Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

Can you look for a small rust hole in the oil filler .
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

Those low profile air cleaners do not give space for the fuel fog above the carb at certain rpms. It can wet the filter element, and even draw oil in from the breather to saturate it, and then it leaks down. Do you have a stock air cleaner you can try substituting? The internal tube acts to hold the fog, and of course it doesn't mind getting oil in its fibers.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

I do have a stock oil cleaner, but it's currently not usable because the breather hose opening on the right hand side has been pinched shut. There is a "Volkstoberfest" in Indy on 9 Oct that includes a parts swap, so I'll see if I can't score one when I'm down there. Several threads have recommended using the stock cleaner, and I think it will even help out with my crankshaft pulley leakage, so I'm planning to make that move.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

One more update to this thread after getting to know the motor for about 12,000 miles, and after attending several VW shows and speaking with old-timer mechanics possessing enjoyable esoteric knowledge about air-cooled engines.

First, there is likely something going on internally with the old 40-horse that is contributing to the oil seepage past the crankshaft pulley. I have noticed an omni-present ticking in the motor, even after adjusting the valves, and it is coming from inside the case (confirmed by listening on one side, then the other, then underneath, and then with the needle-stethoscope thingy). A couple of the aforementioned VW savants believe I might have too much crankshaft end play, which matches the ticking noise, the oil leakage, and the overall condition of the motor when I bought it from a Formula-Vee racer. Short of a rebuild, it is what it is; nothing I can do until it starts to bleed to death on some future grey day.

Second, I've got the engine to a daily driver condition where the leaks don't trouble me much. Stock air cleaner on top, slightly thicker oil (Royal Purple 15W-40 with zinc), keeping the level to between min-and-max markings, limiting my speed to 60 mph, and watching the throttle on hot days all adds up to a driveable bug. If I had it to do over again I would probably paint the engine black, rather than red, because all those little heat-shedding tricks add up. Red looks great, but for a daily driver I would have selected the plain-but-functional black paint job.

So, that's the cherry on top for this thread, based on all I've learned. Another hat tip to thesamba.com feedback providers, and I hope this helps you future readers.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

If the endplay can be cured by re-shimming the flywheel, you don't need an engine rebuild.
If the bearing itself is loose in the case, then yes, case machining is needed.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

pdb27 wrote:
One more update to this thread after getting to know the motor for about 12,000 miles,

Thanks for the update. It's great to find out how things turned out.

pdb27 wrote:
I bought it from a Formula-Vee racer.

Whoa!! If it was one of his race engines all sorts of things could be going on inside it.
This was 50 years ago, so rules may have changed. The rule was you had to use stock pistons in an FV. Some (maybe most?) guys would hone the crap out of the cylinders to get a handful of extra ccs of displacement. They had to knurl the piston skirts to keep them from rocking around in the cylinders. This left the top of the piston and the rings fitting very loosely in the cylinder. They didn't worry too much about the extra leakage past the rings that this caused.
What this can add up to is a lot of blowby past the rings, which would cause pressure in the crankcase, which would cause all manner of oil leaks.
You might find some interesting things inside that engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak in back of 40 hp motor Reply with quote

Quote:
Whoa!! If it was one of his race engines all sorts of things could be going on inside it.

True statement. As of today the rings, pistons, cylinders, valves, and springs in the motor are from a big bore kit I installed after less than 2k miles, which have sealed up nicely over the last 10k miles, so blowby isn't currently an issue. However, I can only speak about the stuff I replaced. Before 2k miles the motor had two valve springs snap and two rocker spring washers break into pieces, which upon inspection all had a lot of pitting to act as stress concentrators. Pitting is caused by rust, which itself is caused by water and time, so my imagination paints a plausible picture: guy sells motors to fund a racing habit, guy has a garage with lots of parts accumulated over the years, guy cobbles together what he's got and sends it out the door. It's easy for me to believe that there are worn and hard-run parts inside my motor.

@KTPhil - Thanks for the tip. I didn't know this and will read up about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: