Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I visited with my buddy today and he said he rethought it.... and his diode hack won't work. I couldn't see it but I was willing to learn something. So... I'm going to order one of those trailer light adapters.

The column that was in the buggy was out if a Ghia, maybe. It has a 3x3 square with spade terminals, and slots to screw under the dash. It made for a horrible hole through the original ABS dash. I bought a bug column that is just a round tube, so that is another tune up project.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
So.... Samanth came with the single Impala taillights, and little Hitchhiker's mounted above the license plate.

I've gone over the wiring diagram and it shows I need 3 elements for the taillights, but.... Shirley, there's gotta be a way to make a 2 element bulb do everything: lights, brakes, blinkers????

Anyone have any help?

This circuit is what I use on my buggy to combine brake lights and turn signals (as seen on older Bugs and many American vehicles) and it also combines the front parking lights and turn signals in the same fashion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I think I see it. 85 and 86 is the coil, and looks like 87A and 30 are normally closed and 87 and 30 are normally open. This would allow brake power straight through the coil and the blinker would break it with the flasher. Same with the front park, although I have dual element in the front. Just checked Amazon, they said that trailer switch is at my front door
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
I think I see it. 85 and 86 is the coil, and looks like 87A and 30 are normally closed and 87 and 30 are normally open. This would allow brake power straight through the coil and the blinker would break it with the flasher. Same with the front park, although I have dual element in the front. Just checked Amazon, they said that trailer switch is at my front door

You got it.

Some people have good luck with a trailer adapter, for others it doesn't seem to work. If you do have problems try adding a little load between the input terminals and ground to simulate actual lights connected on the input side. Even 360 ohm 1/2 watt resistors might be enough, for a little more load 100 ohm 2 watt resistors could be used.

To just adapt the brake lights and turn signals in the rear you can do it with just 2 relays. The side effect is front brake lights, but I'm not aware of any state where that is illegal.

516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Here's Samantha's new taillights. After researching, the originals weren't from an Impala. They're from a Biscayne. Basically, it's the same, like calling a Firebird a Trans Am!! Wink I won't use them all, but pretty nice set. Brand new LED Impala taillights! Whoowee!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

What is the hole diameter they fit in?
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I'll post a pic, but basically they fit with a 1" hole and a stud top and bottom. The hole just needs to be big enough to fit the wires.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I would love to have a set of those instead of what I have but I would have to glass in the present holes first then. Not quite ready to do that yet.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

If they don't fall through you should be good. The original owner of my Manx cut large holes, nearly the diameter of the original taillights. I don't think he needed that big of a hole with those either. So, for the new lights, I'm going to have to come up with a bracket to secure them to the body.

On another note: I was playing with my wiring the other day, and installed that trailer adapter, it made my brake lights come on. It was late and I didn't dig into the issue, but...
Does that have to do with the issue requiring a resistor?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

You appear to be pushing into several potential problem areas at once, so it is hard to say.

The brake light switch (or the turn signal switch) can be a high resistance connection when off. This isn't even noticed with conventional tail lights, but can be a problem with LEDs because they need so little current. It can cause some LED tail lights to go to full brake light brightness when just the lower output tail lights are requested.

Some trailer converters need to see a ground at the inputs when those inputs are off.

With LED tail lights are are likely going to need a flasher designed for them. Conventional flashers need about an amp (or more) of current to work.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Should have added:

Lights were fine prior to adding the trailer module, except for blinkers**** like I said it was late, but I may not have had the blinkers powered prior to installing the traler module... And I didn't hook up the output ground. I did touch it to ground but that was it
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Here's how I roll: I've found my stress level is much lower if I write my tasks down; rather than try to keep from forgetting. If I try to remember everything, I get frazzled, worried I'm going to forget, and it causes unneeded stress. There's 4 of these right now.

Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Hey I say if it's working for you. I think we all have a method to the madness.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

The lists were a recent conversation with my buddy and his wife. He's building a really rare 69 Dodge Dart GTS Convertible with a factory big block. He keeps it all in his head, and it rolls out his lips four times a day. It drives his wife nuts. I told her to hand him a note pad and a pencil everytime he repeats himself. He was doing the same thing with me one day he was helping me. He kept naming things to do for my Manx and I had to keep telling him to read the list. It's already on the wall!
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen one of these? I imagine it was green 50 years ago. The dash is discolored under it, I'd kinda like another one
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Hi. Thank you for your wiring help!! Here's what I found. The blinker switch was leaking @6 volts. And. The was enough to make the trailer adapter turn on the brake lights. After this and that blah blah blah. I connected a regular bulb as a resistor, and wholla... is that how you spell wall-ah? So... I had some resistors but they weren't enough. But. Problem solved!!! Whoop whoop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: