Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a later trans in an early oval by welding in a new front mount rather than using a bus nose cone?

If so, any other issues to be aware of?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

It will cause the front of the trans to be too low by 40mm (or maybe it's 60mm??). This will cause your muffler to be too high.
Don't create problems, use the Bus nose cone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

same opinion overhere, I would leave the chassis original and mount the bus nosecone.

I have recently mounted the bus nosecone, then it is plug and play

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
It will cause the front of the trans to be too low by 40mm (or maybe it's 60mm??). This will cause your muffler to be too high.

He is talking about welding in the front mounting plate to the front torsion tube so this won't be a true statement.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701173c

However, the original front mounting plate is actually cast into the center part of the torsion tube and will be difficult to remove. It will require a lot of cutting and grinding. Just get a bus nosecone and be done with it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

I haven't had a bus and beetle noise cone side by side for a while, but I recall it's not just the mount that is different, it's the shift rod height too. So raising the mount won't do any good, as now the shift rod would be above the tunnel and the nosecone will likely be hitting the floor.
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

I welded in that exact front mount for mine and used the regular nose cone for my transmission. No problems and pretty straight forward
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I haven't had a bus and beetle noise cone side by side for a while, but I recall it's not just the mount that is different, it's the shift rod height too. So raising the mount won't do any good, as now the shift rod would be above the tunnel and the nosecone will likely be hitting the floor.

Yes, the orientation of the mount holes and the shift rod are different between the two.

Use the stock mount plate on the torsion tube and you have to use the bus nose cone. Everything will line up.

Weld in the late style front mount plate on the torsion tube and you can use the standard sedan nose cone. Everything will line up.

He is suggesting the second option.

GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the info, very useful!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Bruce wrote:

He is talking about welding in the front mounting plate to the front torsion tube so this won't be a true statement.

If you weld on that bracket and use a late Beetle nose cone, the hockey stick will be centered in the hole going into the tunnel. This will cause the next casting on the trans (gear carrier) to be lower than if you use a Bus nose cone and the original mount. In other words, the front of the trans is tilted down. Causing the tail pipes to ride higher, possibly hitting the rear apron.
splitjunkie wrote:

Weld in the late style front mount plate on the torsion tube and you can use the standard sedan nose cone. Everything will line up.

The nose cone and hockey stick will line up, but it pulls the rest of the front of the trans down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

maybe I was lucky, but this was not the case when I did mine. Welded in that front transmission mount, used the mid-60s transmission, and everything lined up perfect. No issues with the tailpipes, how the engine sits, engine seals, etc.

My only complaint is the new transmission makes the stock 36hp engine slower but I'll use the motor until it gives up the ghost, then opt for something more powerful
Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Bus nosecone is the way to go. Bolt in easy.

The hockey stick is lower on a bus nosecone,that's why they are also used with '60s cars that have raised transmission mounts-to keep the shift rod in the tunnel.

My oval had a later tunnel case mount like welded in decades ago,like mentioned here previously it resulted in the nosecone being too low and the rear of the engine being too high. Probably worked ok as a beater with the 40hp that was in it,but...

In my case, I welded in a solid mid mount (cal look car,not concerned with noise) and ran a bus nose cone to keep the shift rod in the stock location,simply eliminating the nose cone mount altogether.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

This is the route I took, super easy..
Fits 60 and earlier Beetle and 67 and earlier bus. Perfect for installing full syncro box into 60 and earlier Beetle.
https://ranchotransaxles.com/product/type-2-nose-cone/

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
This is the route I took, super easy..
Fits 60 and earlier Beetle and 67 and earlier bus. Perfect for installing full syncro box into 60 and earlier Beetle.
https://ranchotransaxles.com/product/type-2-nose-cone/

That's your standard bus nosecone which is what the OP was asking if he could avoid using. Wolfsburg West as well as others sell them. Definitely the best way to go, although a '60 presents a problem because of the one year only front mount. Best option for a '60 is to remove the front mount and weld in the later front mount plate and use a standard sedan nose cone.

jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

The reason I went with welding in a new mount was to avoid mutt parts. In my mind, it made it too complicated to have to keep track of which years/models were with what parts if I ever had to service anything.
Chip26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Consider using a bus nose cone or welding in a new mount while considering shift rod height and transmission compatibility, and consulting with experts for a safe and reliable installation of a later transmission in an early oval VW.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Later trans WITHOUT bus nose cone? Reply with quote

Chip26 wrote:
Consider using a bus nose cone or welding in a new mount while considering shift rod height and transmission compatibility, and consulting with experts for a safe and reliable installation of a later transmission in an early oval VW.

It's really not that hard.

You have a '59 and earlier, not including splits with the doughnut mount, and you don't want to modify the pan, you use a bus nosecone.

You don't mind modifying the pan, cut off the old mount plate as necessary and weld in a late model front mount plate and use a standard sedan nosecone.

Easy Peasy. I don't know why people over complicate it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: