Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there any pre-made side steps???
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

My wife would like me to put a side step on the buggy so she could more easily get in and out.
I can fabricate something if I have to, but was hoping there was a good one already out there.

Anything come to mind? Any pics?
Thanks!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

I am not aware of any. I was just looking through the photo gallery and did find one yellow Buggy that had steps on it but like most of the older photos it is ruined by photobucket.

If I were to do that I think I would build some to look like knurf bars ahead of the rear tires and extend them forward a bit. The newest picture in that thread shows a purple one with those sort of bars but has a smaller bar that is on an angle and in the way.
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

I made running boards for mine years ago when the kids were little to save the fiberglass sides of the buggy. They were formed out of stainless. I bolted square tube underneath and had the steps slide in and lock with a hitch pin. Also I mounted 2 metal ammo boxes in the same mounts to switch out if I wanted locking storage. Used both ammo boxes for our route 66 trip the other year, stored tools and parts in them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

The photo gallery has bunches of pics of nerf bars.That used to be a thing, but I only know if the beetle mount ones now.
I imagine something simple could be used as a step.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

Maybe make or modify some Beetle baja side bars. Would be easy to add a top plate for a step --

Last edited by Kafer_Mike on Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

Obviously not pre-made, but they are simple and function well to help my fat butt climb in and out of my buggy. They also provide a measure of protection for the sides.
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any pre-made side steps??? Reply with quote

Wow! All great pics and ideas. I really like yours @luftwagen 2180. I think i can work with that idea.

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: