Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color Identification Help
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Color Identification Help Reply with quote

Hi all, first post in the body/paint forum. I'm currently neck-deep in a death foam repair, and I'm looking to source paint for my beetle. The car was originally Bahama Blue, but some PO repainted it a different, flat blue. I like the color, and I'm not about to respray the whole car, so I'm looking to source some "matching" paint. It's single stage, but whoever painted the car was not kind enough to leave a sticker anywhere that shows what the color is. I've been all over the samba, looking at different colors, I've pored over the color charts, I went to my local body shop, and I'm no closer to having an answer. I'm not even sure it's a VW color, but I'm hoping somebody can identify it for me and save me a lot of headache... I'm leaning towards L633, VW Blue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Color Identification Help Reply with quote

You won't be able to match it unless you take it to a Professional.
Better to just paint the whole car if you want it to look good!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Color Identification Help Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You won't be able to match it unless you take it to a Professional.
Better to just paint the whole car if you want it to look good!

I ended up getting it matched at an Axalta distributor. It's an Opel/Vauxhall color from the 80's, with a 99.6% match - Nordic Blue. Problem with local pros was they all wanted to sell me a two-stage paint, which I can't use unless I scratch and shoot clear on the whole car when I'm done, given the repairs I'm doing are on the body and it's got single-stage on it currently. I likely will end up doing at least a little paint work on most body panels anyway, but I want the option to not have to shoot the whole car.

I drove 70 miles each way to get to that distributor, but totally worth it!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Color Identification Help Reply with quote

If you were going to blend the single stage you can do the same with clear.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: