Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single 40 IDF Intake Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

72 in early summer in Missouri? Now i know your making shit up because early summer in Missouri is hotter than that, hell we hit 81 this week, pretty sure we were in the 40’s too though… but still , unless you were driving at night early summer here is way hotter than 70’s. And so what if it did have frost on the intake, just means there’s a cooling effect on the intake charge and temp difference from ambient which is actually good because the O2 is denser, unless your one of those ppl that runs an engine so lean its on the cusp of being a cutting torch already. And even if it did cool the IAT enough to be an issue the heat from the heat risers doesn’t provide enough heat to reach the upper part of the intake , below the carb , anyhow. And i doubt it heats the intake enough to change the IAT much more than what passing through the end castings would do. Ive run N/A with & without heat just to test this so you’re not showing me anything i havent already seen. The only intake i have seen that might have helped with getting heat all the way to the carb was one for a 32/36 that had the heat tube not just run along the base of the intake but went into the aluminum casting & up and back down the back side all the way to the carb base. THAT might actually provide enough heat to do something.
I know i can get a single center mount to run great without heat, i dont think id be so eager to post and prove my inability to not, just to TRY to prove your point that a carb needs a heated intake. That shit is just a bandaid for other problems ( again with the exception being cold climate)
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

You need to tell GM, Ford, Chrysler etc that they all screwed up when they used both exhaust and coolant to heat the intakes on their old carb'd engines.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

If you look at the historical temp averages over the last 5 years for June in St. Louis or Kansas City on Climate.missouri.edu you'll see that the average temperature trace crosses the 72°F mark at least 25 separate times. So it's safe to say for a morning commute, my statement of conditions where I had a problem was likely accurate within a few degrees, maybe better. Data always wins, as long as you're paying attention to it. Laughing

Correct, the only intake design worth integrating if you want the undeniably better drivability which comes with that, is the CB or old redline one where the heat is ported up to the carb base. The primary goal of all that is to hold the fuel in suspension UNTIL it gets to the end castings, which are wicking heat from the heads.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
72 in early summer in Missouri? Now i know your making shit up because early summer in Missouri is hotter than that, hell we hit 81 this week, pretty sure we were in the 40’s too though… but still , unless you were driving at night early summer here is way hotter than 70’s. And so what if it did have frost on the intake, just means there’s a cooling effect on the intake charge and temp difference from ambient which is actually good because the O2 is denser, unless your one of those ppl that runs an engine so lean its on the cusp of being a cutting torch already. And even if it did cool the IAT enough to be an issue the heat from the heat risers doesn’t provide enough heat to reach the upper part of the intake , below the carb , anyhow. And i doubt it heats the intake enough to change the IAT much more than what passing through the end castings would do. Ive run N/A with & without heat just to test this so you’re not showing me anything i havent already seen. The only intake i have seen that might have helped with getting heat all the way to the carb was one for a 32/36 that had the heat tube not just run along the base of the intake but went into the aluminum casting & up and back down the back side all the way to the carb base. THAT might actually provide enough heat to do something.
I know i can get a single center mount to run great without heat, i dont think id be so eager to post and prove my inability to not, just to TRY to prove your point that a carb needs a heated intake. That shit is just a bandaid for other problems ( again with the exception being cold climate)

Do you have a wideband O2 sensor? Have you ever used one during your testing? Even in 80deg weather, you would see an sizable AFR difference with and without a heated intake.

There is more to it than just air density with carbs. If the fuel is having trouble staying suspended, you will need to add way more fuel just to get it to run "decent". The air temperature ALWAYS drops when it is accelerated through a venturi. Regardless how high the ambient temp is, it will ALWAYS drop temp.

Seems pointless to me to own a vehicle that will only run great when its 70+ outside, just because I think the intake charge might be a little more dense. I have battled this for years in my daily drivers, and tried all kinds of different ways to overcome it. Some work better than others.

Are you actually driving something regularly on the street? Like day to day use, different times of the day, or is your testing just in some woods buggy?

Just like the rest of the automotive world for the last 100 years, I will take as much manifold heat as I can get, and be happy with my improved MPG, cleaner exhaust, easier re-starting, smoother idle, MUCH improved drive-ability, and the ability to drive my car most all the year regardless of outside temp.

DesertSasquatchXploration, I think you are on the right track, and it will work out great. At least you have an understanding of the physics needed to make it work as correctly as possible.

Seems to be a growing trend when BFB posts on a good thread, they take a turn down the shitter, and then get locked...... Unfortunately, this one is headed that way. Lots of good info in here.

Brian
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Couple of questions:
Why didn't you consider the CB "space saver" IDF intake manifold with their matching throttle cable rig?

Also. will you make any provision for heating intake air (like stock air cleaners do)?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Couple of questions:
Why didn't you consider the CB "space saver" IDF intake manifold with their matching throttle cable rig?

I have a particular soft spot for that manifold for lots of reasons, including it's heat piping path and end tube size for mildly configured moderate sized engines, but one thing the CB manifolds always seem to do is hammer the steel tubes loose or corrode in the casting bores. I ran the FAT tubular manifold similar to the one he is making in this thread for that reason. It really sucked without heat, but I needed instantaneous durability, not drivability for what I was doing. (It was my big trip out west to the Rockies, the desert and Moab) I eventually made my own "super press fit" version of the CB space saver by boring the tube receiving holes in the aluminum center casting deeper, and pressing in SS sanitary tubing with some barely possible interference fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other thing I have found super helpful is to make a shroud brace to keep that from flopping at all when you land or on really rough washboard roads, and then also make a tab to reference the single IDF to. It makes everything way more rigid and you're not relying on that one top case bolt and/or carb heat tubes to keep that carb from moving.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Couple of questions:

Also. will you make any provision for heating intake air (like stock air cleaners do)?

I just really don't like the throttle cable setup its very close to the air filter making it hard to fit a foam prefilter and or Outerwear. Its right in the freaking way! Doing a box around the air filter is now a bit more complicated having to drill holes for the cable to pass thru. No thanks.

I built a hot air box for the stock carb setup it worked well. So yes I'm going to build a Sheetmetal box around a 6 inch tall air filter with dual 2 inch flex hoses pulling air from under the heads. During the summer I will remove the flex hose.

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Nice. I'm thinking of doing the same but for a Zenith 32 NDIX. Another way to do the heat risers would be to box in the area around the risers with some sheet welded to the risers on the front, back and bottom. The flange would have to be rectangular so the top of the "box" could be welded to it. Have a central vertical baffle that goes from the bottom of the box up close to the flange. Then weld in the heat tubes to the bottom of the box. The exhaust goes in and up over the baffle and down the other side and out. I'm thinking better heat transfer compared to just the heat tubes welded to the risers.

I like your idea. I do have some 1x2inch rectangle tube that would work, I played with the idea its very promising but ended up doing the 22.5 cuts to build the tight 180.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Did you test the preheater tube for leaks?

The temp drop from the venturi effect is real - about 70F

Most charts indicate its worse below 70F and humidity above 80%. Where I live, that is almost never, so I can get away with it, for the most part. Its aways there though to some degree

About the low profile manifold from CB. I almost bought one of those, but in a bus, there is only room for an air cleaner about 1" tall. Its good for bugs and ghias though.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Did you test the preheater tube for leaks?

The temp drop from the venturi effect is real - about 70F

Most charts indicate its worse below 70F and humidity above 80%. Where I live, that is almost never, so I can get away with it, for the most part. Its aways there though to some degree

About the low profile manifold from CB. I almost bought one of those, but in a bus, there is only room for an air cleaner about 1" tall. Its good for bugs and ghias though.

Yes did a dunk in the pool used duct tape on the carb flange head first no leaks. I did test the heat riser before it was welded to the intake it had a few pin holes had to grind and re-weld all is good.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

My beef with CB Performance is how rude the sales guy was with me. I emailed a simple question about getting the performance stock carb intake with-out the poorly drilled dual carb bolt pattern. Ill drill my own 34pict holes the dual hole pattern weakens the shit out of the flange. He told me they get them that way they have no control how they come. WTF really?? You have no control?? I'm out I want nothing to do with your products. Sounds like they are in bed with EMPI I HATE EMPI. Those holes look drilled in china to me. I have door handles and the oil fill from EMPI both are trash.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Empi sell the identical intake.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Yes but they wont tell you its the same. I would respect them more if they just would admit its an empi casting or don't sell it at all.

So if CB sells the single IDF manifold for 180$-$200 and it falls apart off road then... I have to source thick wall stainless pipe press it into the CB casting pray to god it doesn't crack. I'm now in what 300$ screw that ill make my own. I'm down some MiG wire and a bit of co2/Argon gas mix so what.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

The Opening where the carb sits is to big on all of those cast center mount manifold everyone sells, CB included.
That's why I also made my own.
Having the runners an even 1-1/2 dia. from the carb to the end casting makes a big difference in tuning and drivability.

If they make them to fit everything then it fits nothing IMO

But that's just my opinion and experience.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

I would hope making your own intake manifold is far more difficult than making a brace to support the carburetor.
I'm sorry, that's just simple thing to make. Common sense.

The stock carburetor manifold is supported by the heat riser tubes.
If that's not the case anymore, then you have to replace it with something.

Doesn't matter what brand, or if you make it yourself, it's just common sense.
You can brace it to the shroud, or down to the fuel pump, or connect it to the generator/alternator strap, ect.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
The Opening where the carb sits is to big on all of those cast center mount manifold everyone sells, CB included.
That's why I also made my own.
Having the runners an even 1-1/2 dia. from the carb to the end casting makes a big difference in tuning and drivability.

If they make them to fit everything then it fits nothing IMO

But that's just my opinion and experience.

I agree,
QRP, I copied your brace from the carb mounting stud to the exhaust header.

With the heat risers welded to the intake...Its solid but has the right amount of (give). The CB and all other aluminum low pressure cast center section slip fit heat riser intakes fail they just stress crack ( I see them for sale used cracked at the heat riser all the time) just another reason to build your own.

modok wrote:
I would hope making your own intake manifold is far more difficult than making a brace to support the carburetor.
I'm sorry, that's just simple thing to make. Common sense.

The stock carburetor manifold is supported by the heat riser tubes.
If that's not the case anymore, then you have to replace it with something.

Doesn't matter what brand, or if you make it yourself, it's just common sense.
You can brace it to the shroud, or down to the fuel pump, or connect it to the generator/alternator strap, ect.

Modok your correct. What if I did an L shaped tab off the above mentioned brace with a big hose clamp around the generator that would really lock everything in solid. I could make a sheet metal brush cover the hose clamp would clamp that in place as well trash that plastic one.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

It needs a cool name, like CB would give it. Ramflo, super sucker….
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
kpf wrote:
I've interacted with numerous VW owners who claimed their engines run great, but they didn't run great. Not even good. I think that a lot of people believe it is normal for VWs and old cars in general to run like crap. They judge their engine to meet these low expectations and thus conclude that "it runs great!"

Bingo you don't know how bad you got it if you haven't had anything better.
Same goes for girls and misbehaved/untrained dogs.

Double Bingo!!! This is absolutely the case!

Last edited by oprn on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

Up and running!! My narrow band AFR is reporting borderline lean at a cruise so its safe, pulls strong with a 130 main and 160 air correction F11 I will dig into that later.

The idle was kicking my ass. First I had 58 idle jets way fat went to 48's much better 1 1/4 out on the idle mixture screws. But the idle speed screw was 1.5 turns in and air bypass screws a 1/4 out still idled like shit with fuel standoff like crazy. I then realized the butterfly's weren't drilled so pulled off the carb drilled them to .082 thousands. Wow what a difference 1 turn on the idle speed screw and the idle bypass screws are (very lightly seated). So now I just have to dial in the acc pump circuit and play around with the main circuit. Hope to have a YouTube video up soon.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 IDF Intake Build Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
My narrow band AFR is reporting borderline lean at a cruise so its safe

Define "borderline lean at cruise" for us please. Some guys run as lean as 17/1 on light cruise, my engine doesn't seem to like leaner than 16/1 but maybe I need more light cruise advance. How much vacuum advance are you running?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: