Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal issue 63 type I
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
negative2.sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

1963 type I 6volt

currently working on front blinkers

wondering if anyone has come across anything similar. blinkers stopped working at some point can't remember when. bulbs all checked out ok but bought some new 6v bulbs from WW anyways. flasher relay had been replaced years ago, but put a new flasher relay in from WW. sanded down bare to metal under the front fender where the blinker housing bolts come through as I believe this how the unit grounds? has clean metal fender to washer & nut contact.

what's weird is; I have a little 6v test lamp and if I hook up the clip leads to the blinker housing (one to the center post that contacts the bottom of the bulb and the other ground to the blinker housing body). when I turn the ignition on and switch the blinker on - the test lamp blinks like it should and you can here the blinker make the normal tic toc sound. but when I put any of the bulbs in wether they are new ones or the existing ones (all 6v) it wont flash and the sound is a very fast clicking/buzzing as opposed to the normal tic toe sound with the test lamp?

I would assume that power to the blinker assembly and the grounding of the blinker assembly is good since the test lamp blinks?
I would assume the switch at the steering wheel is good since the test lamp blinks?

anyone run across anything similar or have any ideas?

Appreciate any information you might be able to provide. Thanks Brian
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Test lamp does not pull anywhere the amperage that the signal bulbs do. Run ground wire temporally and see if that helps.

Not hard or a bad idea to run proper permanent ground wires from the signal bulbs holders onto the body inside the trunk. Rear gas tank hold down bolts should do well for ground wires. In later 1967 model VW started to add in grounding wires at the factory.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

If you're not a purist, you might want to consider switching to LEDs.

I ordered these for my '63: (red for rear, amber for front)

https://www.ledlight.com/1129-ba15s-base-led-6-to-24-volt-2-6-watt.aspx

and this flasher:

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-cf13-6-volt-dc-led-compatible-3-terminal-150-watt.aspx

This set up is plug and play, works perfectly and is much brighter than the original incandescent bulbs. According to Tech Support at LEDLight.com, these LEDs only need 4.3 volts to reach full illumination ... which helps if your car is struggling with voltage drops.

I tried both white and red LEDs in the rear and recommend the red. The white washes out the lens color and it actually looks almost orange.

Cleaning all terminals, connectors and grounds should be done to get the best results.

I also switched to LEDs for the dash illumination lights and warning/indicator lights. They too can be ordered in red, green, blue and white so you don't have to bother with replacing faded gels to restore the correct colors. If you decide to go this route, here's what you'll need to order:

https://www.ledlight.com/t7-led-light.aspx

You would also need to replace the bulb holders for the GEN, OIL and turn signal indicators with these:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113957397

The polarity is reversed in these three bulb holders, so using these from WW allows you to connect the wires with the correct polarity for the LEDs.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
negative2.sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Test lamp does not pull anywhere the amperage that the signal bulbs do. Run ground wire temporally and see if that helps.

Not hard or a bad idea to run proper permanent ground wires from the signal bulbs holders onto the body inside the trunk. Rear gas tank hold down bolts should do well for ground wires. In later 1967 model VW started to add in grounding wires at the factory.

Thanks so much, I will try running some ground wires to test. Where would you suggest connecting the ground wire at the blinker assembly? Would connecting it to the bolt shaft that hangs down below the fender be a good spot? Thanks
negative2.sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
If you're not a purist, you might want to consider switching to LEDs.

I ordered these for my '63: (red for rear, amber for front)

https://www.ledlight.com/1129-ba15s-base-led-6-to-24-volt-2-6-watt.aspx

and this flasher:

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-cf13-6-volt-dc-led-compatible-3-terminal-150-watt.aspx

This set up is plug and play, works perfectly and is much brighter than the original incandescent bulbs. According to Tech Support at LEDLight.com, these LEDs only need 4.3 volts to reach full illumination ... which helps if your car is struggling with voltage drops.

I tried both white and red LEDs in the rear and recommend the red. The white washes out the lens color and it actually looks almost orange.

Cleaning all terminals, connectors and grounds should be done to get the best results.

I also switched to LEDs for the dash illumination lights and warning/indicator lights. They too can be ordered in red, green, blue and white so you don't have to bother with replacing faded gels to restore the correct colors. If you decide to go this route, here's what you'll need to order:

https://www.ledlight.com/t7-led-light.aspx

You would also need to replace the bulb holders for the GEN, OIL and turn signal indicators with these:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113957397

The polarity is reversed in these three bulb holders, so using these from WW allows you to connect the wires with the correct polarity for the LEDs.

Thanks for all the links. I was wondering if there were LED bulbs available that wouldn't require the same voltage as the stock lamps. It seems when I test the assembly im only getting about 3.8 - 4volts at the bulb.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

negative2.sb wrote:

Thanks so much, I will try running some ground wires to test. Where would you suggest connecting the ground wire at the blinker assembly? Would connecting it to the bolt shaft that hangs down below the fender be a good spot? Thanks

Those will do fine if you hand wirebrush them a little to make sure they are clean. Also do get dielectric grease to apply at each connection to keep water and oxygen from getting into those and causing corrosion all too soon.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

negative2.sb wrote:

Thanks for all the links. I was wondering if there were LED bulbs available that wouldn't require the same voltage as the stock lamps. It seems when I test the assembly im only getting about 3.8 - 4volts at the bulb.

Still will need proper voltage. Amperage will be less for less wattage.

If you have low voltage you need to clean, grease and tighten back down not only each positive connection, but also important is all the grounds. As in do you still have BOTH ground cables??

BIG PROBLEM with all pre-1968 VWs is the fuse box and the earlier bell shaped headlight switches.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

Check out the headlight switch rebuild in the type2.com library.
negative2.sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
negative2.sb wrote:

Those will do fine if you hand wirebrush them a little to make sure they are clean. Also do get dielectric grease to apply at each connection to keep water and oxygen from getting into those and causing corrosion all too soon.

Thanks, Yes I do make sure the posts are clean and I always use a little dielectric grease when I make connections.
negative2.sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
negative2.sb wrote:

Still will need proper voltage. Amperage will be less for less wattage.

If you have low voltage you need to clean, grease and tighten back down not only each positive connection, but also important is all the grounds. As in do you still have BOTH ground cables??

BIG PROBLEM with all pre-1968 VWs is the fuse box and the earlier bell shaped headlight switches.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

Check out the headlight switch rebuild in the type2.com library.

I do have both ground cables - Battery & Transmission nose cone. Both are clean and good contact. Those are the only two im aware of unless there is any somewhere else?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Correcting bad grounds and checking for loose wires is excellent, but keep in mind that if the turn signals failed on both sides at the same time, it is less likely to be due to bad grounds at the bulbs. Assuming battery, battery ground, and flasher are OK, and the fuse feeding the flasher is clean and tight, then what remains is the contacts inside the turn signal switch. Simply jumper the switch to test if it is at fault. It has happened to me.....it is possible to go crazy chasing suspect grounds, when the real cause is 60 years of oxidation, old grease, and dirty worn contacts inside the mechanically wearing part of the system.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

Another alternative would be to replace the original fuse panel with a new one that accepts ATO blade fuses:

https://www.torquerestoparts.com/product-page/61-66-beetle-ghia-blade-fuse-box

I believe there is more contact surface area on the blade fuses which should help. I got this one for my '63 and it is a perfect fit. It is configured exactly like the original so no modifications or piggybacks needed to connect the stock wires.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You don't mention how new you are to 6v VWs. If you are still getting acquainted with them, you might want to give this discussion a look:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=786218&highlight=

It has some great tips and advice from the 6v community that I have found very helpful.

The voltage drop you are seeing (3.8 - 4 volts at the bulb) could be cumulative, in which case you'd need to work backward from the light, cleaning/tightening connections as necessary. Have you checked voltage across the battery? Cleaned the battery connections? Cleaned the battery ground strap to frame and transmission ground strap to frame connections? Cleaned and tightened the connections on the generator and voltage regulator? Tedious work for sure, but tasks that almost always help reduce voltage loss.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal issue 63 type I Reply with quote

negative2.sb wrote:

I do have both ground cables - Battery & Transmission nose cone. Both are clean and good contact. Those are the only two im aware of unless there is any somewhere else?

Not just the straps, any ground. Found that one needs to cleaning/greasing between the starter body and the transaxle for a good ground. Also between the starter and starter solenoid makes a big difference.

Best to mentally trace each and every positive & ground to either clean it all up or improve. EG the taillight bulb holders must ground to the taillight housing, which must ground to the fender, which in turn each fender must ground to the body. In other words too many connections. So a ground wire from bulb holder to body inside the engine compartment works better by reducing electrical those connections and VW went that way later for same reason.

Got to have that full loop in each electrical system. From the neg post of the battery and back to the positive. Seen 6 volt VWs with 2 volts of drop and been able to get them to about 1/10 of a volt drop even in the longer bus wiring harnesses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: