Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

I've got a 2001 996/911 Tiptronic transmission. I'm planning to mate it to an Audi V8 for a rear engine project.

What year of 4.2 and ECU should I look for that would have the greatest chance of controlling the engine and transmission?

A company called Renn27 is making kits for installing 2.7 V6tt's in 996s. They claim that there is 100% compatibility between the electronics of the engine and chassis without reprogramming. However, they haven't yet done anything with an auto. I sent them an email and am waiting to hear back.

I suppose I should look for an engine and ECU from approximately the same era as the transmission, so approximately 1997-2003? My transmission is the 996.1 ZF unit, not the 996.2 MB unit.

Also, if any ideas on what torque converter/flexplate combo would be best I need to figure that out also.
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

I've noticed no one is exactly jumping over one another to weigh in on this. There's good reasoning for that. I don't want to take the piss out of your planned project, but what you're getting ready to embark on is way more complicated than most people think it is and way more complicated to handle than a manual transmission.

German automatics can be EXTREMELY finicky even when moving from one vehicle of the same make to another. I used to work in an MB dealer. We once had an early build W211 that had the wrong line of code programmed into the instrument cluster - you read that right, the speedometer cluster was programmed incorrectly - and the transmission did not shift correctly; it would absolutely SLAM into one gear from another. Completely undriveable. I won't say how many parts were tried in an attempt to fix it, nor how long it took to get to the bottom of it and how many people were involved in getting to the solution. Because of the speedometer programming. It was difficult to say the least.

If your tiptronic's ECU has a CAN bus to communicate to a vehicle that is no longer there, you might want to do some serious research to find out if someone makes an aftermarket ECU to control it (and possibly the engine too) without the need for CAN connection (meaning standalone) and a damn good start on initial programming, or you might be in for a world of frustration unlike anything you've ever encountered in the automotive space.

I bid you good luck.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

haha thanks for taking one for the team on this. I appreciate the discouragement lol. I do realize this type of response is typical and perhaps even appropriate. Why not try to save some poor soul from getting in over his head?

I've got a line on a 2001 4.2 from an A8. The plan is to get the ECU, tcu and bcm from the Audi. The Audi boxes will think they are controlling a 2001 4.2 bolted to a 5HP24 when in fact they will be controlling a 2001 4.2 bolted to a 2001 5HP19. What could possibly go wrong haha?

Both transmissions are awd. One issue I foresee is that the Porsche transmission has no differential for the front viscous drive and has no electronic control of the awd as I understand it. Will the Audi TCU be trying to control a differential/awd components that do not exist? If so, I suspect that TCU will become frustrated and object to it's intended task.
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

I do admire an ambitious project. I say this with zero sarcasm - I truly do hope you prove me wrong. Let us all know how it goes!

Popcorn
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Rob Combs wrote:
I do admire an ambitious project. I say this with zero sarcasm - I truly do hope you prove me wrong. Let us all know how it goes!

Popcorn

keep your expectations low. I give myself a 15% chance of success
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

I have nothing to add to your thread.

What is the intent of this build? Meaning, what is it powering?

All interesting stuff you're doing here. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Knowing Audi and their vast selection of horrible engines and electronics, and trying to blend it with a porsche trans with thier vast selection of premature failers and horrible electronics, it sounds like this is a desperate cry for help.

Posting on the aircooled samba where we enjoy simple engines with no electronics whatsoever, things that break that are totally predictable and easy to diagnose, it seems your making a last call to normal people that might be able to save you from ending it all.

Dont do it! Nothing is worth what your about to torture yourself with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

The response about the type of transmission the audi ECU is programmed to recognize and the porsche transmission that will be paired to it just fully sunk in.

Setting aside for a second JPaull's (in my opinion, correct) comment about audi's reputation for less-than reliable engines and both manufacturer's electronics, and the correctness of his post in general, if you cannot verify 100% that the gear ratios throughout the planetary set and final drive are not identical to what the audi ECU expects to see, you will be in for incurable "implausible gear ratio" trouble codes that will throw the transmission into fail safe (in other words, locked into whatever gear the fail-safe is set to lock into) after your hard work and dedication to your project is all but complete.

Your estimated 15% chance of success might be a little optimistic. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong on this.

Now on with the show. Best of luck!
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

914turboford wrote:

I've got a line on a 2001 4.2 from an A8. The plan is to get the ECU, tcu and bcm from the Audi. The Audi boxes will think they are controlling a 2001 4.2 bolted to a 5HP24 when in fact they will be controlling a 2001 4.2 bolted to a 2001 5HP19. What could possibly go wrong haha?

Since the Audi AWD system back in the C5/D1/2 era was basically entirely mechanical the ECU doesn't control any of it. That is all under the control of the ABS system- but none of it is very modern. At most you have a brake attempting to grab when a wheel spins to use the open diff and spin the opposite wheel. Personally I think you want to use an ME 7.1.x ecu, probably from a c5 4.2, or an S6 if you find one. The engine will only fault for any drive systems based on the message from that system- like the TCU or ABS has to TELL the ecu to have a problem.
I think your hassle will be the ABS system talking to the ECU? Making it manual trans would simplify a whole bunch of stuff...obviously..

Is this thing going to be AWD- you're using the 996 trans right? because they made FWD 5hp19 tran's , via many VW Passats and A4's, and a few A6's. NO way to flip the ring gear though. I've seen the bellhousing cut off a 5hp19 trans, flipped up/down, welded back on and the trans installed upside down to get a proper mid/ rear engine drive.
Do that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Absolute best-case scenario is if you source an Audi V8 from the same era and the CanBus data feed between the ECM and TCM is in the same format.

Worst-case scenario, you use a stand-alone transmission controller, such as MegaShift...this will require you jump on the learning curve to figure out how to wire and program the transmission. Another possible option, PCS has a few vendors who offer that controller with custom tunes, so maybe there's one out there already for ZF 5hpxx variants (I have a PCS controller for the ZF 4hp22 from a 993). Better-case scenario: Standalone TCM + ECM that communicate via CanBus would still get the job done (you'd have to confirm the two respective controllers will talk to each other).

I don't think electrickery works that way
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Knowing Audi and their vast selection of horrible engines and electronics, and trying to blend it with a porsche trans with thier vast selection of premature failers and horrible electronics, it sounds like this is a desperate cry for help.

Posting on the aircooled samba where we enjoy simple engines with no electronics whatsoever, things that break that are totally predictable and easy to diagnose, it seems your making a last call to normal people that might be able to save you from ending it all.

Dont do it! Nothing is worth what your about to torture yourself with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hahaha you might not realize how close you are to the truth!
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have nothing to add to your thread.

What is the intent of this build? Meaning, what is it powering?

All interesting stuff you're doing here. Very Happy

The plan is to put it in the back of a new beetle. A weak attempt at righting the historical wrong of the beetle went fwd in 98. And if you think this is really dumb, I've executed worse ideas.

On the plus side, I can drive it around with the front engine while working on the rear engine to save on towing costs!

Last edited by 914turboford on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Rob Combs wrote:
The response about the type of transmission the audi ECU is programmed to recognize and the porsche transmission that will be paired to it just fully sunk in.

Setting aside for a second JPaull's (in my opinion, correct) comment about audi's reputation for less-than reliable engines and both manufacturer's electronics, and the correctness of his post in general, if you cannot verify 100% that the gear ratios throughout the planetary set and final drive are not identical to what the audi ECU expects to see, you will be in for incurable "implausible gear ratio" trouble codes that will throw the transmission into fail safe (in other words, locked into whatever gear the fail-safe is set to lock into) after your hard work and dedication to your project is all but complete.

Your estimated 15% chance of success might be a little optimistic. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong on this.

Now on with the show. Best of luck!

the gear ratios are indeed different 5hp19 vs 5hp24. This might be the killer of the whole thing. I wonder if those ratios can be adjusted with a tune of some kind?

Meanwhile, I made a deposit on an engine and other parts from a 2001 A8 yesterday. Unfortunately the engine appears to be seized so I'll probably need a new long block. $450 for engine with all accessories, radiator, shifter, all control boxes, partial wiring harness, rear suspension with subframe...
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
914turboford wrote:

Since the Audi AWD system back in the C5/D1/2 era was basically entirely mechanical the ECU doesn't control any of it. That is all under the control of the ABS system- but none of it is very modern. At most you have a brake attempting to grab when a wheel spins to use the open diff and spin the opposite wheel. Personally I think you want to use an ME 7.1.x ecu, probably from a c5 4.2, or an S6 if you find one. The engine will only fault for any drive systems based on the message from that system- like the TCU or ABS has to TELL the ecu to have a problem.
I think your hassle will be the ABS system talking to the ECU? Making it manual trans would simplify a whole bunch of stuff...obviously..

Is this thing going to be AWD- you're using the 996 trans right? because they made FWD 5hp19 tran's , via many VW Passats and A4's, and a few A6's. NO way to flip the ring gear though. I've seen the bellhousing cut off a 5hp19 trans, flipped up/down, welded back on and the trans installed upside down to get a proper mid/ rear engine drive.
Do that!

This is great info. There are a couple of 4.2 C5 A6's in my area. I didn't want that engine because it's 290hp vs the A8 being rated at 310. But maybe I should reconsider.

I've heard that I need to keep the TCU and ECU together from the same chassis. But do you think I could use a 996 TCU with the 4.2 ECU?

I'm still learning the lingo so can you explain what ECU's this refers to: ME 7.1.x ecu.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Another possible option, PCS has a few vendors who offer that controller with custom tunes, so maybe there's one out there already for ZF 5hpxx variants (I have a PCS controller for the ZF 4hp22 from a 993).

https://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/pcs/
I knew Russell was tuning the PCS controller for the Nag1/722.6. Looks like he also sells the PCS transmission controller tuned for the 5hpxx.

Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

[quote="914turboford"]
Bub wrote:
914turboford wrote:

I've heard that I need to keep the TCU and ECU together from the same chassis. But do you think I could use a 996 TCU with the 4.2 ECU?

I'm still learning the lingo so can you explain what ECU's this refers to: ME 7.1.x ecu.

The ME 7.1.xx. is the A6/ A8 ecu from the roughly 2000-2005'ish models. And the architecture is all very similar, and interchangeable in most ways.
I've gone through a handful of V8's from those years and done some tuning and learning.
The best resource I can give you is the Nefmoto forums:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=17360.0title=

If anyone anywhere knows the answer they will be there. But as far as the engines go- those N/A V8 timing belt engines were all so similar (a6, S6, A8, S8 etc..) that Audi's HP figures seem suspicious. Honestly there's no solid answer on where the S8 gets 20hp (Audi says S6 is 340hp, and S8 was 360 hp) over the S6. They have very slightly different cam specs, and slight differences in downpipes and tuning, and some superficial hardware etc..
But none of it adds up to 20hp. And the difference in the A6 and S8 is supposed to be 60hp? I mean, it's not impossible, but that's a big gain on an N/A engine by just swapping downpipes and cams/ software.
keep in mind that there are EARLY euro 4.2 cars, I think even a tune that was drive by cable.

I couldn't tell you any solid specifics about what engine management will get along with the 996 ABS. I know people have run Audi V8's in all manner of stuff- I've seen a couple Vanagon swaps actually- and they use the Audi ECU. So the engine management is probably not hard at all. The first thing to tackle is Immo defeat, but that's simple.
I imagine if you got the engine installed and just to run, nothing will keep it from driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
Another possible option, PCS has a few vendors who offer that controller with custom tunes, so maybe there's one out there already for ZF 5hpxx variants (I have a PCS controller for the ZF 4hp22 from a 993).

I knew Russell was tuning the PCS controller for the Nag1/722.6. Looks like he also sells the PCS transmission controller tuned for the 5hpxx.

Thanks this appears to be useful information. What is PCS?

What are you using your controller for? What vehicle or engine/transmission combo. Does yours control the engine and transmission or just transmission?
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

[quote="Bub"]
914turboford wrote:
Bub wrote:
914turboford wrote:

The ME 7.1.xx. is the A6/ A8 ecu from the roughly 2000-2005'ish models. And the architecture is all very similar, and interchangeable in most ways.
I've gone through a handful of V8's from those years and done some tuning and learning.

Thank you so much. I joined that forum. Looks very useful. I really appreciate it. BTW I love your 356 coupe.

If anyone anywhere knows the answer they will be there. But as far as the engines go- those N/A V8 timing belt engines were all so similar (a6, S6, A8, S8 etc..) that Audi's HP figures seem suspicious. Honestly there's no solid answer on where the S8 gets 20hp (Audi says S6 is 340hp, and S8 was 360 hp) over the S6. They have very slightly different cam specs, and slight differences in downpipes and tuning, and some superficial hardware etc..
But none of it adds up to 20hp. And the difference in the A6 and S8 is supposed to be 60hp? I mean, it's not impossible, but that's a big gain on an N/A engine by just swapping downpipes and cams/ software.
keep in mind that there are EARLY euro 4.2 cars, I think even a tune that was drive by cable.

I couldn't tell you any solid specifics about what engine management will get along with the 996 ABS. I know people have run Audi V8's in all manner of stuff- I've seen a couple Vanagon swaps actually- and they use the Audi ECU. So the engine management is probably not hard at all. The first thing to tackle is Immo defeat, but that's simple.
I imagine if you got the engine installed and just to run, nothing will keep it from driving.
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

[quote="Bub"]
914turboford wrote:
Bub wrote:
914turboford wrote:

Would you go so far as to say I could run pretty much any timing belt 4.2 with any other timing belt 4.2 ECU? Do they have the same sensors?

Is FSI synonymous with chain only timing? In other words, are alll non FSI engines belt timing?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best Audi 4.2 and ECU to work with Porsche Tiptronic? Reply with quote

914turboford wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:

Thanks this appears to be useful information. What is PCS?

What are you using your controller for? What vehicle or engine/transmission combo. Does yours control the engine and transmission or just transmission?

PCS is the manufacturer - Powertrain Control Solutions. My TCM is configured for a 4HP22 tiptronic out of a 993. My ECM is an Electromotive Tec-GT, which uses the same CanBus datastream as PCS...so the PCS TCM *should* receive the necessary engine load/rpm information from the Tec-GT. (the build is back out of storage, so maybe I'll confirm this in a few months)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: