Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 in Kill Bill and other media
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

A few 356 A appear in the YouTube video coverage of the 1965 Shell 4000 Rallye in Canada, aka "Trans-Canada Rally". The route was 4044 miles long from Vancouver, British Columbia east to Montreal, Quebec.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fantastic shot of a Coupe in the Canadian Rockies.

Composite shot of a maintenance stop.

Wilderness dirt roads.

356 Cabrio with silver hardtop-

Both red 356 at the start of a special stage-

Silver 356 Coupe at a maintenance check, then crossing a small creek on a dirt road.

Unfortunately none of these three 356 placed in the top 10; the overall winner was a Volvo 122 driven by the team Klaus Ross (driver) and John Bird (navigator).

Last edited by Rome on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Roland, Nice photos! As a correction all 356s shown are A cars. One easy way to tell is that no B or C cars have bumper over rider tubes, only A cars. Interesting to note that the 2 tone car is actually a cabriolet with a silver removable hardtop.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Ah yes, "A"s- B's have higher bumpers also. A regretful beginner mistake, despite knowing the differences since the mid-'70's Embarassed . Thanks, Seb. I did not have access to an entrant list to see if any had their exact designations. I just went back to edit my post above to minimize the errors, as well as my gallery entries.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Ah yes, "A"s- B's have higher bumpers also. A regretful beginner mistake, despite knowing the differences since the mid-'70's Embarassed . Thanks, Seb. I did not have access to an entrant list to see if any had their exact designations. I just went back to edit my post above to minimize the errors, as well as my gallery entries.

Oh man, understood and no worries. It gets really tricky trying to ID an A vs a "Pre-A" and then a "Pre-A" vs a Gmund built car. Just like our VWs there are little nuances in each model but when standing back 50 feet they are nearly imperceptible.

On another note I was in your part of the country this weekend at the Carlisle Swap meet (used to be the Hershey swap meet and Ski Roundtop before that). Were you there by chance?

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

No. I was planning on attending a VW meet not that far away from Carlisle at the Mt Hope Winery just north of Manheim, PA on Saturday; but I overslept and skipped it.

It's been about 25 yrs since I attended the Porsche swap meet at Hershey; remember finding a very good deal on some good used 5.5" Fuchs alloys- intended for my '64 Ghia Coupe.

Did you find any suitable parts for your own cars or business?
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
No. I was planning on attending a VW meet not that far away from Carlisle at the Mt Hope Winery just north of Manheim, PA on Saturday; but I overslept and skipped it.

It's been about 25 yrs since I attended the Porsche swap meet at Hershey; remember finding a very good deal on some good used 5.5" Fuchs alloys- intended for my '64 Ghia Coupe.

Did you find any suitable parts for your own cars or business?

I did, I found a smugglers box cover for a customer's '84 911 and I found a lot of little knick knacks to fill my man cave shelves. I always keep my eye out for various parts for my cars that may be better than what's on them now. I found a couple of good black coils, one of them being a shorty that will be correct on one of my VWs.

Another nice find was 6 different plate frames from the 60s with both the VW and Porsche logo on them. They were in a milk crate on the ground in front of a guys table and I got them *quite reasonably* LOL.

Let me know about the VW show next year because I get to Carlisle super early and have pretty much seen everything by 9am and could run up to the show afterwards.

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Movie "Operation Atlantis" (1965). Filmed in Spain and Italy.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 356 in Kill Bill and other media Reply with quote

Grey Porsche 356 C Cabrio in background, YouTube documentary "The Cortina at Sebring 1964 Proof Test". British-built Ford Cortina sedan factory fitted with a Lotus 4-cylinder dual-overhead cam engine and entered it for the Sebring, Florida endurance race. The flipped-over race car in foreground was an Austin-Healey roadster driven by the Irishman Paddy Hopkirk. He survived OK.

From the same video, a red Porsche 356 B Cabrio coming down the infield access ramp at the Sebring former airport raceway.

Silver Porsche 356 B Coupe parked in background, late 1970's TV show "The Bionic Woman". I did not record the episode, but possibly "Motorcycle Boogie" which is set in West and East Germany. It's an often seen "European Town" area of the California studio set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: