Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find"
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Thanks Sled and Everett
The vin tag isn't legible

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With it potentially being CKD I assume the vin tag was either not stamped or it was done in a way that hasn't lasted, or just due to the heavy surface rust it just isn't legible anymore.

Everett, Great to see the 6's in your old 54 single cab. Thanks for that. That makes me more certain about the number now. Only thing that would be nice to see is if someone has a chassis number with a 5 in it 🤞
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Here is my ‘52, also kinda difficult to read but it says 35748

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Thanks Sled.
Hmm. Now this has thrown me off a bit. You 5 has a smaller lower half than the number of mine I believe to be a 5....maybe what I believe to be a five is actually a 6 as the lower half is almost identical to the 6 I have...and maybe the top is throwing me off and it looks like a top of a 5 but maybe it could be a 6....hmmm....would be interested to see another chassis number 5 to compare....if anyone is kind enough to chime in!!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

SISKOZ wrote:
Thanks Sled and Everett

With it potentially being CKD I assume the vin tag was either not stamped or it was done in a way that hasn't lasted, or just due to the heavy surface rust it just isn't legible anymore.

You may be giving up too quickly. You can start by removing the tag and soaking it in vinegar. It might show just enough of what you need to help you make a decision. You'll want to use it again at any rate.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Thanks for your input blue baron. I'm going to be with it today so I'll give that a go! You're right...cleaning it up is something I can do now anyway.

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the birth certificate.

I'm awaiting the start of a MIG welding course I've signed up for.
With the barndoor serving as an apprentiship of sorts for learning the craft.
Super motivated to make a start disassembling and then reassembling probably a lot like Stan of the nova scotia barndoor build with a body off disassembly and chassis on jig reassembly. Watch this space!
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Went in today to soak my vin plate in vinegar as suggested by blue baron.
Seems to be working well. I'll leave it for 24 hours..but can already see that it's stamped 54 in the year area. Unsure whether the chassis number is stamped yet.
Had a better go at my chassis number with ospho and a light acid that my panelbeater had...cleaned it up well and I think I can now confidently say that my chassis number is -20-086856- which is what I first thought. Fortunately that is the number I added to my birth certificate application...which I should have soon.

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Before

After 6 hours of vinegar

SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

Is there anything more exciting than receiving a birth certificate for you volkswagen?! Well, I've just received mine.

I thought it was a may 54 but the birth certificate states 15th June manufacturing date and 28th June delivery.

Interesting it was delivered to jowett , landing in Auckland and from what I can understand it may have been part of the first shipment of Built ups to new zealand? Or was it ckd?

Unsure why it says Australia as destination? That's interesting.

Quite a list of M-Codes too!
M007 - without tyres (maybe that would be in line with being ckd as they had to use nz parts where possible?)
M008 - Without battery....same reason as above?
M010 - Dust filters for engine compartment..(I think I've heard of that option for Australian barndoors?)
M018 - large reflector in brake light (I don't know anything about this option I'd love someone to chime in here)
M020 - mph speedo (makes sense as we using mph in those days)
M068 - 2 Towing hooks in front (once again haven't heard of this one)
M069 - With seats in load/passenger compartment (wish I still had them)
M103 - Heavy duty shock absorbers

If there are any experts out there who know about the Nz and Australian first barndoors I'd love to see how you piece this together.
I'll be searching the Samba to learn more.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

SISKOZ wrote:
Thanks Sled and Everett

Everett, Great to see the 6's in your old 54 single cab. Thanks for that. That makes me more certain about the number now. Only thing that would be nice to see is if someone has a chassis number with a 5 in it 🤞

Check halfway on this page, good treatment to revive a plaque
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

I was fortunate to be given the contact details of the owner previous to the person I bought the bus off. After a bit of back and forward I managed to get a hold of him today, he's a farmer in the lower south island of New Zealand. His father purchased the bus in the 70's as they needed a vehicle to deliver the hay out to the farm animals. The bus was purchased as a complete bus and the father did the engineering to convert to a suitable vehicle for farm use. I've asked the son if any of the parts may still be around and he's going to look over the next few weeks. So hopefully there's still some parts laying around. Fingers crossed.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

SISKOZ wrote:
Unsure why it says Australia as destination? That's interesting.

NZ was likely thought too small of a port of entry, with the main distributor for the entire region based in Australia.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

SISKOZ wrote:
I was fortunate to be given the contact details of the owner previous to the person I bought the bus off. After a bit of back and forward I managed to get a hold of him today, he's a farmer in the lower south island of New Zealand. His father purchased the bus in the 70's as they needed a vehicle to deliver the hay out to the farm animals. The bus was purchased as a complete bus and the father did the engineering to convert to a suitable vehicle for farm use. I've asked the son if any of the parts may still be around and he's going to look over the next few weeks. So hopefully there's still some parts laying around. Fingers crossed.

That's exciting news, I hope it will bring you some nice and useful suprises.
SISKOZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Zealand RHD pre55 found - "farm find" Reply with quote

While I wait to see what parts the 2nd previous owner may have, I managed to find someone who seemed to think they may have some early bus parts and an air cleaner to suit my '66 camper project.

I just got the parts and tried to find info on what I'm looking at. I thought I'd put it out there to the community to help me determine what they're for. Let me know what you think!

I was told this gear lever extension is aftermarket and suitable for a late split. Inside the gear knob it has vw and the numbers 111/113.711.141

Laughing

I was told this ice pick door handle is from an early bus

I was told this headlight glass and ring was from an early bus...from what i can find online it seems it's from a 356 porsche/ beetle

It has k1031 k11017 13-21334 k11015 A HELLA NL

And finally I was told this air cleaner would suit a late split (for my 66 project)

I didn't pay a lot for these parts so I was willing to take the risk that some or all may actually not be suitable.

If you know what you're looking at - please let me know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: