Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much oil?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Too much oil? Reply with quote

I have read a couple old thread the other day where a few members highly suggested putting in just enough oil to fill between the min and max markings on the dipstick. Some say to go just above the min line. Is this still a valid thing? I just changed the oil yesterday and filled it up to the max line when I realized.....oops!

Craig
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil ? Reply with quote

I added a third notch to my dipstick once I decided where it likes to be (arrows are factory notches).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think there's any harm in filling to the top mark but it may tell you if that's too much (oily film on tailgate).
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

I NEVER go above halfway between the lower and upper notches. GW says to keep it just above the lower notch.
https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/break-in-guidelines-all-waterboxer-engines
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
I have read a couple old thread the other day where a few members highly suggested putting in just enough oil to fill between the min and max markings on the dipstick. Some say to go just above the min line. Is this still a valid thing? I just changed the oil yesterday and filled it up to the max line when I realized.....oops!

Is your engine stock?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

I run at or just above the minimum stick notch, too many breather tower clogs and oil leaks (eventually) when at top.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Your van is happy that you changed the oil.

For nearly 40 years I've heard the "never above the half way in the full range" for BMW and VW horizontally opposed engines so that's been my target. The engine won't mind seeing a bit more oil but the first half quart or so may disappear faster than you're accustom to seeing.

This assumes a well used engine, don't top it up when breaking in a new motor (too much oil splashing on the cylinder walls). At least that's what I read on mimeographed pages decades ago.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

My oil disappears rapidly when filled to upper mark then stabilizes at just a wee bit about the low mark. must be burning off as I dont have much dripping. wasser boxer motor.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Yes, the stock motor has 197,xxx miles on it. Not having any issues but when I was changing the oil yesterday, I started thinking about a couple threads I was reading about how far to fill with the oil. Think I might remove just a tad worth.

Craig
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
My oil disappears rapidly when filled to upper mark then stabilizes at just a wee bit about the low mark. must be burning off as I dont have much dripping. wasser boxer motor.

This is *exactly* our experience after a decade of constant testing.

And there’s no doubt that the higher the level, the greater the strain on and odds of clogging the crankcase vent.

Worth noting is lower oil asks for more attention be paid to driving style, in my opinion thicker oil, also imo synthetic oil, regardless I go easy on our rolling parts so they can keep being a condo.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

I have never had problems with running the oil at the upper mark on my WBXers.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

But certainly it drops faster the higher it is?

And for what it’s worth, all three engines we’ve run to date have all shown faster oil use at top stick, and all three were very prone to vent clogs if at full — and particularly if slightly above.

One thing I do wonder is if these motors actually *want* oil to burn off like it does at top stick. As in, designed to do that, for example if some “harder to oil” areas along the path aren’t as fully oiled when running the level at bottom stick.

Regardless of all who claimed me foolish for having a head temp gauge on our first (and also watercooled) van, honestly I really miss it — and it’d be interesting as heck to see if head temps are the same whether at top stick or bottom…

— Colin Chapman
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have never had problems with running the oil at the upper mark on my WBXers.

Same here until a few years ago when my motor started burning oil (never leaking). Still, I don't notice that it's related to fill level.

As long as it's not filled above the high mark or about to drop below the low mark I don't worry about it. I just make sure to check it every couple fill ups and add as needed to keep it somewhere between the marks. I usually shoot for halfway during oil changes.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

My 2.1 didn't have a disappearing oil issue. I could fill it up to the upper line, and that's where it stayed.
Once I had it built as a 2.3,, between the lines is where it's at. I just figure since it's stroked, the crank just aerates the oil something fierce if too full.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
But certainly it drops faster the higher it is?

And for what it’s worth, all three engines we’ve run to date have all shown faster oil use at top stick, and all three were very prone to vent clogs if at full — and particularly if slightly above.

One thing I do wonder is if these motors actually *want* oil to burn off like it does at top stick. As in, designed to do that, for example if some “harder to oil” areas along the path aren’t as fully oiled when running the level at bottom stick.

Regardless of all who claimed me foolish for having a head temp gauge on our first (and also watercooled) van, honestly I really miss it — and it’d be interesting as heck to see if head temps are the same whether at top stick or bottom…

Most modern engines that I have been around that burned oil either had a crankcase ventilation problem or something that was causing the oil to foam. Bad rings seem to be pretty rare these days as are loose valve guides.

I have certainly never bought into the thicker is better idea with motor oil, in general my engines have seen either 10w30 or straight 30wt back when they were new or 5w40 synthetic for the last 20ish years. For all I know thicker oils might foam worse in a WBXer engine.

With my 2.2 Subaru conversion, with the shortened oil pan oil use jumped up sharply once the oil had about 3000 miles on it, so I went to a stock oil pan, a sturdy skid plate under the pan, and air shocks to get the rear up a bit. Now with the stock capacity oil pan the oil level stays stable until the oil has 6000+ miles on it.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

All three of our Wassers have done this same thing, in terms of drop rate/mile on the dipstick. Last fall I was bragging here how we lost no oil on the stick over a really long stretch… after dropping from the Full notch to 0.2 in several hundred miles before, then sticking right on the bottom of the stick for literally 3,000 miles.

So naturally with that bliss we got a reasonably-concerning oil leak in October. That damned vent is absolutely a piece of oil leaks when clogged (and giant blue clouds of oil smoke when oil is overfilled), we’ve witnessed too much data on that one, the vent is clean, and now barely have a leak left.

So since we did that 3,000-mile stretch at 0-0.2, it makes sense others could run top stick and not lose. The wonder is exactly why, and I’m pointing at crankcase vents again.

There’s no foaming in our case(s). No ring or compression issues. I’ve never seen or smelled a hint of burning oil, ever, on any of the three motors (or any car I’ve owned for that matter). They were all pretty tight because I never trash motors.

If I had to guess where the top-stick oil level is going, if not bad rings or whatever, it’s out the vent hole as a fine “spray-paint” mist and/or straight back into the intake at same misty levels you can’t smell or see. One must ask why there’s even any sign of oil — ever — in that hose between vent and AFM, I’ve yet to see one bone-dry.

It seems far more common that flat-4s use oil, than not use oil — in general. It’s an ongoing joke in racing that VWs use oil (and it has been forever). To a race guy it’s as old and funny as the one about why the English drink warm beer…

Now our Jetta? Loses maybe a tenth of a stick between oil changes (and revs without any worry whatsoever). (Wink).

On oil weights, we’ll buy two different ones, and maybe we’re both right.

On your Subaru, do you mean the shorter pan frothed the oil and it burned off via coming back to the intake? (that sure looks like a leading question) Laughing

Thanks.

— Colin Chapman
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

On your Subaru, do you mean the shorter pan frothed the oil and it burned off via coming back to the intake? (that sure looks like a leading question) Laughing

Thanks.
I didn't try and determine exactly where it was going, but it would do 3000 miles with no loss of oil that I could determine and then begin to use large amounts of oil which would only stop when the oil was changed. I have seen similar occurrences on other engines in the past, one of which was a Type 1 VW. That was a long time ago, but it would start blowing oil out everywhere at about 1500 miles IIRC and would continue to do so until the oil was changed. The solution was to go to a different brand of oil and also to run an extra quart of oil in the crankcase. I also added a home made version of a crankcase ventilation mod that I had seen advertised. Still run my Type 1 that way today and am content with the results.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much oil? Reply with quote

Oh Brother WT, the timing of custom vent vs. oil loss is sure curious — and really consistent to my breather theories and comments.

The old oil being more prone to loss is interesting, too.

Factors of this topic have been under-explored for too long, and I sure appreciate the input.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: