Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace rear stub axle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

Axles will be hanging at extreme and un-natural angles up on stands.
The CVJ's might not appreciate that. As for myself, I wouldn't dream of tormenting my bus with disassemblies, etc., unless it was actually misbehaving. Maybe you just got a possum hung up back there somewhere for a bit, and then dropped it. May it RIP.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

I would certainly pull both rear drums and get a peek of the brakes.

Does your setup have separate hubs and drums or are they combined into one unit?

Pulling and inspecting the magnetic drain plug on the transaxle should tell you if something has failed inside the box. You can use the fill plug to stopper the hole while you have the drain plug out to inspect. Lots of fuzz on the magnet is normal, chunks are bad.
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

Thanks - will take care with axle angles / CVJs; and will certainly have a look at brakes and inspect magnetic plug.

G [PS: no possums round here!]
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

So: ran bus all winter - no further noise from rear. But now it has started again..... I convinced myself that it had to be the CV Joint(s) but have just had a look under raised rear end: minimal play in CVJs rotationally; boots sound. Anything le3se before I start a strip down and replacement of the shafts and CVJ?

G

PS: Brakes OK and make no difference to noise, which definitely worsens under acceleration. But it can disappear for 20km and then reappear for the next 5km as I head home.
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

PPS: when the noise is present, if I jack up the rear right so wheel is suspended (and presumably the CVJ on that side is fully articulated / shaft is at its full extension) then on resuming driving the noise disappears. I did this while en route with a trailer to resolve an "emergency" - the bus is the only vehicle I have with a tow hook. Does this underline / confirm CVJ issue?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

Rooikop wrote:
PPS: when the noise is present, if I jack up the rear right so wheel is suspended (and presumably the CVJ on that side is fully articulated / shaft is at its full extension) then on resuming driving the noise disappears. I did this while en route with a trailer to resolve an "emergency" - the bus is the only vehicle I have with a tow hook. Does this underline / confirm CVJ issue?

Move the small ends of the boots along the shaft to force the axle shaft one way or the other and see if you can make the noise go away. If one way doesn't work, try the other.

Probably time to service the joints and maybe swap the half shaft assemblies between sides of the vehicle.
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replace rear stub axle Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like a CVJ service is definitely a priority - and I'll try swapping the shafts over at the same time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: