Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

Hey ya'll!

About a year ago, I purchased a '71 Super Beetle as an engagment gift to my now wife.

I was never a fan of classic VW, but my wife was so in love with them that I knew it'd make a great gift. (She even has a tatoo of one.)

But once I got it home, I realised that I was in for a wild ride...I'm not new to working on cars, as I've replaced water pumps, alternators, brakes, etc on newer cars, but I definetely have never done the work that I'm about to do.

As I've been working on it, (it sat for about a year before we bought a house and moved it to the garage) I quickly fell in love with how simple everything is.

That being said, there is a lot of body work that needs to be done, and I have never even touched a welder before. I have a lot to learn, but I am super excited to one day take my wife to some of the local VW meets in the Tampa Bay area.

I'm very excited for the work ahead! Expect quite a few newbie questions from me in the near future.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by EvanAskins on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

I hate rust and usually it’s not localized. I would immediately look the entire car over for rust and determine if it makes sense to try and repair. Anything can be fixed but you gotta balance the time, potentially hundreds of hours with cost parts supplies and labor. It doesn’t have to make economic sense as there are many cars running around that owners have gone overboard restoring to the point they have spent 25k for a car that is worth 8 to 10k on a good day. Who knows when but super beetles might be worth serious coin some day if you stay around a few years.
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I hate rust and usually it’s not localized. I would immediately look the entire car over for rust and determine if it makes sense to try and repair. Anything can be fixed but you gotta balance the time, potentially hundreds of hours with cost parts supplies and labor. It doesn’t have to make economic sense as there are many cars running around that owners have gone overboard restoring to the point they have spent 25k for a car that is worth 8 to 10k on a good day. Who knows when but super beetles might be worth serious coin some day if you stay around a few years.

The floor pans definitely need to be replaced, and the heater channels need to go. The A and B pillars look good, and the chasis doesn't look bad either. From what I've seen, heater channels and floor pans are a super common replacment, so in my mind it doesn't make much sense to buy a donor car that will most likely have the same issue...not too sure though!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

Welcome! That is the same year and color my SB was! If that is the worst rust on that car then it is pretty cherry for it's age. Absolutely it is worth fixing up!

Keep us posted please.
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Welcome! That is the same year and color my SB was! If that is the worst rust on that car then it is pretty cherry for it's age. Absolutely it is worth fixing up!

Keep us posted please.

I'm not too sure about the formalities, but should I just start a new thread in the Super Beetle section and continiously post updates to that thread?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

EvanAskins wrote:
oprn wrote:

Keep us posted please.

I'm not too sure about the formalities, but should I just start a new thread in the Super Beetle section and continiously post updates to that thread?

Evan, You can continue to post in this forum, if you wish.
But posting in the 68 and up forum will garner better and more knowledgeable answers, when you have a question about your car. Plus, folks there will likely see more of your car than in the General / Chat forum.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

Ask a mod to bump your thread over to super Beetlr world

And a spouse who likes any VW as an engagement gift is awesome …
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

Moved!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
omegared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

If you're looking for VW shows or swap meets in the Tampa Bay area there is a pretty decent one in Dade City called The Bug Jam. I'm not sure what time of year it is but I'm sure the internet does.

1966 Bus
1976 Bus
1971 Standard Beetle
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Member / VW Newbie Reply with quote

So I got the engine out an onto a stand! The harbor freight stand only let me attached the top two mounts, so I wont be able to split the case until I get a hold of a VW adaptor.

That being said, I found out that this engine isn't the original! It's an AJ model that was originally FI. (A previous owner did a carb conversion.) My question is, whats with the extra port on the top of the intake manifold? I can't find anything like it, and I'm considering just buying a new dual port intake manifold...any suggestions?

omegared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

"My question is, whats with the extra port on the top of the intake manifold?"

Had one of these manifolds on a '76 bus. If I remember correctly it is a vacuum line port that runs to the vacuum assist brakes. If not using vacuum assist brakes it can jus be plugged.

1966 Bus
1976 Bus
1971 Standard Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

Exhaust gas recirculation. It would have had a small pipe going to muffler. The tube on the left side was vacuum port for distributor. Autostik cars had a huge vacuum port in addition to that.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

Small world, I recognize the apartment building, my son used to live there off US 19 in Clearwater. There is plenty of VW enthusiasts in this area, good luck.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

Got the body off the pan. I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to store all these pieces I'm removing before the rebuild!
T1SuperNoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

EvanAskins wrote:

Got the body off the pan. I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to store all these pieces I'm removing before the rebuild!

Awesome! Man I wish the body on my restoration project was that good. I'm in for a world of hurt compared to that!
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

EvanAskins wrote:

I wish i have restoration as "complicated" as yours.
Label everything into small bags and take a lot of pictures as you go along. Good luck Sir👍.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvanAskins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

Getting the chassis completely torn apart. Removing all the "fixes" the last owner did has been helpful in showing me what NOT to do Laughing (They welded the floor pans in with about 5 giant welds that were largely not doing anything.)

...Does anyone have a good machine shop in the tampa bay area that will work on these engines? I've called 10+ shops and no one will touch my engine with a ten foot pole. I'm not expecting much work needs to be done, but it would be nice to have a shop in my pocket just in case.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

These folks will probably be able to help or point you to where you can get the needed work done:

https://www.facebook.com/olsensvw/

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle - Total Newbie Restoration Reply with quote

EvanAskins wrote:

Getting the chassis completely torn apart. Removing all the "fixes" the last owner did has been helpful in showing me what NOT to do Laughing (They welded the floor pans in with about 5 giant welds that were largely not doing anything.)

...Does anyone have a good machine shop in the tampa bay area that will work on these engines? I've called 10+ shops and no one will touch my engine with a ten foot pole. I'm not expecting much work needs to be done, but it would be nice to have a shop in my pocket just in case.

Dude! Come on!!
If you've gotten THIS far, you can take care of the engine! What'ddya got to loose? You can do it!! you can learn something, have fun, save money! What a concept!!
Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: