Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raphael BE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

Hi
Back again with question on putting the split bus in a "light" offroad configuration.

I found that if you want to put more angle on the cv joint the best way to go is the 100 mm 181.

BUT of course this is some extra €€€$$$ while I have and drive with a typ1 IRS conversion kit - being 90 mm Cv joint.

I've been looking the net but couldn't found anything

IS THERE ANY SPECIAL 90 MM CV JOINT ALLOWING MORE ANGLE THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE ?

Tx
Raf
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

none know of but you could race prep the 90's and run wide rear track & as long of an axle as you can to decrease angle
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

In college I built a baja SAE buggy and used the original Type 1 CVs out of my 200k mile '70 bug at up to 25* IIRC. The issue with Type 1 CVs is that the boot is mounted on a metal ring that limits you to something like 12*. With a different boot design you have much less limitation for your CV angle. I think we 3D printed our own boots though so I don't have an off the shelf solution for you. Maybe look for a rzeppa joint CV boot you can just hose clamp to the OD of the CV housing?
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
In college I built a baja SAE buggy and used the original Type 1 CVs out of my 200k mile '70 bug at up to 25* IIRC. The issue with Type 1 CVs is that the boot is mounted on a metal ring that limits you to something like 12*. With a different boot design you have much less limitation for your CV angle. I think we 3D printed our own boots though so I don't have an off the shelf solution for you. Maybe look for a rzeppa joint CV boot you can just hose clamp to the OD of the CV housing?

Yea Noo you can get 15 out of 90mm CVs safely 18 they start to click and 20 the balls try to fall out. I recently re-indexed my torsion bars and notched the spring plates a little more have 17 now at full drop its maxed out. That's with real VW axles and CV joints, the rubber boots are not real happy. I'm expecting them to tear by the end of this riding season, will have to find a better aftermarket boot but that's next years problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

Type 1 12*
Type 2 17*
Type 4 22*
930. 25*
These arent dead set numbers but pretty accurate from what ive messed with.
I have gotten 24 or 25 degrees ( don’t remember which ) out of race prepped type 4’s though.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm

Make sure you clock them too:
https://californiaperformance.com/technical-tips/cv-clocking/
raphael BE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

Tx you all
No real "cheap" solution - was worth asking

Rgds
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

It’s been so long since I did this but I have empi type 2 race cv’s that I get at least the 21 degrees that was advertised. I recently looked for these again and don’t find them for sale currently. But I have them and they may still be available

I recall them having a race type 1 that I think was supposed to get 19 degrees
raphael BE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

It’s been so long since I did this but I have empi type 2 race cv’s that I get at least the 21 degrees that was advertised. I recently looked for these again and don’t find them for sale currently. But I have them and they may still be available

Hi Dirt
Sorry not sure I understand what you mean Wink
Has empi ever made 90 mm CV that woudl allow a biger angle ?

Tx
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

https://www.racereadyproducts.com/cv-joints/empi-934-cv-joints/
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
https://www.racereadyproducts.com/cv-joints/empi-934-cv-joints/

Those are 934’ not 90mm …
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

My bad-you can just click on the CV joint tab on that web page then click on whatever 930 CV joint you want from the EMPI, to McKenzie's, to Pro-Am Racing. They have the specs. Or go to the EMPI website and look up the part number in the catalog for the description.

https://www.racereadyproducts.com/cv-joints/

Last edited by 74 Thing on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

raphael BE wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

Hi Dirt
Sorry not sure I understand what you mean Wink
Has empi ever made 90 mm CV that woudl allow a biger angle ?

Tx

I specifically recall that they did but i cant find them currently and they may not make it anymore. But they deffinetly had type 2 cv's with more articulation because i have them. looking at some of the race cv's being sold now dont say much about angle so i am not sure they are the same thing.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

[quote="dirtkeeper"][quote="raphael BE"]
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

Dirt, These may be what you’re looking for.
https://a.co/d/3spiZtF
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

[quote="Mikedrevguy"][quote="dirtkeeper"]
raphael BE wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

what kind of spam shit is that??
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

[quote="BFB"][quote="Mikedrevguy"]
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

An Amazon link for T2 CVs?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

[quote="Mikedrevguy"][quote="BFB"]
Mikedrevguy wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
raphael BE wrote:
Tx you all

Rgds

An Amazon link for T2 CVs?

Huh, wasnt when I clicked on the link.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 mm Typ1 Cv Joint allowing more angle ? Reply with quote

My apologies for whatever link was connected. Do not know what’s up, as I get to the race prep t2cv from Amazon.
69 Bwajaja

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: