Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spirit76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The little brass tab in amongst the bayonet tabs on the bulbholders has to make good contact with the back of the cluster, otherwise the bulb can't ground.
Try cleaning up around the hole, and bending the tab out a little for better contact.

Thanks I was wondering where the ground was coming from. The holes on the back are pretty chewed up, not sure what the PO did there. Any options to ground them a different way?
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

Spirit76 wrote:
Thanks I was wondering where the ground was coming from. The holes on the back are pretty chewed up, not sure what the PO did there. Any options to ground them a different way?

https://www.jbugs.com/product/141957397A.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spirit76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Spirit76 wrote:

https://www.jbugs.com/product/141957397A.html

Thanks, I just replaced the holders when I put the new bulbs in today. The backing plate holes are what is chewed up so it may not be making contact.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

sorry, if you already said this, are you sure the backing plate is grounded?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spirit76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
sorry, if you already said this, are you sure the backing plate is grounded?

The bright headlight indicator lights up as do the battery and turn signals. Unless they are grounded differently. Where would the ground come from?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

Battery and turn signals don't use a trditional ground, but the high beam does, but it could be finding a ground path through other bulbs, it can't hurt to confirm there's continuity between the back of the cluster and the tab on the body near the wiper motor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Spirit76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Battery and turn signals don't use a trditional ground, but the high beam does, but it could be finding a ground path through other bulbs, it can't hurt to confirm there's continuity between the back of the cluster and the tab on the body near the wiper motor.

Thank you, I will check that out this weekend when I get some time to dig back into it. I appreciate all the help. New to this as I inherited this bus from my son and want to keep her running and happy as it was something he always wanted.
Spirit76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Decided not to wait until this weekend. Tested it an nothing. Found a few brown wires bundled together with large spade connectors, so I plugged one into the tabs on the back of the panel. And I got lights. Wonder if I should plug the rest of the brown wires into the remaining tabs, may fix some other issues.

Thanks again for the VW electrical for dummies lesson.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

brown wires are ground wires.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

One fatter brown wire goes between the ground star and the body, then all the other brown wires connect to the remaining tabs on the star.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: