Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing intake manifold rubber
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PorschefanRoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Replacing intake manifold rubber Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm guessing this is quite a basic question, but I'm not sure if I'm using the correct name. I want/need to replace these rubbers as they are very dried out and are starting to crack. I have no idea what they are called or what the part number is. They are used on a single weber 32/36 carburetor and a 1.7 Type 4 engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess I also have to replace the gaskets on this side, as i think I'll need to remove the pipes in order to get the rubbers out:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this the gasket I need for my engine:
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/engine/carburetor-air-filter-inlet-manifold/42132/
Or something like this:
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/engine/carburetor-air-filter-inlet-manifold/42133/

Is there a place where I can find torque specs, or info on how tight I need to retorque these bolts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing intake manifold rubber Reply with quote

The first link is a better choice for gaskets fr a progressive manifold, the flanges are never fully flat and the metal gaskets don't seal.
The rubber boots are from a type 1 dual port 1600 manifold, search for parts for a 1971 bus, or 71-74 beetle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing intake manifold rubber Reply with quote

Buy quality boots, there is a lot of junk out there. Note that the bottoms of the boots typically looks far worse than the tops.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing intake manifold rubber Reply with quote

Buy quality boots, there is a lot of junk out there. Note that the bottoms of the boots typically looks far worse than the tops.
PorschefanRoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing intake manifold rubber Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the responses, I will go for the heavy duty inlet gaskets.

For the rubber boots, I'll need something like this, if I understand you correctly:
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/engine/carburetor-air-filter-inlet-manifold/5110/

They are for a 1600cc type 1 engine, but as I'll understand from @busdaddy they'll fit on my intake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: