Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Disc Brake Comparison
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

space wrote:
Converted to rear discs and never looked back
Would do it to any and all future vanagons

Ditto. One of the best upgrades done to my van. The drums, completely overhauled not terribly long after buying the van, never worked adequately, particularly in the e-brake department. Now, I don't need to use a chock when parking on hills.

GoWesty kit.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I love mine, absolutely an improvement in consistency and parking brake compared to the drums.

I went GoWesty after buying a full Epytec kit because I couldn't find a local shop to turn my hubs. My brother also got the GW kit after trying mine and I gave the Epytec kit to my Dad because he has a couple hobby machinist friends. The price between GoWesty and Epytec was a wash once you include machining and finding all the extra parts you need to source.

One thing l like about the GW F/R kit is that both calipers are from 'trucks,' so I could get matched pad compounds front and rear. I put in EBC Green Stuff pads to get goo initial bite and a consistent braking feel as you modulate pressure.

In regard to the proprietary disks from GW, I figure if I buy an extra pair of front and rear rotors in the next year or so and replace everything in 5-6 years ( I never turn rotors) that gets me at least another decade of good braking. In a decade there will either a) GW will still sell the disks, b) there will be a good alternative kit to try or c) a lot of other stuff will change and driving a 50+ year old vehicle regularly will be a bit impractical.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I went GoWesty rear disc as well and I have to say I love them. I also did the front GoWesty big brakes and installed the bmw bigger brake booster. The combo of the booster and both front and rear discs provide great stopping power. A noticeable improvement over stock. Recently I drove with the parking brake on for a fair distance. There was a bunch of clothing piled over the hand brake lever and I just spaced it. I heated up the rear rotors pretty good. These things are so beefy that there is almost no way these things are going to warp. The parking brake actually holds very well when parked. I am very happy with the overall setup. The main improvement comes from the entirety of the system, booster, big front brakes and rear disc conversion. I'm not sure how much of a difference someone would notice from just adding one component and not the others.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Epytec is my vote. I know this is not part of the thread, but I did want to share for those interested in a better priced rear disc conversion. This comes out to about half the price of the kits listed. Though you do have to order custom brake lines, but that is not hard to do.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9622397

custom brake lines: https://www.brakematerialsandparts.com
This guy also rebuilds all kinds of fancy brake components. He did some tractor brakes for me and did an exceptional job. He could certainly rebuild a brake booster as well.
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I have the gowesty big brake kit in the front and gowesty disc rear. My parking brake works great and I have a super steep crazy downhill to get off my Mesa. I love the setup.

Just sharing my experience.

-Joe
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

mathieux46

I see you are repurposing the front sway bar, how did that work out for you?

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I went with the gowesty rear kit lest year when they had a slight sale during Black Friday. The price $700? Is pretty comparable to what a proper refresh of the rear drums will cost.

Install was super easy, parking brake is great and I just bought an extra set of rotors for future replacement.

It’s worth the money just to not mess with drums.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Jake59,

Yes I reused the front sway bar in the back. Much improvement on the handling, combined with T3technique front Koni shocks all around, 255/40r17 rear tire, body roll is gone!!

See details here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341321
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I went piecemeal putting together a package for my rear disc brake set-up. I've not installed it yet. The project will be something I get to this winter.

On the flip-side, as many of you know, I've pulled a popup camper with my 84 Vanagon without stopping issues. It has performed well under various circumstances. But, I decided to go with disc brakes.

Side note: My piecemeal approach is only slightly cheaper than one of the package deals from the various vendors that have been mentioned in this Thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xstreamcanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Epytec ships to us now. Look at their options too.

If you want to test drive my westy with the Epytec brackets and T4 brakes, (same as Burley) you are welcome too. I'm near the north end of lk wa.

I know this was a while ago but wondering did you also get a good ebrake with this setup, and if so what were the steps for that?
akciddento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I have several T3s and have driven before and after with all round brake upgrades. I have a 1986 double sliding door van with audi TT front vented discs and golf rear disc conversion and the difference in driving experience and safety is night and day, from before to after. This is especially apparent if there is any load in the van - eg passengers or camping gear.
I also have a fully loaded westfalia with Oettinger style brakes all round and that stops and drives much more like a modern vehicle. My '83 Double Cab is still on stock discs and drums and so I can swap and compare driving experience side by side. Even though the Doka is lighter than the westie and the double slider the other two out perform it easily and the driving experience is much more reassuring.
One thing I would note is to check what parts are used on the upgrade and how easy they are to a) identify b) source ....

the parts in the Oettinger style brakes on the westie are a mix match of audi, BMW? and Mercedes from the 1980's and are proving a pain to decode and replace - I have a full Epytec rear kit (using T4 brake rotors etc) to possibly replace then and the epytec kit looks (so far) to be very good quality...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

xstreamcanadian wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:
Epytec ships to us now. Look at their options too.

If you want to test drive my westy with the Epytec brackets and T4 brakes, (same as Burley) you are welcome too. I'm near the north end of lk wa.

I know this was a while ago but wondering did you also get a good ebrake with this setup, and if so what were the steps for that?

Yes, my e-brake is excellent. holds better than my Golf! It uses a Cofle cable from a Mk 2 Jetta with Rear Disc Brakes. I have the part number somewhere, it is also posted on here by me in a couple of different threads related to the Epytec and T4 conversion.

Parking brake cables: Cofle 191609721F
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

My driver's side backing plate appears to be disintegrating. Might be time to pull the trigger on the GW kit.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

If you have bigger brakes up front and in back, does it require getting a BMW Booster to ensure acceptable pedal feel?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
If you have bigger brakes up front and in back, does it require getting a BMW Booster to ensure acceptable pedal feel?

Have not noticed it takes more.
Mercedes ML320 discs up front, 303mm.
Eurovan disc on rear.
Semi-organic brake pads. Ceramic brake pads will require more and do not work well at winter cold temps.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:

It's about the piston area really, depends on what you have mounted.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Does anyone know what caliper and rotor SCP is using in their rear disc kit?

Rear vented is a nice addition, but if it is a "car" caliper it is less intriguing.
So far it seems everyone is reporting the T4 Eurovan caliper is up to the task.

I think they are circa 1990 Audi V8 Quattro with Zimmerman discs.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I'm about to finally install my GoWesty rear disc brake kit that I bought two years ago. I have the "bigger" GoWesty front brakes, and I went with their "proprietary" rear rotor because I should never have to replace them. Think about it. If you're worried about it, buy two extra rotors now (they're cheap), and rest in peace.

As for rear drum brakes, the trials and tribulations of sub-standard aftermarket parts are well documented. Yes, I know you like your rear drum brakes. Should I show you the brake shoe wear patterns on mine? Talk to me while I hand-adjust the brakes on my splitty Wink.

I will be back to report in a few weeks. If they suck, I will let you know.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I haven't upgraded my rear brakes and I am very interested in how the e-brake is compared to a healthy drum brake setup. My e-brake is okay overall but the strong the better.

Small Car I believe is working on a wilwood kit.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I haven't upgraded my rear brakes and I am very interested in how the e-brake is compared to a healthy drum brake setup. My e-brake is okay overall but the strong the better.

Small Car I believe is working on a wilwood kit.

fwiw my disc e-brake holds very well, much better than the drum did
Audi calipers
I believe SC uses the same at the moment
Rear discs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: