Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E brake switch
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: E brake switch Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get an E brake switch? I got the one for the door like everyone says should fit, but it hits the shift rod when it's in the down position. It also doesn't match up with the screw hole to attach it, the mount is too short to reach. Yes, a new hole I know, but that doesn't fix the shift rod problem.

I have a door switch from the '74 super I'm gutting for some needs but it also sits too deep and it has four small blades though it is a plastic housing compared to an earlier bug with the "open" switch design.

I turned it around, drilled and tapped a new hole but being in place backward it hits the ratchet cam for the handle. I think a shorter Normally Open switch would do it no matter how I had to mount it.
Has anyone had this problem? I'm on a '74 bug pan which came without a switch, the switch from the '74 super was also missing so I don't know what was supposed to be there.

This is such a small detail it's pi**ing me off. I spent 1/2 a day on this almost and I have plenty of 'glass work left to do so this is about the last thing left on the pan. I wanted to lock this in and start the mount/trial/unmount etc. before I start asking WWJD about the 'glass work. (What Would Joe Do).
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake switch Reply with quote

Do you actually need this? I have been around buggies and bajas, bugs, for a long time, not sure I have ever seen one. Sounds like maybe it was on the later model bugs, but with the design of the bug ebrake, I dont see how you would ever have to worry about not knowing it was on.
Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: E brake switch Reply with quote

You know, now that you say that, I suppose I don't really need one. Yes, it was there, yes the handle tells me if it's on or not. I guess I was looking to add more lights to the dash to distract me. I'll leave the wiring and if I find one sometime down the road I'll add it.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: E brake switch Reply with quote

For CA light and brake inspection I needed one. I crudely added a courtesy light switch the grounded out when the handle wend up. I literally had a light clamped under the dash that came on when the handle went up. As soon as I passed inspection all that junk came out in a matter of a couple minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: