Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro or 2WD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You're going to spend so much time and effort on your syncro that you won't want to take it anywhere that the 4wd will be useful unless you really don't care about money, but then you wouldn't be asking this question.

I love my syncro because it's cool af. I have never once needed the 4wd. If I could swap a subigears automatic transmission into my syncro I would 100% do that, but unfortunately you can only get a subigears 4wd in manual. In fact, if I could go back before I had my syncro trans rebuilt for close to $7k I would just buy a subigears 6 speed and then not worry about the fragile nature of the trans. I lose the low range and locker, but I don't care. I'm never wheeling this thing.

Also, every vanagon needs an engine swap. It's unbelievable how much better it is.

This is basically where I am at. I spent so much money on this thing that I dont want to wheel it. So now I have a built-up syncro for posh manicured campgrounds. I will take it on washboards, beaches, green trails, but anything more than that forget about it.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

Our van’s original paint is very, very nice.

But Elizer’s comment is exactly why we may never paint it.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Do you want to spend a lot of money or A LOT of money?

This, but you'll still have a great time either way!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
So now I have a built-up syncro for posh manicured campgrounds. I will take it on washboards, beaches, green trails, but anything more than that forget about it.

Exactly. I took my syncro out into the winter once. Once. Never again. There was so much salt and corrosion from it I won't do that again. I don't care if I get called a tacticool mall ninja for my overbuilt overroader.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Exactly. I took my syncro out into the winter once. Once. Never again. There was so much salt and corrosion from it I won't do that again. I don't care if I get called a tacticool mall ninja for my overbuilt overroader.

This is my problem. I need a daily driver for the winter. The syncro is a perfect winter machine. They salt the roads here so much that I can't drive it in the winter!
If I had a nice 2wd I also wouldn't drive it in the winter, so that's a wash.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

I currently own a syncro that i am prepping to sell. They are awesome vehicles and super capable but the transmissions are inadequate for anything heavier than a tin top.

If you are willing to spend 5-10k on the transmission at any given time and be willing to let the van sit for 2-3 months while it is rebuilt then you'll be fine owning one. Depending on usage you may be doing this every 3-5 years. I am no longer willing

As others have mentioned a 2wd is super capable because of the weight on the rear, there are options to modify a 2wd that will bring gearing within range of the syncro granny gear.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

OP…I’ve never been, but if I were you I’d get out to Syncro Solstice in Moab at the end of May.

Do some ride-alongs in both types of rigs & spend a whole weekend learning about your options.

Money (and time) well spent… Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787013&highlight=solstice

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

There's a lot to consider in a question the OP proposed. I have been in the same position several times going back and forth on 2WD vs 4WD. Probably the biggest thing to consider if money isn't the deciding factor, is the need vs want, actual/reality terrain vs dreamed/vision terrain, investment or use it and abuse it (a little) type ownership. In my case, I chased down a low mileage 2WD manual Westy camper ($17K) almost 2 yrs ago so my wife and I can do some Southwest US camping and touring. Nothing hard-core 90% paved, 10% dirt. IF I want a little more traction off road a Peloquin locker is a good option. MPG, insurance & maintenance cost is important to consider for most. This debate can go forever, but in the end of the day it's your decision you're living with (until you/I change our mind again, ha), Cheers.

Last edited by calsurf on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

Driving on salted roads will eat up any car in short order. We don't salt the roads so I am free to use any vehicle all year. My syncros aren't investments so I get to use them offroad, the truck just took a load of greenwaste(filled completely to the top) to the landfill and is currently being refilled, I daily drove my rhd fastback and doka for decades. These vehicles can be used but if you have tons of money invested in them it would probably be a bad idea, mine are mechanically in great condition but can be used. Different stokes for different folks as they say

Last edited by syncrodoka on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Vanamax wrote:
But every car I’ve owned I’ve always wished it was 4WD.

So give me the pros and cons of syncro vs 2WD. Will I regret getting or not getting a syncro?

I have two of them and am hooked on Syncros.
But I like where they can go.

This is the best way to have a complete supply of spare parts for your syncro. Wink
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

I think your budget will dictate your choice.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Vanamax wrote:

So give me the pros and cons of syncro vs 2WD. Will I regret getting or not getting a syncro?

This is the best way to have a complete supply of spare parts for your syncro. Wink

I dunno… think “van towing van.” Wink

In our case, picture towing a complete engine and trans with CVs and its own (spare) wheels… it’d be easy to clean, too. Laughing

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

We bought our Syncro in 2005 for $4,300.00. Of course we spent plenty on repairs and moderate upgrades and it was always in ready-to-go usable condition, often a daily driver. Now we are hitting over 70 years old, probably those offroad and remote camping days are over. I'm shopping to "downgrade" to an '89 or newer Vanagon / Carat with an auto trans, mostly for comfortable day trips.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

I'm glad I got to build one from scratch. It's really a very impressive engineered package. Its too bad VW isn't making many syncro specific parts available. I also got the syncro fever out of my head.

Like silversync, we are also approaching 70. My days of winching, shoveling, airing up and down are behind me.

Don't feel bad for us, I took the money from selling the syncro and bought a barn find 1980 911 SC. A car that was on my bucket list. And I still have my sorted 82.

One last thought in case the original poster does come back, having worked on both types, many syncro repairs are 3x as difficult. Something as simple as replacing a starter is a real task.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

Vanamax wrote:
I’m not planning to specifically go off-roading for a hobby, and will mostly be camping in state parks and delivering kayaks down to rivers (which can involve some sloppy trails)

What do you mean by "sloppy trails"?

Syncros are, no question, impressive machines. But the 2WD's can be equally impressive.

Just-bought 2WD going through the obstacle course at Syncrofest I:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My own 2WD, an automatic, has been through mud, sand, over rocks, etc.:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And ^that was on underrated tires.

2WD's have their limitations, of course, but they are also very capable rigs in their own right.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Don't feel bad for us, I took the money from selling the syncro and bought a barn find 1980 911 SC.

Trust me, I don't feel bad for you at all! I would love an air cooled 911 (also a bucket list car for me) but I would have to raid my retirement fund to afford one so I doubt it'll ever happen.

To the OP, my 2WD has taken me to SOOOO many dispersed camping sites over the years. High clearance, off-road tires, and sound judgement can get you to a lot of places - and back. After I added the Peloquin differential, well, I got to the same places and had the added confidence to get to other places where I shouldn't have, nearly got stuck, covered in mud, all sorts of creaks and groans from the body/frame.

We even took our old Jetta to some pretty cool spots that were later signed "4WD Only". You oughta watch some episodes of Matt's Off Road Recovery sometime. Granted he has some cool modded rigs but it's worth noting how few times he even locks the hubs let alone uses 4WD.

I do hate driving my 2WD Westy in the winter and think it's really poorly suited for icy or snowpacked roads but that's why I have a Subaru as my daily driver.
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

I started on a T1 (splitty) and a Type 1 (beetle) and have owned and operated many front drive and various types of AWD vehicles. When I let the T1 go I replaced it with a T3 (Vanagon).

I learned how to drive in Vermont in the winter. In my opinion a rear drive, rear engine vehicle is very capable in low traction situations. With a locker, Limited Slip Differential or even a Torsen type differential they are even more so.

The first time I thought about getting a Syncro I was driving on glare ice on a Forest Service road. I had to limit the speed so as not to swap ends. One time I was driving to a trailhead on a Mine to Market road (Not maintained to Forest service standards). I had to back down and take another run at it to get through. I thought to myself that if this were a Syncro I wouldn't even have to think about it.

So I got a Syncro. A Syncro does not feel like a RWD T3. It is heavier. It is not as much of a joy to drive. The rear drive T3 is an exceptionally nimble vehicle. I enjoy driving the Syncro but I love driving the rear drive T3s.

Any T3 is now an antique. And so it requires money and effort. The Syncro is a least a factor of 4 times more. Then there is the un-obtainium factor. This applies to all T3s but more so to Syncros.

Also to be considered is if you can tolerate having a limited top speed. As the years passed I found myself driving the T3s less. If I need to get somewhere fast I take another vehicle. I now have a rear driver with a 1.8t. It still has a limited top speed but the driveability is so much better.

My advice is to start with a rear driver. And that is if you really can deal with the limitations of an obsolete vehicle. The reason I let the splitty go is that it was unsafe to drive in modern traffic. The brakes and visibilty of a T3 are still OK today but the limited acceleration can be a problem. Very few people actually NEED a Syncro. Invest in your skill set. Treat yourself to driving schools. Maybe get a special differential. I got my Syncro when I was climbing a lot. I had a legitimate need for it then. It is paid for now and I still value it's ability. But I cant drive it in the winter now because Washington State now uses De-icer (SALT). So I have to take a less collectible vehicle in the winter.
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

Here's a interesting Syncro Westy camper. Just got listed. Has a lot of pluses. Should go for plenty of coin. Up in BC though. Smog cert can be a real pain depending where you live. If not your choices are a wider. What's your budget??

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-47/
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

We bought our Syncro as a tin top in 2008 from the original owner who cared for the vehicle very well, keeping it garaged when not in use. The first step for us was to convert the van to a Westfalia with all the parts from a scrap donor van. The transmission was rebuilt and upgraded at the time we installed the Subaru SVX engine in 2012 and the upgrade included re-gearing 3rd and 4th gears (and oiling plates, etc) to suit the higher power and keep highway revs reasonable.

We have mostly babied this rig when driving off-road. We don't do jerky starts or anything that shock-loads the transaxle. With the front and rear lockers, crawling in "G" gear works well when traction is low. On the highway, we initially drove fast (sometimes 80 mph for many miles) on the freeways to get to our destinations. It is not hard to ruin a Syncro gearbox, but so far, we have had good luck.

When we go camping, (especially when I go alone), it is about 50% of the time to a location accessed by crazy logging roads, and sometimes de-activated logging roads. I like this kind of travel and adventure, so a Syncro is right for me.

If you always travel in groups, though, then you can expect some assistance from others in your group if you get stuck, and in that case, a high-clearance 2WD Vanagon can do some impressive things - - right up until it can't - - which is where your friends in your group can assist. For our needs and wants, the Syncro option was, and remains, necessary.

This rig had a factory-installed rear diff lock, which I highly recommend. I added a front diff lock and a de-coupler. The front diff lock is very rarely needed, but adds a lot of capability when going places that no Vanagon should really go. Embarassed

If you don't do your own maintance and repairs, then a Syncro is not likely for you. I would not trust most technicians who don't specialize in these vehicles (Vanagons and the Syncro variety) to do proper repairs to such a Unicorn. It's also necessary when you go off the beaten path as far as I like to go, to be able to do DIY field repairs.

Hope you find what works for your needs!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro or 2WD Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Vanamax wrote:

They don’t share, and they compete for attention.

'90 Westy EJ25, NEW oil rings (!) 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: