Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant leak in coolant tower line connection (Solved)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
letsgetstoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Coolant leak in coolant tower line connection (Solved) Reply with quote

I've got a slow but steady leak in a line (judging from the Bentley diagrams) that runs to the heat exchanger (it's the line furthest to the right in the engine compartment). It's at the lower connection pictured. Since a coolant flush about 3500 miles ago, it managed to empty the coolant reservoir before I realized and refilled back to the max line. How might I tackle this leak?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by letsgetstoked on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in heat exchanger line connection Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're refering to when you say "heat exchanger". My old air cooled Bug had a heat exchanger (on the exhuast) but no water cooled vans do.

If my memory serves me right (and it usually doesn't) that hose is attached to the bleeder ring at the top of your engine bay and to the coolant tower at the bottom on the opposite side of the firewall. If the hose is leaking, just replace it with a new one. You won't lose much coolant and it the system should self-bleed after a couple drives.

BUT, it could also be that the nipple on coolant tower that the hose attaches to is broke - especially if it's the original plastic version. If that's the case you need to replace that and the job is a bit more messy.

Regardless, you're in for a future of coolant leaks if your hoses, coolant tower, t-stat housing are original. Might be timne to start thinking about replacing that stuff.
letsgetstoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in heat exchanger line connection Reply with quote

Sorry, yep, misread the diagram. This is the top hose connecting to the "distribution unit", aka, the plastic coolant tower junction. It looks like it might be leaking on both sides, though it's hard to tell for sure. It's possibly original. The coolant lines have been replaced and are stainless steel. They look to be in good condition.

Clearly the hose connecting to it is ancient. Not sure why it wasn't replaced when others in the system were. That's just plain 8mm coolant hose, yes? Presumably I could start by replacing it to see if that solved the issue.

If I still have a leak and need to replace the junction, do people feel like the stainless steel coolant tower is worth the price of upgrade? A plastic one from GoWesty is ~$30, whereas the stainless steel replacement at VanCafe is $145 including the silicone cooling hose kit.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in heat exchanger line connection Reply with quote

The plastic towers have a tendency to grenade.
Replacing the tower is fairly challenging.
Stainless means future you/future owners, will NEVER need to think about replacing it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in heat exchanger line connection Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned tightening the hose clamps. Have you tried that? If the hose is leaking replace it before it ruptures.

The low cost of plastic parts is attractive but having had plastic parts fail on the road I've replaced most (all?) with $$$tainless or aluminum parts. Granted, the plastic parts were decades old and modern cars have a lot of durable plastic parts but plastic replacement parts seem to fail. Having confidence in these cooling systems is a big plus.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
letsgetstoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in coolant tower line connection (Solved) Reply with quote

To close the loop, it was the hose. It basically disintegrated as I removed it. Seems to have solved the leak issue. Baffling why the previous owner replaced most of the other coolant lines but not this one. **Shrugs**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant leak in coolant tower line connection (Solved) Reply with quote

letsgetstoked wrote:
To close the loop, it was the hose. It basically disintegrated as I removed it. Seems to have solved the leak issue. Baffling why the previous owner replaced most of the other coolant lines but not this one. **Shrugs**

That's life, welcome to vehicle maintenance 101. When I bought my 83 1/2 POS, the fuel line from the tank to the filter was literally nearly two feet longer than it needed to be and made of some product that literally was dissolving and turning into a big wad of goo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: