Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 rear License light assembly "hood"
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: 72 rear License light assembly "hood" Reply with quote

The hood that contains the license plate light on a decklid for a 72 super beetle. There seem to be 2 styles, the kind with lines, and the kind that is smooth.

Which is correct for a 72 super beetle? I'm seeing conflicting reports online. My damaged one has the lines, but Im not sure its original to my car as it was replaced at some point.

Which would you go with?

Lines style: https://iapperformance.com/license-light-assembly-111943023b-beetle-68-79.html

Smooth style:https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-943-023-b/

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear License light assembly "hood" Reply with quote

I've never seen the line ones on my 68, 69, 72, or 73.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear License light assembly "hood" Reply with quote

I found a samba seller selling ribbed ones, they claim its a 74 era change?

I moved the discussion over to the official deck lid thread, as that felt more appropriate

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10218896#10218896

DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear License light assembly "hood" Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
The hood that contains the license plate light on a decklid for a 72 super beetle. There seem to be 2 styles, the kind with lines, and the kind that is smooth.

Which is correct for a 72 super beetle? I'm seeing conflicting reports online. My damaged one has the lines, but Im not sure its original to my car as it was replaced at some point.

My ‘72 SB came w/smooth, which I believe is correct for the year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m 99.9% certain it’s original to the car.

J.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 rear License light assembly "hood" Reply with quote

Appreciate it DUNGBTL. Ill make the swap to smooth. Hopefully the holes are the same.

As a nice bonus, the smooth ones are metal not plastic. So thats nice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: