Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Nock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: 84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine Reply with quote

Suddenly my 84 vanagon slider will only opens part way using outside handle. (The inside handle works!). When the outside handle is pulled down, the back of the door releases -and pops out a couple inches - but the door sticks on the forward latch. You cannot tug the door free. The inside latch does not release it either. The door is stuck with rear of the door is loose yet the front hung up.

Does anyone have any hints on what to look for?

The fix is to push the back of the door in hard. This causes it the door to fully relatch.

At this point, the inside handle will open it just fine.

I have lubed it, and adjusted the cable to the rear. Nothing changes. The handle is new-and still unbroken. I even removed and cleaned the rear hinge. No change. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine Reply with quote

The door cable has stretched so far as to not fully release it — and/or, despite being a new outer handle, the square peg holding the outer handle on has rounded just enough that the handle rotates too far before starting to rotate the peg.

I managed to tighten the rotation issue by JB Welding the peg back to square, then filing carefully until the handle barely slides on with a little oil.

Effectively, the cable stretches over time and becomes too long for the conduit (housing). Not sure what you meant on your adjustment, but the conduit needs to be as long as possible to accommodate the stretch, meaning, the nut is at the far-forward end of the conduit.

We’ve been through three cables over 20 months to get both the cable and conduit lengths dead on. The stock cable itself as sold by CC Cables is too long, as he’d measured them by someone supplying a stretched cable. A half-inch in the wrong direction changes everything.

My first, adjusted-length cable was *very close* — but not perfect. I bought another one with new measurements and it is *absolutely perfect* now, showing maximum adjustment threads now to adjust the conduit longer as the cable stretches.

I’ve written a thread about this but haven’t posted it. Understandably, Baird at CC is hesitant to change his standards based on a single user’s input (me), thinking mine’s a “custom fit” that may not apply to all, which I understand — but I’m as positive as I can be that there’s not variance between different early doors.

But Baird is a fine guy and I partly went this far as a service to the community, paying for all three as I got the lengths right.

If you tell him you want the “E1 measurements,” your problem will be solved.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew Nock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
The door cable has stretched so far as to not fully release it — and/or, despite being a new outer handle, the square peg holding the outer handle on has rounded just enough that the handle rotates too far before starting to rotate the peg.

Effectively, the cable becomes too long for the conduit (housing). Not sure what you meant on your adjustment, but the conduit needs to be as long as possible, meaning, the nut is at the far-forward end of the conduit.

We’ve been through three cables over 20 months to get both the cable and conduit lengths dead on. The stock cable itself as sold by CC Cables is too long, as he’d made them by someone supplying a stretched cable. A half-inch in the wrong direction changes everything.

My first, adjusted-length cable was *very close* — but not perfect. I bought another one with new measurements and it is absolutely perfect, showing maximum adjustment threads now to adjust the conduit longer as the cable stretches.

I’ve written a thread about this but haven’t posted it. Understandably, Baird at CC is hesitant to change his standards based on a single user’s input (me), thinking mine’s a “custom fit” that may not apply to all, which I understand — but I’m as positive as I can be that there’s not variance between different early doors.

If you tell him you want the “E1 measurements,” your problem will be solved.

Thanks so much for the input.

By 'adjustments' what I did was screw the cable adjustment nut 'all the way in' and then 'all the way out' - to see if that would fix it. It did not fix it - but I will try the adjusting the cable again.

I will also look more closely at my handle.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine Reply with quote

You’re welcome, happy to help.

I did the very same, extreme adjustments in figuring it out. For such a simple thing, it took some thought.

When our stock cable finally broke from forcing it to open (and scratching the body at the recess), we removed the panel and had to open the door with the rear assembly itself.

The only way we got our stretched cable to temporarily work was I made a “crown” of a circular bundle of safety wire to lengthen the conduit by about 1/4”. It actually worked but put some stress on the bracket while we awaited the second cable.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew Nock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 vanagon slider opens part way from outside... but inside fine Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
You’re welcome, happy to help.

I did the very same, extreme adjustments in figuring it out. For such a simple thing, it took some thought.

When our stock cable finally broke from forcing it to open (and scratching the body at the recess), we removed the panel and had to open the door with the rear assembly itself.

The only way we got our stretched cable to temporarily work was I made a “crown” of a circular bundle of safety wire to lengthen the conduit by about 1/4”. It actually worked but put some stress on the bracket while we awaited the second cable.

No adjustments make a difference. Nor is the handle the issue.

I think my problem is with the "sliding thumb" that projects (forward)/retracts(backward) on top of the forward up/down spring loaded latch (it projects forward when the door is closed to lock the spring loaded latch down). The thumb correctly retracts with the inside handle - allowing the front latch to release. However with the outside handle, the thumb does not move - thus the front does not unlock.

I learned this by removing the front latch's female receptacle from the door jam. The door opens and closes fine with this removed and you can observe the thumb. After opening with the inside handle I saw the thumb was retracted (ie unlocked). After opening with the outside handle, I could see the thumb was still forward (ie locked)

So now I am looking for how that thumb is controlled!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: