Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Project begins
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

locked engine - forensics
Just to review, bought this 71 ghia with a locked up engine for not too much money. Will be my first time looking into something like this so I'm curious about what I will find after I pull it out and take it apart. I have a long block to replace it with.

Will post some pictures before pulling it:
- very little, very dark oil remains on dipstick
- Battery grounded to alternator stand for some reason.
- Alternator plate missing a screw.
- Engine compartment seal was shot and not sealing.
- some doghouse parts missing, like the chute that passes thru the front tin.

To review the PO says there was a sudden violent jerk/event(?) while cruising at speed and he coasted to a stop. A mechanic told him he thought he threw a rod. Engine will not rotate with wrench. So, a learning experience for me to what I'll find. I guess pulling the heads off will tell the story? As I said I have a good long block 1600 to replace it with, but curious to take this apart and learn some things.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Pulled the locked up engine. Case is punctured on top. Looking at the heads, one of the rocker arms is flipped up, off it's push rod. No flaps control linkage on the fan shroud and no thermostat. I already have a long block replacement but just wondering if these heads might be salvageable.

The quart or so of oil remaining in the engine was the blackest I've ever seen. I guess the PO didn't know you need to change the oil occasionally.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Is it normal for '71 Gia to have the battery grounded on the alternator stand?

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

Yes, however it would've been a braided strap attached to the driver side of the alternator stand.

A 66 from the gallery

A 72 or 73 from the gallery

My old 67

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
mg50 wrote:

Yes, however it would've been a braided strap attached to the driver side of the alternator stand.

I see. I think I had seen a picture of a grounding to the battery hold-down clamp.

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

I want to remove the deck lid to work on it separately and to restore the engine compartment. I'm thinking I just remove the 4 bolts that hold the works to the lid? Anything under tension that's going to knock me unconscious?

Removing the springs and the hinge looks pretty involved so maybe I can leave them attached and work around them to replace the fiberboard.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
I want to remove the deck lid to work on it separately and to restore the engine compartment. I'm thinking I just remove the 4 bolts that hold the works to the lid? Anything under tension that's going to knock me unconscious?

Removing the springs and the hinge looks pretty involved so maybe I can leave them attached and work around them to replace the fiberboard.

Yeah, if you remove the four bolts and leave the springs in place, it's easily a one-person job to remove. I did it myself when I took the 66 apart that I'm building now, and I'm a 6'1" 155lb bean pole. If I can do it, anyone can Laughing

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Exactly as EV describes.

The only thing I'll add, is to keep in mind there is some room for adjusting the lid position on the hinges when you go to re-install.

So, if the current lid alignment looks good to you, recommend taking some pics or measurements of the bolt positions on each hinge, and the gap between the lid and the body/seal, so it'll make it easier to replicate when you re-install. Not a critical step, as you can adjust as needed, but may aid in re-installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
mg50 wrote:

Yeah, if you remove the four bolts and leave the springs in place, it's easily a one-person job to remove. I did it myself when I took the 66 apart that I'm building now, and I'm a 6'1" 155lb bean pole. If I can do it, anyone can Laughing

Thanks that's good to hear. I'm also 6'1" but I've got 10 lbs on you so should be able to do it.

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

I have a couple of pulleys to choose from and notice that one (#1) seems heavier built and has a balancing weight. Did they come this way or is it common to balance them yourself?

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

I think most of you folks in the Ghia forum are advanced beyond my education level but I'll keep posting progress for the less experienced like me.

Engine:
- pulled heads from the donor long block to install the 2 tin parts under the jugs that were left off. Found and replaced stripped head studs.

- Checked flywheel endplay: it's .003

- Clutch plate and disk from my crap engine looked very good so installed those on the donor. Throwout bearing looks good to me.

- installed fuel pump and distributor I got from Bill at Sparkswerks. He walked me through a mistake i made in measuring for the 13mm ht. of the fuel pump rod. I had not installed the distributor first, so it's drive shaft was riding up as I was trying to measure the fuel pump rod, and I was getting a dumb measurement. Held the dist. shaft down with a finger and measured again.

- Replaced the damaged backing plate on the alternator. Had to remove that big fan bolt; research on the samba helped me get it off. Put the pulley back on the alternator with the wooddriff key in place, stand it up, gripped on the gen. shaft flat sections in a vice, then twist off the bolt on the other end with socket and handle. Replaced at 44 lb torque.

- Installed the new (rebuilt/Sparkswerks) distributor. But since my drive shaft was earlier bouncing up as I rotated the engine with no dist. in place, not sure if that means it might be 180 degrees out of where it needs to be.

- Cleaned the rocker arms assemblies in an ultransonic cleaner. Pretty dang sweet. Pix attached. I had used a cheapo version from HF on an earlier job. It did ok but punked out after a few uses so I bought another brand. Wife used it for jewelry and craft stuff, so that's my excuse for having it.

cheers

-

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Engine rebuild completed

DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Whoah, what a lovely looking engine! Good work.
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

DaveB9 wrote:
Whoah, what a lovely looking engine! Good work.

Thank you sir. My dog approves as well!

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

First crank on my second engine rebuild a big relief.

Long block came from a Porsche replica 550. Had to pull the heads and straighten some things out. It's dressed out with parts salvaged from the 71 Ghia that threw a rod through the case. The original carburetor was found in a junk box that came with the car and restored by VolkszBitz. SVDA Distributor and Pierburg fuel pump from Sparxwerks.

Link

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Awesome! Sounds great.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: