Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

I am in the planning stages for a 4 seater off road buggy and will be building a 2332 (94x84) turbo EFI motor. I will not rev over 6k rpm. I have an aluminum raised roof case and an Empi 84mm crankshaft, will this handle the power, or do I need to consider other options? I have only seen a few broken cranks and they were all welded stroker 90mm or factory German. Please share your experiences.
Thanks
Kenric
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

My limited experience says yes. Revmaster crank I purchased in 2011, held 275+ with slicks and 6500+ rpm launches just fine. It's recently been put out to pasture, and will soon enjoy the easy life pushing my children around in a mild(boosted 😁)2180 powering my bus.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
I am in the planning stages for a 4 seater off road buggy and will be building a 2332 (94x84) turbo EFI motor. I will not rev over 6k rpm. I have an aluminum raised roof case and an Empi 84mm crankshaft, will this handle the power, or do I need to consider other options? I have only seen a few broken cranks and they were all welded stroker 90mm or factory German. Please share your experiences.
Thanks
Kenric

I am not surprised the 90mm cranks broke, the longer the stroke the weaker the crank. Plus, 90mm cranks need all T4 mains to have to have a chance for a long life. The new Empi crank design is better than the old one, taller checks for more cross-section strength. Hope your crank is not the chevy journal, they are weaker, less overlap. The more ridged the crank is the better.

There are many factors that determine how strong a crank is. Here is my 86mm Porsche journal crank with T4 CM, one of the strongest ever made. You can see how thick the cheeks are because of the narrow Porsche journals.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
You can see how thick the cheeks are

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

If a 4340 chinese crank wont hold that much power, what other crank options are available?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
If a 4340 chinese crank wont hold that much power, what other crank options are available?

The question is not if it will hold that much power but how long will it hold it. The flexing and bending will eventually cause small fatigue cracks which in time will cause a complete failure. The less it bends and flexes the longer it will last.

This is a pic of my 84mm DPR crank. Extra gusseted counterweight, drilled rod journals to increase the effectiveness of the counterweights, Porsche 2.165" rod journals. Cost me $550 back in 2014. Is in use now in my 61 bug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

It'll handle 10 pounds of boost just fine imo, for short bursts.
The goal is realistic.

High rpm or sustained rpm over 5000 is usually what breaks cranks.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

modok is correct, the other factor is quality control. How consistent are China parts? IMO not as good as a German core crank modded into a stroker crank.
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, the crank that I plan to use is Chevy journal, I will have everything balanced after 1st assembly. I understand that DPR and others build very nice stroker cranks but feel that a welded stroker crank looses core strength as the stroke increases. Also is cyro treating cylinders a worthwhile procedure for a turbo motor? Thanks Again for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.
Kenric
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

With 275 HP another thing you need to worry about is the flywheel sheering the dowel pins off the crank. You need to consider wedge mating the crank & flywheel or getting a flanged crank.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

you will twist the 8 dowels off regardless. Should be at least wedgemated. Or, better option is to step up to a Flanged crank. They are significantly better quality.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Will a China crankshaft handle 275HP and 275ft/lbs? Reply with quote

As I agree a flanged or wedgemate is better, I have been using standard 8 dowell in a 2300 lb car on slicks running mid 1.50 60 ft times for over 4 years, motor makes close to 350 hp. No clutch management, just standard stage 3 and a repadded 6 puck.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: