Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 Air Line Connector - Idle Speed Boost Valves
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTIII86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: 1.9 Air Line Connector - Idle Speed Boost Valves Reply with quote

Chasing down a high idle issue and found the rogue air line below, going to the idle speed boost valves. Makes sense to my limited brain that if these aren't functioning properly, the engine may want to to "boost" the idle speed to compensate for the additional load of PS and AC, thinking they're engaged.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm looking for the connector/fitting that connects the air line to the Y hose shown in the Bentley pic below - anyone have a PN or know where I might find? Thanks!!

'85 Wolfsburg Westy
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Air Line Connector - Idle Speed Boost Valves Reply with quote

It's just vacuum - I think I'd be loitering in the Ace Hardware aisle with assorted nylon tubing connectors.
GTIII86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Air Line Connector - Idle Speed Boost Valves Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
It's just vacuum - I think I'd be loitering in the Ace Hardware aisle with assorted nylon tubing connectors.

DUH! Thanks Ahwahnee - found a close to perfect match. Even better it DID solve my high idle (for now).

Thanks!!

'85 Wolfsburg Westy
Spreader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Air Line Connector - Idle Speed Boost Valves Reply with quote

Thanks for posting up images etc. of the issue. I changed my plugs/wires and found the exact same fitting broken. Here I am sitting on the same page of the Bentley too.

Do you remember any of the details of the reducer/adapter that you purchased? I'll post back here with info of what I find.

In case someone in another decade is wondering.

Edit: I bought a PEX straight reducer - 1/2"-3/8". The 3/8" into the Y-pipe is great, which makes me think that hose is a 5/16". The 1/2" end into the large 1/2" pipe that tees to the intake boot (supply) is loose. I ended up putting a gear clamp on to hold it in place.

I'd like to fine a 90deg reduced so that there's no pressure on the Y-hose, as I figure these are no longer available.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: