Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch groans after engine warms up
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShazbotTKC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

We're on a counter-clockwise road trip around the country in my '78 bus, starting from California. In the Colorado Rocky Mountains, a groaning noise began when pressing the clutch, noticeable only after the engine warms up. I've tested it after letting it cool overnight; the noise doesn't occur until the engine heats up again. Now we're in Prattville, Alabama, but we're unsure if we can continue without issues.

Here’s a video capturing the noise post warm-up.

Link

Here's what I've fixes i've tried along the way on the side of the road or in parking lots:
Sprayed down the clutch arm with penetrating oil
Changed the bowden tube (had a spare)
Re-greased the clutch cable.

Any troubleshooting advice would be helpful, thank you!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

You say "re greased the clutch cable", does that mean pull it all out from the front and lube it as it goes back in? Sounds most like the pedal pivot of clevis pin, is the sound loudest at the front?, or could it be working it's way up the cable from the back?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ShazbotTKC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You say "re greased the clutch cable", does that mean pull it all out from the front and lube it as it goes back in? Sounds most like the pedal pivot of clevis pin, is the sound loudest at the front?, or could it be working it's way up the cable from the back?

I re-greased the cable at the bowden tube only while i was under there. The sound appears to be coming from the rear, based on this video I just took.

Link
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

Well then you'll have to lay below and listen while an assistant manipulates the pedal, you might need a length of hose, or a stethoscope to isolate the exact source.
And don't get run over or burn yourself on something, keep your fingers out of the action too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

Could be dryish bearings on the clutch operating shaft.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch groans after engine warms up Reply with quote

the sag on the bowden tube is almost non-existent. (00:17)
You stack washers on the inside, caught between the end perch & outlet nipple, creating some sag near the torsion tube, about an inch or so deviation from level, there's a picture in the Bentley Book. Without that the cables last a couple weeks then shred.
Seeing as you need to spin off the cable adjustment nut to do this, pack grease in there too. Some feature a rubber sleeve you can pull back to reveal a grease port that can be accessed to lube the tube/bend without disassemble. But it is really not needed once sag is properly set. I'd try that & then see how it sounds
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: