Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cab door top weather strip seal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

Finally decided to replace a cab door top weatherstrip seal that a PO installed wrong (twisted).

Does the door top need to come off completely, or just be lifted a little to feed the seal in to the channel?

I want to minimise the risk of breaking the window glass.

If it has to come off completely; any tips to minimise accidentally breaking the glass?

And does it make any difference to the final result if it's fed in from the front or rear? Don't want this one to end up twisted like the current seal.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

If you are referring to the rubber seal between the bottom of the window frame and the top of the door, then yes you need to completely remove the frame from the door. I can not for the life of me imagine how this seal could be installed twisted. Post up pictures.

I guess though if you want to just lift the window frame up an inch and slide the seal into place you could make slices where it goes around the parts of the frame that slides into the door but at that point you might as well just pull it the rest of the way out it’s only about another six inches or so.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
If you are referring to the rubber seal between the bottom of the window frame and the top of the door ... I can not for the life of me imagine how this seal could be installed twisted. Post up pictures.

No, I mean the flap-type seal that goes round the top of the door frame and seals it to the door aperture when the door is closed.
It slides in to a channel that runs round the door top.

A PO installed it so the flap at the forward edge, where it seals against the A pillar, points in toward the cab. The rest of the flap points outward, which is correct.

I can see that the door top needs to come up to feed it in to the channel. I'm just checking whether the frame needs to come out completely or just lifted up enough to feed the seal in.

I just want to minimise the risk of busting a window.

The door has always been hard to shut compared to the other cab door where the seal is correctly installed, so I think the twisted bit at the A-pillar is what is making it hard to shut.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

OK I gotcha sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think that it would be worth it to just remove the frame completely to be able to handle it better. I have rebuilt several frames in the past and that seal isn’t too difficult to slide in place with some silicone spray. Once you take the bolts and nuts holding the frame assembly loose it gets very floppy in the door. I would be more concerned with trying to avoid loosing my grip on the entire door assembly while all the hardware is removed and the frame assembly is partially removed from the rest of the door. All the windows are still very secure in the frame even when removed from the door completely. I usually use a wooden table with a clean moving blanket secured to it. I usually use clamps to keep the blanket from sliding around to avoid pieces falling to the floor.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

This seal
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Not my Bus)

I've replaced that seal with everything fully installed.

The seal doesn't tuck in at the ends so no need to loosen anything.

It slides right in but it's not easy to work it all the way around, even with lots of spray lube.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

I asked this in another post but got no reply: do you want that seal pulled tight and straight, or loose and wavy like in Everett's pic? Or in-between? I pulled it straight and then pulled it towards the outside FWIW.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

It's straight but not stretched and doesn't have a lot of tension.

I sort of inch it in bit by bit but make sure I also push it together too while doing it. I've always done it on original frames so it doesn't slide in very easily.

It will shrink a bit so I leave the ends at each side a little long for a while before trimming them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
I asked this in another post but got no reply: do you want that seal pulled tight and straight, or loose and wavy like in Everett's pic? Or in-between? I pulled it straight and then pulled it towards the outside FWIW.

I usually have it fairly tight and not wavy. It will shrink a little over time.

It is also important to train it to lean toward the outside so it fits right when the door is closed. For the first few months, I use some thick flexible plastic like a reusable grocery bag. Close the door with the plastic in between the seal and the body and then pull the plastic out so the seal is pulled to the outside.

Also, good luck with the fit, there ain't much room between the top of the window frame and the body.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

Ha, so that seal is the only one I've done right. :P

Quote:
there ain't much room between the top of the window frame and the body.

It does force the driver door out of alignment and makes it hard to close: I suspect it puts just enough stress down and out to tweak a slightly-worn hinge pin.
My door was fully assembled and I slid this seal in with little difficulty, to answer OP's question. I left it long on both ends to see how much it shrinks.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

I have installed that seal without moving the door top window frame at all.

The most work is getting the old seal out, tends to be squashed shut at the ends of the channel, so had to carefully pry it open. Used some PB blaster to help slide the seal bits out. I didn’t want to chip the old paint on the door top, so a wooden stick is better than a metal stick.

Use an old toothbrush to clean the channel when the bits are out, and use lube to slide the new seal in. I used glycerin.

I left it a bit loose/ long. meant to go back and check it later,

You might keep the glycerin handy in the bus, and give the seal a wipe with it from time to time till it stops sticking the door shut.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

I like Lind's suggestion of closing the door on a plastic bag then pulling the bag out to have the seal wind up facing outwards. Only time itself will "train" a new seal to act right. My go to tool for this stuff is a RC Model Airplane hard nylon propeller. Slip in between the seal and the body and slide it up or down get the seal to fit right. Works great even on the pop out window seals.

If you can find a propeller from a Cox control line airplane engine, the old .049 engines that used a 5 or 6 inch diameter prop, those are the real swiss army knives of doing this stuff.

If you are going to replace the seal across the top of the door window frame and you decide to remove the entire frame/glass assembly from the door.....beware.....no, BEWARE......a previous owner that might have installed the metal channel below the windows without putting the small bolts, washers and nuts to hold it to the vertical posts....OR.....perhaps they have rusted out and disappeared....point being when you get it all loose and lift you don't want the sliding glass and the fixed glass to fall out either into the cab or outwards to the ground! Regardless, I'd lift it just enough to get duct tape under it and then wrapped up and around the entire window assembly to hold it all together before fully lifting it all off the top of the door.

Or consider yourself extremely lucky to manage to grab both pieces of glass in an Oh Sh*t! moment. Smile

You'll need to thoroughly clean the channel to get a new rubber seal in it. Small picks. When you think you have it clean try again. You'll find more of the dried petrified rubber still stuck in the channels. The ends of the channels might be crimped closed so you will probably have to gently pry them back open. I use SilGlyde to lube the seal and the channel to install the seal, dont be surprised if you have to clamp a pair of vice grips to the end of the seal to pull it into place.

Good Luck!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cab door top weather strip seal Reply with quote

Thanks all. Some useful tips there.

I had some time early this morning so I had a go with the door top on.

The old strip came out without too much of a struggle. That probably made me a little over-confident fitting the new seal though. The channel was pinched in a few places. I couldn't see the pinch points, but the seal got stuck a couple of times and I tore a little chunk off the flap trying to pull it through.

I tried opening the channel up with plastic trim tools and some wood strips, but it was tougher than the tools. I resorted to a screwdriver to bend the channel open at the pinch points which cracked and chipped paint at those spots. Kind of annoying, but it's an older respray and the paint didn't seem to very good there.

Weirdly; I found more indications that the paint may have been applied over original paint in some spots. Some bits flaked off and revealed shiny bare metal. I couldn't see a primer layer in the paint chips. Others areas left a paler blue layer below that seems firmly adhered to the metal. I think those spots might be original paint.

Once the channel was sorted and lubed with Silicone spray, the seal slid round easily and laid down perfectly at the corners and folded naturally to the outside when the door closed. God knows how the PO screwed the old one up. Maybe it was just stiffer.

The door shuts easier, so I reckon that was the problem.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: