Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road camshaft??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the info! i am chewing on all this and appreciate all info and opinions. my main goal for this motor is an obviously powerful but reliable motor and it will be ran at max 10 times a year unless i get a street car or baja...then ill drive it daily....would like to get a decent amount of miles out of this motor before a full teardown
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Sad to see all the folks that are bored to death with all the 40-50 year old cams. Lots of old wives tales and myths that follow them. New guys that insist there is something more modern and newer that has to be better. All of us are still playing around with these 50, 60, & 70 year old VW's

The VZ series cams were designed for off-road racing back in the 70's where class rules limited you to a single carb and stock ratio rockers. If you're building an engine with dual carbs and 1.4 ratio rockers the FK series cams (also ground in the 70's) are a much better choice for power and longevity.

I have an 1835cc built 30 years ago with a VZ-25 cam, cast crank, and cast pistons. I've put 600 1/4 mile passes and 30K street miles on it and still running great sitting under the bench as a back-up spare.

Weather you choose Engle cams or Web cams is just a personal preference just like arguing between a Ford or a Chevy.

Do you still use bias ply tires? Just wondering.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Do you still use bias ply tires?

Yes I do. The slicks on my drag race car are bias ply.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Very Happy
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

I run bias ply’s on my “street” rail, motorcycle tires upfront and dirt track on the rear, im pretty sure the motorcycle tires are rated 120 or 140 mph? and their just run of the mill tires, are your run of the mill radials speed rated that high? Not to mention they’re tougher than any equivalent size radial. Just sayin …
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Aww come on. As long as everything is in a straight line Bias ply tires are fine. Once you wanna go around corners, and preferably fast its a different story. The first radials were patented already in 1914 by Hamilton & Sloper, in London, but it took quite a while before they caught on.
The first car fitted with radials ab factory (in modern history) was Citroen 2CV in 1948. The first US car fitted with radials from factory was the 1970 Lincoln Continental MkIII. By 1970 almost all Europeian cars were factory equipped with Radials while it was significantly into the 80´s before we can say the same about US produced cars.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Maybe, but i also know that the rail i mentioned will make a 40 minute back road trip to the lake in 20 without hardly trying, most corners i can just drop it in third and take without ever touching the brakes and again thats not even trying to push it. I dont know to many radial equipped cars that’ll take those corners like that with such little effort, granted the rail weighs half what most cars do but tire for tire... My point mainly is the bias ply dig on racerdave wasnt really that great, regardless of him acting like a jackass when i ask an odd ball question, he still had a good point here and the bias tire dig wasnt really thought through, theres some bad ass bias ply’s out there and some real shitty radials. I absolutely love the bias’s on my rail and dont think you’d find equivalent performing radials in the same sizes. Although now that i write this out, racerdaves point of people thinking new has to be better even though were all working on stuff thats a half century old …. Maybe all ya’ll did was prove his point. Haha “I believe the word your looking for is ironic “ ( quote from the movie lets go to prison )
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Great off road cam discussion here.

LMFAO Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road camshaft?? Reply with quote

Yeh because this is the first thread to ever get sidetracked ….. uuuuuuuurRRR!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: