Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring semaphores
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MALCOLM THOMPSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Hi Can some one help me please. i have swf smooth semaphores which wont return down after turning off. It will park down with a bit of manual persuasion. I have bought a replacement spring set from Kaefer nostalgia? but despite requests they wont send any instructions as to replacing these springs. The main culprit must be the return spring which is missing so i have no idea where it goes.
many thanks .
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

PM sent.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

I had Matthew Ross restore the semaphore for my '55. The work was excellent and they work perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

What semaphore part number is correct for my November '54 Bug? SWF or SHO? VW logo? Smooth or ribbed? Thanks very much!
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Smooth, SWF or SHO are both correct. Dark orange lenses.

Matt
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Go here for more detail;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Matts Bug Parts wrote:
Go here for more detail;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php

Thanks very much!
vw_costa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Hi. My 59 beetle has a 12V system and I am using a stepdown reducer to deliver 6V to the semaphores (6V output adjusted using a multimeter). But, even with the 6V feed, the semaphores are heating, something like 60 tto 70ºC. Is It OK or i am in troubles? Thanks
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Get a 6V battery and connect it to your semaphore. Then run it and measure the temperature every 30 seconds. Let it run as long as you want.
Now hook it up in your 12V cct in the car and repeat the test. If the temps are the same at the same time interval, you're good.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

scarroll wrote:
What semaphore part number is correct for my November '54 Bug? SWF or SHO?

Beetles got SWF semaphores, Buses got SHO.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Do your best. Be honest. Be fair to yourself. Don’t let the bastards grind you down!

Perfect.

Your blood's worth bottling Jimmy!
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

And what information is that based on?

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

(From EverettB's gallery)
Semaphores from my '54 Barndoor Single Cab
I'm pretty sure these are the originals.
SWF. Part # AL 143.001.1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Suboval wrote:
Bruce wrote:

And what information is that based on?

Heard a guy at a show say that in the late 80s. Then ever since, every original Beetle semaphore I've seen was SWF and every Bus was SHO.
Date codes can be used to determine later replacements.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
SWF. Part # AL 143.001.1

Date code of the semaphore?
Month of manufacture of the SC?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
SWF. Part # AL 143.001.1

Date code of the semaphore?
Month of manufacture of the SC?

Unknown on the semaphore date code and I no longer own it so I cannot check.

The Single Cab was from: March, 1954
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

A bus guy like you Everett should have an opinion on this. Do you see mostly SHO semaphores in Type 2s?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
A bus guy like you Everett should have an opinion on this. Do you see mostly SHO semaphores in Type 2s?

I honestly haven't paid attention but I was not aware they were split up SWF vs. SHO on Beetle vs. Bus like that
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm a newly when it comes to semaphores. My right hand side one comes out only a bit and doesn't spring or jump up like the left side one. I have a '56 Oval.

Could it be the semaphore spring isn't strong enough anymore, or something else that is failing? It does release, but not enough. Opens quarter to half way. It sometimes opens all the way, but VERY seldom!

Now, I'm wondering if it could be the semaphore spring? (looks like a normal round spring when I look on websites like the one I've attached) and if it is indeed this spring , how does one find this spring on the semaphore to replace it? How difficult is this?

I also see new 6v semaphores for sale on a few sites. And as I've read some are of bad quality, I don't want to simply spend so much on a new one, when perhaps it could be a simple spring replacement on my original one.

Also, the new semaphores one buys online, come with a black cover plate over the lens. Mine is the painted the same color as the car, do I somehow swap out my painted one and remove the new black one, or do I have to spray paint the new one, even though I have a perfect one already painted?

Looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Best,
Alex
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring semaphores Reply with quote

The springs in semaphores have nothing to do with how well it pops open. The spring in your pic is part of the mechanism that holds the semaphore in the down position when it is not powered on. You may have noticed that when you turn right quickly, the left semaphore doesn't swing out.

Virtually all weak semaphores are due to voltage drops in the cct. You have to verify every connection from the positive of the battery to the negative of the battery. Use your volt meter to measure the voltage at the bottom terminal of the semaphore. Compare readings on both sides. The weaker side will have a lower voltage there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: