Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

As one who has painted their ghia and bus but not an experienced painter...Start with the small pieces, glovebox lid, gas lid, rims, to get the feel for your paint and equipment. Then go on to bigger, doors, decklid, hood. I would mask off the dash and do it before/after painting the body. Small paint jobs are simpler for the less experienced. The more you do the more comfortable and confident you will be. Know you will probably make mistakes but everything is fixable. On my bus i burned thru color sanding and had to sand and fully repaint 2 doors and 3 gates. After its all done, you will be happy. If you are just spraying epoxy....over epoxy i spray heavier coats of sanding primer then 100-400 grit before paint. Yes, i used detail guns for small tight areas.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
...get the feel for your paint and equipment. Then go on to bigger, doors, decklid, hood.
That is the plan. Tomorrow the Mrs. will be painting with the LVLP gun for the first time. She loves painting and finds it therapeutic. I am very fortunate to have her support. We plan to epoxy the hood, engine lid, and outer door skins. She already painted inside the doors by hand.

I have spent the last few years researching painting and bodywork at the SPI forums. I will be helping her by sharing what I have learned but can't do myself. For now, we are epoxy-ing the entire car. Beauty is not important since it will be skimmed over with filler or sanded and reapplied. We are treating the epoxy as "Paint School".

Any tip on how to spray in the odd and obstructed areas?

Thanks,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Sounds like you are following a reasonable plan. ...on difficult areas, I figured out creative ways to get everywhere while spraying primer. If i went to hard and had runs, I was sanding anyway. I have several detail guns, one gravity feed and the supply pivots to use in these areas. Adjusting the fan pattern to shoot not so wide but deeper... the more you use the guns and product you figure it out. Before i sprayed i spent many hours watching youtube vids on how to use, adjust the spray guns, then i started playing with water in them to see how fan adjustment worked, how volume worked, pressure adjustments, it all helped.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
vw.dodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Emil, great to see you are still in the game, I have thought about you often. I have the EXACT twin to your car in the garage now, and since it is a one owner car with an older respray I have been (very slowly) doing a total preservation type restoration but will not be doing any paintwork. It's a wonderful "survivor" and with my vast stash of parts I'm able to give it all the good stuff it deserves. I came across it not long after you bought yours and I am using it as a training grounds before I tackle the Pampas yellow '70 which you may remember.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

vw.dodge wrote:
Emil, great to see you are still in the game, I have thought about you often.
Thanks Dave, I'm glad you hear you are keeping your collection healthy. It's been 8 1/2 Yrs since I bought it, and I'm glad to be on a roll again. My wife epoxied the doors, hood, and engine lid this weekend. She's a natural, her first time with a spray gun and the parts look excellent. Once they dry, I'ill take pictures and update the thread.

Maybe when I finish this one, I'll buy another one from you Smile

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: