Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single 40 IDF Intake Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Love my bored out 34PICT but its time to move on, getting bored with the stock setup.
Knock-off IDF from Ebay stripped it down cleaned all passages, Srcnonized the butterfly's, set the float level. Did a homebrewed vent extension along with idle jet extensions.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Using 3/4 .070 wall tube for the heat risers and my basic manual bender along with my 3 times rebuilt Wilton bandsaw it still cuts straight damn thing wont die.

Bought a steel flange off Ebay and a 1.5inch .060 wall bend off summit.

Using a radius tool blended the main down tubes on the lathe, a small ADJ wrench time and patience got a nice fit on the base flange. DO not run a lathe with this much stick out its extremely dangerous my lathe is small im forced to do stupid things

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Cool, but I would have been more excited to see you building an intake for a carter 1bbl. I know you have considered it it the past.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Yea a single 40mm carb would be nice. The china carter copy has a few issues that cant be fixed and a real one is 300+$ its rebuilt but with a sloppy worn throttle shaft. I keep checking the online inventory for junkyards near me not a single 1980s F150 with the 300.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

That is a South Bend isn't it? Looks very familiar.

Just a thought here, I would be very uncomfortable with the switch back there. If anything goes left and is spinning out of control... you are going to have to reach past it to shut the machine off... you have some large arteries on the underside of your upper arm...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Switch is relocated to the front under the bench that one is not connected yes very dangerous spot indeed its a 1940 South-Bend with an 1915 General electric cast iron motor. Torque monster it has Bushings with a felt pad you oil every so often

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

I saw a guy with a Rochester monojet, once. It seemed to be working well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

What a great thread! cant wait to see the final product

Aaaand the comment “ why ddint you just go with duals??” In 3…2…1…
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Why didn't you just use duals?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

WOW you even gonna have heat risers. Shocked
AWESOME Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Turns out the flange was 1/16th to wide carb wouldn't fit on the studs checked online to find a blueprint for the bolt pattern the china carb was spot on what the hell! Had to cut the flange wont buy anything from that eBay seller again. Gotta love the old 22.5 deg pie cut helped get the heat riser around that tight curve not the best flow but it will work just fine. CB performance has a crude 90deg angle flow path with pipe plugs and it works so Im told. My GF got me the Bi material Evolution miter saw for Xmas its amazing everybody needs one they are great!!!!

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Looking good.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Make sure you get one of those heat risers connected to a part of the exhaust where it will pull a good vacuum. It makes a big difference in how well they work
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

I love this, its called engine-oooo-ity LOL

I got a single 40 setup im working on but doing things just a little different, when i get to it after i finish cleaning/painting tins for new motor ill post it
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Looks like you got your flange lined out, but i was going to say that i have CAD’ed a base for IDF’s and 3D printed some as 1/4” templates, if you wanted one to be able to cut / have a new flange cut. I know for a fact these are accurate, nice thing about being able to print them
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Made some top IDF gaskets that have holes for the idle jet extensions. Cricut machines are robust not just for old lady crafters. Car guys can use them too. Laughing

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Back from Easter. Got a fair amount done, it mounts like stock using the upper case stud. I want the intake to come out with the generator and shroud in place so I did a slip connection. Routing the heat riser tubes is more time consuming then I thought but it fits nice still have to finish the top 180 deg connection under the carb that's for next time.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

That's effing amazing! The talent that this group has knows no bounds. Shocked Cool

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

What are your plans for linkage?. Something like this might work:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

That looks nice very clean.

This is my universal linkage kit Laughing
Picked out anything useful. I found a 1/2 rod of O1 tool steel so that sweet! I'm going to buy some split clamp collars online had good results with them in the past. I also like the bike chain linkage idea.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

After you get this one done you aughta make an intake for a DCOE. I have an old one but you dont see them very often
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: