Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super trunk hinge replace
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

Woking on a 73 Super Beetle. The trunk lid hinges are bent and inoperable. I would like to replace them with gas struts. It appears in order to do this the hinges must be removed to drive out the pins holding the spring strut. I cannot see how to do this. It appears impossible to reach the clips to remove much less reinstall. To complicate issues one of the clips is missing. I assume these can be replaced with C clips (?). Any guidance will be appreciated.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

My hinges are fine, but I’ve looked at how one might remove those clips that hold the hinges, and whoever put them in at the factory had some teeny, tiny hands.

Hopefully, someone will chime in because I’d also like to know how the removed these hinges—especially on the driver side.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

Aaarrg! I hate that...I changed a hinge on my super....but I can't for the life of me remember how...I'll look in daylight tomorrow, maybe something will come back. Aaarrg! I hate that...my super is at the paint shop, many miles away. And my daily just sprung a leak somewhere on the RF wheel. Sorry.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

And I have big hands.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

Removing the clips is not an "easy" job, but definitely possible.

I used a long flathead screwdriver and some large needle nose pliers to remove and install the clips. Remove the bottom clips FIRST. This allows you to fold the hinge down into the body and gives better access to the upper clips.

I did not replace my springs with struts.
I removed the hinges and straighted the guiderod inside the springs.

C-clips or E-clips may work, but the clips you should find are similar in design to the cooling door linkage clips on the fan shroud.

You can obtain replacement clips online, but you may find your missing one is still in the car. They like to fall into fender well, where the heater duct runs from the heater channel to the dash. You can access behind carpet closest to door.
You may also check under the cowl where the front fender meets the cowl inside the trunk, next to where the upper hinge pin is located.
jmedwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

CDM -- Take a look at this post. I am not sure if Flyboat is still selling this kit or not. The post also has some links to other kits sold by EMPI and CIP1 I believe. I have Flyboat's struts and they are still working like new.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have the same problem with my 74 super beetle, passenger side trunk hinge. It was basically impossible to open and close and I found a solution this morning.

I removed the hinge assembly with those little clips and realized that the mounting shaft had enlarged the holes such that it would not open and close properly I drilled out or use my Dremel tool to remove the permanently, mounted post on the body and took a bunch of measurements. I bought a 6 mm flange bolt 20 mm long that had a perfect non-threaded shoulder the exact size of that mounting hole on the body. Then I bought a 3/8 inch spring pin and drilled it out slightly to accept the 6 mm threaded bolt. Also, I slightly drilled out the holes on the trunk hinge to accept the 3/8 inch spring pin. Then I sliced off a 1/4 inch segment and that served as a perfect spacer followed that up with a 6 mm flange nut tightened down to almost complete and she works perfect. Plus it was a $2.60 repair!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

Nice work!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super trunk hinge replace Reply with quote

cdm wrote:
Woking on a 73 Super Beetle. The trunk lid hinges are bent and inoperable. I would like to replace them with gas struts. It appears in order to do this the hinges must be removed to drive out the pins holding the spring strut. I cannot see how to do this. It appears impossible to reach the clips to remove much less reinstall. To complicate issues one of the clips is missing. I assume these can be replaced with C clips (?). Any guidance will be appreciated.

90’ angled needle nose pliers are the trick to getting the factory clip back in place. Buy some extras cause you’ll drop at least one down into the Abis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: