Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

My 95 EVC propane tank service valve (the on/off valve on the tank) leaks badly when I open the valve. The hoses are brand new,...just replaced but now when I open the valve it leaks badly just under the control knob,.....where the "Packing" or seal would be.

I have a new valve, however I have no idea how to empty the tank safely so that the old valve can be removed and new one installed.

I am assuming that if I just unscrew the old valve, allowing the tank to vent, that the force of the escaping propane would make installing the new valve difficult, potentially impossible, and,.....of course there would be the risk of a horrific explosion killing me and destroying my van and anything else near by.

I have twice driven to remote areas and opened the valve and just walked away from the van for 20-30 minutes,....but the van's propane tank level indicator still shows that the tank is 3/4 full (assuming that it is accurate).

Just occurred to me that perhaps removing the tank, then taking it to a remote location, and allowing it to vent might be a possible solution.

Thoughts?

Brian in Austin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
My 95 EVC propane tank service valve (the on/off valve on the tank) leaks badly when I open the valve. The hoses are brand new,...just replaced but now when I open the valve it leaks badly just under the control knob,.....where the "Packing" or seal would be.

Just occurred to me that perhaps removing the tank, then taking it to a remote location, and allowing it to vent might be a possible solution.

Thoughts?

Brian in Austin

It's possible a propane supplier might be able to empty the tank via the fill valve. Otherwise, your idea of venting it in a safe location sounds fine. I'd be inclined to get a long propane hose you can thread into the service valve, and use that to get most of the propane at least to vent away from the van.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59035-Propane-Supply-Hose/dp/B0056ODEVW

Once the flow stops, simply shut off the valve, have the new one ready (apply any thread sealant needed, if the new one doesn't come with it pre-applied) and then just undo the old valve, and thread the new one in. If you don't leave the tank standing open for a long while, the amount of air introduced shouldn't be enough to require the tank be purged.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

quote="TheOneTrueQuux"]
bcolins wrote:

Thoughts?

Brian in Austin

It's possible a propane supplier might be able to empty the tank via the fill valve. Otherwise, your idea of venting it in a safe location sounds fine. I'd be inclined to get a long propane hose you can thread into the service valve, and use that to get most of the propane at least to vent away from the van.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59035-Propane-Supply-Hose/dp/B0056ODEVW

Once the flow stops, simply shut off the valve, have the new one ready (apply any thread sealant needed, if the new one doesn't come with it pre-applied) and then just undo the old valve, and thread the new one in. If you don't leave the tank standing open for a long while, the amount of air introduced shouldn't be enough to require the tank be purged.[/quote]

I decided to completely drop the propane tank from the van, and then took it to a remote areas,.......and placed it about 50 feet away from my car,.........opened the valve,.....back to my car and left the area. Came back about 5 minutes later, and it was still venting,.....so, left the area again,.....another 5 minutes and it was done,....loaded it up and back home. Cleaned it, sanded it, painted it, installed the new service valve, and re-installed it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

^whoa, diamond plate. You're a real Texan!

From where did you buy the new valve? Mine is leaking as well.

kourt
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

kourt

www.eurocampers.com has them. They also have the one of a kind fill valve now. I'd buy one while you can, as they weren't available before, you could only buy a whole *edit* tank.

Last edited by TheOneTrueQuux on Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

Make sure there are no drains nearby when you vent.

Propane is MW 44 so it sinks into basements and sewers, and accumulates.

Explosive range is 2-10% so it’s bad in enclosed spaces.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
www.eurocampers.com has them. They also have the one of a kind fill valve now. I'd buy one while you can, as they weren't available before, you could only buy a whole valve.

Sweet.

kourt
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: My EVC Propane tank service valve leaks badly when I open it Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
kourt wrote:

kourt

www.eurocampers.com has them. They also have the one of a kind fill valve now. I'd buy one while you can, as they weren't available before, you could only buy a whole *edit* tank.

Yep, eurocampers.com is where I found mine. Also see they have tank level gauges and the Norcold burner tip now. and a replacement thermostat for the furnace (Mine works but has yellowed).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: