Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

I do think there has been a shift away from websites to social media platforms ( 1st wave versus 2nd wave). The next evolution will be some sort of crypto-currency platform that seamlessly combines information,social media, and exchange. And yes everyone is staring blankly into their phones. I was at the London airport last year with about 3000 people in the waiting area at Heathrow, I was the ONLY person not staring into the abyss.

Bus prices will hold steady at the very least as they transition from transportation to art.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

kintail wrote:
but the '67 Westfalia is now in it's new home in Germany. Another future scenario....

Is that the scenario where they can no longer resist nature's call and all return home?

So long and thanks for all the fish? Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Guess how much $25000 in 1984 dollars invested in a no load Vanguard SP500 index fund Is worth today? Reinvest dividends and you might be shocked

Investing in busses for financial reasons is a horrible decision.

Buying one because you want one, best decision ever.

Just FYI, the answer is $857,142.50 - that'd buy 4 buses today at Barrett Jackson - those rich folks ain't fools....

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
VintageDreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

WOW! And just like that, 20 years have gone by since we were making predictions on where the Bus Scene was headed. It doesn't seem like that long ago. I for one am glad I still own buses and grateful for the people I have met along the way. Here's to another 20 years behind that big ol' steering wheel.
57 PG SG Standard
66 Slider Standard
62 KG Convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Really interesting reading all those comments from 2004 about where buses and bus prices were going. None of them got it exactly right. People even mentioned the "new" bus that VW was going to release - 20 years later and you still can't buy them yet in Canada. Crazy stuff ....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Back to the original topic...

Once the darling of the Barrett-Jackson crowd, 21/23 window splitties are no longer climbing in value. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but the shine in the general public's eye is fading. Yesterday's news.

Among VW people, I see two trends, both fed by stratospheric 21/23 pricing:
1) Bays are commanding good prices, and will continue to rise. Easier entry (financially) and they still have the "cute/vintage" factor. And there are more to choose from, since they haven't been picked as clean.
2) Panel vans. So from "lots of windows" to "minimum windows"! Commercial vans, especially with company logos on them, are all the rage. It gives some respectability to "patina" buses that in many cases are just lazy owners or those that figured the investment in shiny doesn't pay back.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageDreamz wrote:
So it's been 10 years, club participation is on the rise, Pomona isn't what it used to be, while some other shows have taken a foothold ( Spring Picnic at Featherly Park was awesome ). Let's see how some of our Nostradambuses faired. Below are some of the more notable predictions I observed. What will the next 10 years bring?

Lind
I think that previously unknown buses will dry up. as long as the interest in buses is high like it is now, people will keep dragging them out of fields, yards and garages. they will never fully dry up, but there is a finite number of them out there, and I think that ten years from now we won't see a lot many unknown buses coming out, maybe 10% of what we are seeing now. those buses that come out of fields and yards will be that much more weathered up and rusty.

Buciobatisti
Bobby B (the BDM Hitman) has a theory that we've only seen the beginning of where the whole Bus market is going. He recently came up with a theory that they might not be too different from Woodies in the California Surf Scene. They were affordable new, nearly worthless beater "Jallopies" in the late 1950's through the 1970's, gained some value a little later, and have been on a steady and steep climb upward with the big dollar American cars around today. Absolutely hideous projects are super expensive and nicely done cars, depending upon rarity, options, custom features, etc. can run anywhere from 30-100K and even higher on some of the out of control radical stuff. A long way from the true junk that they were viewed as just decades earlier.
I see some definite similarities in the life cycle of Buses and don't doubt that that could be the path we will witness.

Skim
We were laughing at my hunk of shit BD 23 discussing how it was the donor bus to fix somebody elses BD 23. Now here I am 10 years later trying to restore this previous parts bus. 10 years from now I still see the hardcores in it for the long run and the love of the hobby.

Coad
The future? Bay Windows. A few folks will do interesting restorations of early bays, people will look around and realize that the supply of nice bays is dropping fast.

Stevie Fierce
the splits will be absurdly hard to find and ridiculously expensive. maybe not 10 years away but 20, definitely.
i agree the bay windows will come of age as well.

Wharfrat
hopefully in ten years someone will have come up with a way to convert vw engines into gas/electric hybrids without having to make any major modifications to the vehicles, while still allowing them to retain a stock appearance. someone will buy old vw tooling from brazil or mexico and start reproducing really good repro parts

Stanagon
I don't know if prices will go stratospheric like the muscle cars have, but anything is possible at some of these high-end auctions. I really like the appreciation this crowd (Samba) has for original paint buses. This can only be good and should help to preserve more originals with time, rather than the focus always being on restorations.

Dink
Hopefully by then the Bay will have appreciated to the point where the $6000 I have in it won't seem so foolish.

Ferry
someone told me 11 years ago that i payed 14000 euro for a project car ..i wont believe him, i think your market is going the same way

Stevie Fierce
in 10 years.........this thread will still be going on!

A nice retrospective from ten years ago.

I have to say I was at least partially wrong, buses just keep coming out of the woodwork. Especially the buses that most interest me, special model, special order, unusual options, etc. SOme buses coming out of the woodwork now were on the road 20 years ago when this topic started. Others have been off the road for so long that they finally changed hands after the person who would never sell them, never did sell them, but ceased to own them anyway by dying.

Personally, my collection has mostly changed from 20 years ago, I only have one car that I owned in 2004. I have been continually upgrading and refining my collection the whole time. I hardly dreamed back then that I would own the cars that I have now. more importantly, I have met many more good people since then in addition to the good people I knew then. I have had many many great adventures with these cars and look forward to many more.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

One thing that’s changed is you go to most VW shows in So Cal and there are more buses than anything else other than Beetles.
Age demographic has changed, everyone with a bus seems to be getting long in the tooth. I seldom see anyone under 30 with a bus.
Hardly anyone daily drives them anymore. It’s an occasion when I even see a bay on the road let alone a split. But to be fair that’s even true with Beetles now days. Doesn’t bode well for the future. If the younger set never sees them how are they going to get infected with the air cooled disease?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Age demographic has changed, everyone with a bus seems to be getting long in the tooth. I seldom see anyone under 30 with a bus.

It seems like the majority of people I know who own a bus got into VWs when they bought it as their first car in high school 30+ years ago when you could buy them for $500. Now that the entry price is so high, I think I know maybe 3 persons with a bus under 30 and all of them grew up in the scene with Dad's with buses, and have little to no bills (disposable income due to not having a family or mortgage/ rent).

Braukuche wrote:

If the younger set never sees them how are they going to get infected with the air cooled disease?

If the entry barrier is so high, and the young generation aren't getting into the hobby, what will happen in the next 10-20 years when a lot of the collectors die off and flood the market with their collection?

Only time will tell.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:

If the entry barrier is so high, and the young generation aren't getting into the hobby, what will happen in the next 10-20 years when a lot of the collectors die off and flood the market with their collection?

Only time will tell.

Same thing happened to brass cars of the early 20th century. That market has completely collapsed since they all died off and nobody wants them anymore. The fact they don't really keep up with modern traffic (unlike a bus) has made it even worse for the market.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

"the Bus Scene" 2024
I've driven them since 1976, love them.
As far as the "scene", I do not care even a little as long as I can drive it / mine.
The "club" scene is fun once and a while, but has changed a lot. Too many guys judging the Buses or Bugs to their acceptance who never drove one back in the 70's when it was just "the way". I was never a "Hippie" and I hate that reference. Hippies started in Germany, not in So cal, or filthy Frisco. I used to load-up the Bus and go to a Petty-Stixx-Trower-Zep concert only because we had the room and $10 for gas. Never worried about some tweaker stealing it. We would load up 5 or 6 surf boards and spend the weekend at the beach where we could actually park w/o being harassed! The wealthy will always buy the bondo coated "mint" Bus for big dollars, but I like to see the side ripples from the factory-as it was born. The stories we created back then are gone, but the feel of the Bus is still there and I love it. Could careless what they are worth, or not, make it your own, just DON'T put batteries into our babies! That is just blasphemy, and So Not Green, and should be a Life sentence. I'm currently building a Gender Neutral Bus Brick wall
rudygetz
Guaperia Ful Tine

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
face it guys,nice things cost money. The days of picking up a 59 double cab for $200 are long gone.In ten years,nobody that makes $50k or less a year may not be able to afford them. Keep hunting,they are still out there.It is nobody's fault for the high prices,maybe gives individuals delusional dreams when they see other examples posted with the high dollars.

The prophet.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

The aircooled VWs have a lot of young fans. They don't know what they're looking at, but they love them. Make it a point to drive your bus more often and plant more seeds.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
The aircooled VWs have a lot of young fans. They don't know what they're looking at, but they love them. Make it a point to drive your bus more often and plant more seeds.

You mean, seeds for the money tree they will need?

Laughing
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

It’s hard to distinguish between the crowd at a Jimmy Buffett concert and a crowd at the local aircooled show

Some of the prices on the first page bus classifieds are pretty interesting.

Hopefully this brings out the tsunami of young gearheads in the scene I keep hearing about
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
It’s hard to distinguish between the crowd at a Jimmy Buffett concert and a crowd at the local aircooled show

Some of the prices on the first page bus classifieds are pretty interesting.

Hopefully this brings out the tsunami of young gearheads in the scene I keep hearing about

From what I see our society isn’t breeding gear heads anymore. But if you buy and old VW you better learn to become one or have deep pockets and live in the right area or you are SOL.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

I have been into the "VW scene" since 1976 or 77. I didnt get a bus until maybe 1988, it was so much fun back then, you could go to a swap meet and get most of the stuff you needed to get a bus running and looking good for decent prices. Today is a different story prices are really very high on early bus parts, and buses themselves. Anyway it is a different game today no one usually builds their own bus and cant keep it running without taking it to someone else for repairs, I have met many people over the years that I still see at shows and can call friends. It has been a fun ride. This is a shot of the last bus I owned, I dont think I could bring myself to pay the price of one in todays market, I will probably go back and look for a 60s bug. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Back to the original topic...

Once the darling of the Barrett-Jackson crowd, 21/23 window splitties are no longer climbing in value. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but the shine in the general public's eye is fading. Yesterday's news.

Among VW people, I see two trends, both fed by stratospheric 21/23 pricing:
1) Bays are commanding good prices, and will continue to rise. Easier entry (financially) and they still have the "cute/vintage" factor. And there are more to choose from, since they haven't been picked as clean.
2) Panel vans. So from "lots of windows" to "minimum windows"! Commercial vans, especially with company logos on them, are all the rage. It gives some respectability to "patina" buses that in many cases are just lazy owners or those that figured the investment in shiny doesn't pay back.

I don't agree with your #2 - they continue to be bottom feeder buses. Not sure where you are seeing that they are all the rage or getting big $$$ for them. Sure we know there were a few on BAT with a big Porsche logo that went higher than they probably should have, but those are outliers
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you see the Bus Scene heading in the next 10 years? Reply with quote

Because the old bus is so iconic, I run into a lot of young people who wax poetic about wanting to buy an old bus and wander carefree across the country. I tell the parents you better have them spend some time behind the wheel first, because the truth is it's like driving a small Mack truck that's a lightweight box with a tiny engine in back, and nothing like driving a Prius. I shatter their dreams as I putter away!

Also, what has cooled the 21- and 23-bus market has been the influx of Brazilian conversions. The hardcores still want the German buses, but the general collector is content with the Brazilian knock-offs, which oftentimes fetch more money because they are more attractively painted and detailed!

I'm also with KT on panel vans. I'm biased, but people dig them, and they're different from the usual bus, mostly because each one has a unique history, and so many were used in different businesses. Plus, with the chicken war and just plain being used up, there are not many decent ones left.

What I see getting hot in the next 10 years is not buses, but stock Beetles from 1961 to 1970. Joke about fat chicks all you want, but you'll wish you had stashed a few away.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: