Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I've been watching your thread as I had a similar leak out my weber IDF 40s about two years ago. I took apart/rebuilt the carbs, checked/re-checked fuel pressure, added hear spacers before the intake, replaced fouled spark plugs and changed fuel-soaked oil...all more times than i'd like to tell you about. I tried switching to the Viprons, set the floats again and again, and yet no luck. This went on for about a year.

The one thing i never changed were the floats as they seemed fine, no visible cracks, etc. Well, I haven't had a problem since changing them!

Change the floats if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I have also been chatting with a Redline guy. Maybe retired? He suggested floats too. Not to change, but check. I have a message in to redline as well.

Thinking new float valves, recommended by him. Ha. If and when he calls back. And i will throw in some floats too.

I did changed the oil last weekend after the garage fuel flood!!! Good thing is now, i watch the overflow. And i am able to roll up some paper towels and soak the fuel up in the barrels. The flaps close tightly enough to pool up the fuel.

I want to know, to see it. Gonna try to bench test the top plate, float and valve. We shall see.

Thanks for the help.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

VWSunny72 wrote:
I've been watching your thread as I had a similar leak out my weber IDF 40s about two years ago. I took apart/rebuilt the carbs, checked/re-checked fuel pressure, added hear spacers before the intake, replaced fouled spark plugs and changed fuel-soaked oil...all more times than i'd like to tell you about. I tried switching to the Viprons, set the floats again and again, and yet no luck. This went on for about a year.

The one thing i never changed were the floats as they seemed fine, no visible cracks, etc. Well, I haven't had a problem since changing them!

Change the floats if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

Same issue here, dual 40 IDFS. I replaced with viton tip needles and the problem went away but came back a year later.

I replaced the floats at that point with an offbrand and the issue was worse.

I ordered the genuine floats from Pierce and new brass needles and the issue is fixed again for now.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Weber-clad buses that get stored for months at a time are the only buses that I recommend a fuel treatment for. It's not the ethanol that hurts needle valves, but the corrosion caused by the water that ethanol absorbs over time.

Lucas stabilizer is my favorite, but fresh and FULL tanks are great for storage. Less moisture exposure means less corrosion in the parts.

If you want to split hairs, keep the tank full at the end of trips before the car sits even a week can be helpful, especially if you're in a humid climate or near the beach.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I like my ignition switched fuel solenoid. It lets the needle valve get worn so badly, the engine floods to a stop cruisingn at 30mph about a mile after starting. But still no fuel in the oil.

The Viton tipped needle and a new more balancee cooling fan has delayed buying a new needle valve.. as the reduced vibration from the fan plus the viton means wear has slowed down.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: