 629 of 631

Jump to: