Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chenowth Engine Options
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedyGringo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

A Chenowth V2RL1W followed me home a few months ago for nearly nothing. Prior owner said it ran great when parked. It's a H serialed case (1500/1600?) single port with dual ICTs, Melling oil pump, external oil cooler, good tins. Someone spent some time on it at some point. Swing axle trans, probably from the same late 60s bug. Most importantly, it has a VIN and was previously titled. Probably did run great when last ran 5-8 years ago. Water likely got into the carbs and into the cylinders/head when it was left outside and it is now locked up tight. Needs rewriting and some brakes r&r'ed, but everything is there and it appeared cared for a long time in its life.

I have been working on freeing the seized H series and pulled valve covers last night to find the valve springs rusted and things not looking much better inside the cylinders. I am hesitant to put any money into a single relief H case. This leaves me with a couple of choices:

1. Keep the H and repair/replace the springs, cylinders, pistons, rights and whatever ever else, run it till it breaks, rinse/repeat. If it spun and had compression, I would leave it alone and run the thing until it died and build something in the meantime.
Cost: Can of worms and may end up in rebuilding the H series in a round about way, which doesn't excite me.

2. Tear the H case down for parts, get a dual relief case and build something from there, reusing what I could from the H.
Cost: ~$1,000?

3. Buy a 1600 variant long block locally, slap it in and do some wheelies and annoy the neighbors.
Cost: ~$2,000. Most expensive option.

4. A neighbor has a Type 4 1.8 from a 75 bus that dropped a valve and is complete. He offered to me for less than scrap value and comes with tins, flywheel, clutch, exhaust, etc.. Engine spins free. I thought about tearing it down to a short block, replacing gaskets, checking things and having the heads re-done. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the 1.8 will bolt up with a minimal amount of modification to the swing axle, with small machining to the flywheel and a throwout bearing. I think I have enough parts to between my seized H series and the Type 4 for an upright cooling conversion (I have the book).
Cost: I think I could do this for around $600-$750 worst case scenario.

4. Something else - Honda swap?
Cost: Unknown.

Eventual plans include an IRS conversion and something better in the long run, but for now, having a running buggy would go a long way with my wife knowing that it goes faster than 2 mph when I am pushing around the backyard.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

"H" case? Be interesting to see what the title says. It would be more interesting if the transaxle was a '67. You can bolt anything up to a '67.

I have freed wet stuck engines in or from buggies more times than I care to count. Cylinders and heads are probably junk. You need to get the cylinders and heads off to get a better look inside. Except...

If you drain the oil and a whole buncha water comes out chances are you have a rusty crank and maybe case rot. There might not be much left to rebuild.

Single relief cores are inexpensive. Seems many of not most VW enthusiasts prefer dual relief cases or maybe they're shying away from DIY rebuilds in general.

It's relatively easy to do a hone it, re- ring it and whack it back together Third World rebuild especially if you have hand me down cylinders that aren't rusty.. You can buy a lot of single relief cores within your budget. It only takes a few minutes to swap the engine in a buggy.

You might even find a good deal on a dual port.

I wouldn't mess with Type 4 unless it's going into a Bus.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Just rebuild the H , nothing wrong with a single relief case, hell its made it all these years already. Ive built several single relief H case engines to 1835’s and 1915’s , might have even made a 2L or two i don’t remember.
I’d go through the whole thing but like Dusty1 said, nothing wrong with just replacing P&C and heads if the internals look good.
Sounds like you want quick cheap & easy, which the type4 isn’t. And you dont really know what your getting with a used engine ( unless the 1600 you mentioned is rebuilt). So id say buy some 87’s or 88 slip in’s , new heads and have it
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Personally if you can store it out of the weather I would grab that type 4 engine even if you did not use it right away. They are getting rare and at the very least it would give you some bartering power. At best all it needs is a couple of rebuilt heads and a good used piston and will make as much or more usable power in stock form than a tricked up type 1 engine of the same size.

As for the present engine you are out guessing yourself by trying to make plans before it is completely apart, cleaned and measured. Do that first. Depending on what you are going to use the car for you might find as I did that a good 1600SP in an 800 pound rail has all the balls you really need for trail riding in the back country. If you are a "I need to rip up the sod wherever I go" kind of guy then you can never get enough power.

P.S. Your dollar figures for a rebuild are 30 or more years old. My last 1600 single port refresh cost me $2500 with mostly good used parts.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

how did a SP 1600 refresh cost you $2500??
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpeedyGringo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

My price estimates might be off (it's been ~30 years since I turned a wrench on VWs) but $2500 seems like a heck of a lot for a 1600 refresh.

I am going to do a little more investigating on what I have and see what I can do with it. Outside of the valve springs, the rest of the valvetrain hardware was spotless. Once I pull the heads, I will know more.

I appreciate the suggestion on picking up and holding the type 4. I have some room in my shed for it and might just grab it. The price is cheap enough that I could easily break even just sitting on it and selling it later if I don't need/use.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

SpeedyGringo wrote:

I appreciate the suggestion on picking up and holding the type 4. I have some room in my shed for it and might just grab it.

This is an interesting way to think. So you're telling me you contemplate whether you have room for something BEFORE you buy it?!

I don't know why I never thought of that! Laughing
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

#4....(you have 2 #4s), Hondas often turn the wrong way. They are light, rev like crazy and durable....except when overheated.

Do you want to fool with wiring in a ECM and TBI/FI. If not, there are a ton of older motors that will work. This is probably what I'd do if I were you. I'm putting a Nissan Z24 in my buggy now.

I may have missed it....what suspension do you have? IRS or SA?

How fast do yo want to go? Where are you going to run it? 75HP is plenty in the dsert and mountains. Heck, 75 is enough (barely) in the dunes. They used to dune w/50HP.

Toyota Camry 3fe motor...125 HP. I just saw the 2.2 version on Marketplace for $200. They are a 300K mile motor. I just took my Camry block to the machinist. I lifted it outa the back of my PU by myself....#50-75#. I can carry the head with one hand.

The Ecoboost motor is pretty common.

Subarus are common, but I'm not really sold on them. But, they seem to last.

Nissan K24 (actually any Nissan). Some of the Sentra motors are killer.

Where are you? I am in Junction. I have a Nissan 3.0 V6. It ran fine until my son turned in front of a GVT bus.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/4-cylinder-engine-list
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

I just went through my receipts and the parts and machining alone comes to $1690. Then there is shipping on parts (didn't all come from the same place), two way shipping on the case, two way shipping on the rotating assembly for balancing. That would bring the cost to well past $2000. I reused the cylinders and pistons and I had a set of lightly used heads that required nothing but cleaning.

I don't think my $2500 estimate is that far off. Type 1 engines are expensive to rebuild now because they are so used up that they take a lot of machining and new parts.
SpeedyGringo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Stinky123 wrote:
#4....(you have 2 #4s), Hondas often turn the wrong way. They are light, rev like crazy and durable....except when overheated.

Do you want to fool with wiring in a ECM and TBI/FI. If not, there are a ton of older motors that will work. This is probably what I'd do if I were you. I'm putting a Nissan Z24 in my buggy now.

I may have missed it....what suspension do you have? IRS or SA?

How fast do yo want to go? Where are you going to run it? 75HP is plenty in the dsert and mountains. Heck, 75 is enough (barely) in the dunes. They used to dune w/50HP.

Toyota Camry 3fe motor...125 HP. I just saw the 2.2 version on Marketplace for $200. They are a 300K mile motor. I just took my Camry block to the machinist. I lifted it outa the back of my PU by myself....#50-75#. I can carry the head with one hand.

The Ecoboost motor is pretty common.

Subarus are common, but I'm not really sold on them. But, they seem to last.

Nissan K24 (actually any Nissan). Some of the Sentra motors are killer.

Where are you? I am in Junction. I have a Nissan 3.0 V6. It ran fine until my son turned in front of a GVT bus.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/4-cylinder-engine-list

I am in the South Denver burbs but I have a good friend who lives in Grand Junction. I would like to get the buggy out that way once it runs under it's own power.

It's currently set up as swing axle. While I don't turn wrenches for a living, I have what I think is a lot of experience with EFI on n/a and boosted Toyota engines - I was looking at the 1nz-fe - there are a bazillion out there, they are light, handle abuse well and you can buy a complete import with harness and ECM for under 1k. I have a welder and enough sense to know when I need to fab up and tack something and when I need to go buy a 6 pack for a welder friend. If I swap, I would like something at least 100hp to make it worth the time. otherwise, the Type 4 makes more sense.

I plan to tear down the existing engine (weather permitting) Friday and see if it's a boat anchor now or if it has a few more revs in it before it croaks.
SpeedyGringo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
SpeedyGringo wrote:

I appreciate the suggestion on picking up and holding the type 4. I have some room in my shed for it and might just grab it.

This is an interesting way to think. So you're telling me you contemplate whether you have room for something BEFORE you buy it?!

I don't know why I never thought of that! Laughing

I kinda, sorta dragged the buggy home without telling my wife. Which would have been fine, but I already had another non-running buggy at home. Needless to say, I have used up all my good husband points and dipped into credit. Making sure I have room for it before I get it means I don't have to worry about where I am sleeping at night.
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

100HP is sorta the limit on a VW transaxle. They say that it will handle more....BUT. A lot of it depends on how much torque you have AND the size of your tires.

I had a 2000cc Pinto in mine and 2 problems w/it. I tore the center out of a clutch and the other time broke an axle (I was on it hard and hit a hole in the ground, that was covered by grass). It broke the duck-bill end off the SA-Axle.

I wouldn't put a high HP motor in it. 125 is more than enough. My Pinto was stock at 100, and I put headers and a BIG Autolite on it. I used to say that it had about 125.

If I was gonna switch transaxles....it would be to a bus box.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Stinky123 wrote:
100HP is sorta the limit on a VW transaxle. They say that it will handle more....BUT. A lot of it depends on how much torque you have AND the size of your tires.

I had a 2000cc Pinto in mine and 2 problems w/it. I tore the center out of a clutch and the other time broke an axle (I was on it hard and hit a hole in the ground, that was covered by grass). It broke the duck-bill end off the SA-Axle.

I wouldn't put a high HP motor in it. 125 is more than enough. My Pinto was stock at 100, and I put headers and a BIG Autolite on it. I used to say that it had about 125.

It's all about common sense and respect. Some kids can brake a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Stinky123 wrote:

I could tell my favorite Subaru with a swingaxle in a buggy story. Wait for the word problem at the end.

175hp normally aspirated 2.2 liter Subaru motor, Berrien chassis, 1967 swingaxle.

Here comes that word problem:

How many burnouts can you get on a paved street with that combination?

Answer: One.

That's with the stock 4.37 diff and 29-9.50/15 BFG tires.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chenowth Engine Options Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Stinky123 wrote:

I could tell my favorite Subaru with a swingaxle in a buggy story. Wait for the word problem at the end.

175hp normally aspirated 2.2 liter Subaru motor, Berrien chassis, 1967 swingaxle.

Here comes that word problem:

How many burnouts can you get on a paved street with that combination?

Answer: One.

That's with the stock 4.37 diff and 29-9.50/15 BFG tires.

Wiki says my 2.4L Quad 4 swapped rig puts out 150hp and 155 ftlbs, however, I wouldn't claim that's what I'm getting. Between the downgraded ECM (older model for wiring simplification), and intake and exhaust modifications I'm sure my changes did not help the output. I run a 094 which is a bus box with a stronger reverse gear. I baby that throttle the best I can.

I'd much rather have a VW motor. Swaps are their own thing, but it's not for everyone. Unless you follow a strict proven setup, you're gonna waste a lot of money and time figuring things out like I did. If you're gonna swap, be prepared to spend at least twice what building a VW motor would cost you before you get it done.

Kinda off topic, sorry. I got my engine swap soap box out today... Rolling Eyes
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: