Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

I have these little round covers over a series of holes where the rear body cross members and rear luggage area meet under the rear seat. These little round covers look original like they were glued in place at the factory.

Has anyone seen these before? They look like they may have been made out of the same vinyl used at the bottom of the front door panels on a deluxe split Beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wagen19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
I have these little round covers over a series of holes where the rear body cross members and rear luggage area meet under the rear seat. These little round covers look original like they were glued in place at the factory.

Has anyone seen these before? They look like they may have been made out of the same vinyl used at the bottom of the front door panels on a deluxe split Beetle.

Some of my cars have them too. I guess, thes are factory holes to allow primer to drip out, when the bodies came out of the primer bath.
Böm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

covers

Installation of these covers are described in this Karmann drawing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dominator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

Used this info to close up the same holes in my 54 Oval.
Never knew why these holes were there, never too old to learn Very Happy Very Happy

1988 T3 doka synco 2.1WBX
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and insight - this is so cool to learn. 30+ years into VWs, and 24+ years owning my 50 split, I'm always learning. Though no one will ever see, I'm going to cut out new ones and glue them into place just like they were at the factory!
Böm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

Instruction says: the smooth side of the imitation leather shall be glued to the floor.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Böm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

Instruction says: the smooth side of the imitation leather shall be glued to the floor.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Under rear seat holes - tiny covers glued in place? Factory? Reply with quote

Thanks for the translation!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: