Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

so unfortunately most of the pics in this thread are toast ...

Q1: to remove the blue circuit ribbon do you just as carefully as possible pry up from around the 6 silver clip things on the back as well as over the plastic pegs?
Then just mash them back down around clips?

Q2: is there a picture of tencents odo mod/fix - his pics are not available.

Most pics on all the internal and external threads are not linked anymore as my cluster is on the bench.

edit for the future; found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1g-9trusnk

doesn't mention it, but watching closely shows NOT to pull off the clips, but gently remove the circuit board on the other side (pop out the little pegs, slide toward the gauge), then there is a little board that stays attached to those clips. VERY IMPORTANT.

Thanks!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

So I never found the tencent fix so I came up w my own. Lil dab of in weld and a 90 deg bend on a short strip of basically paper clip. Should stop the slide out. With the force it took to get the shaft back in place I don’t think it would have come out for another 160k but I decided to put the stop on anyways.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Over the years I've tried various fixes to keep the gear on there works for a while. At this point the gear has a crack in it so the tension on the wire is not enough to keep it turning. I've considered 3D printing a gear but I'm wondering if the resolution will be smooth enough. This screams out for a fine water jet cut gear with good friction on the rotating wire. I'm not sure if a metal gear would be too strong for the other gear at rides on. But I'm really ready to not have to fix this yet again.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

The shaft needs to be knurled or glued into the numbers drive gear (aluminum gear, or plastic on white housing speedometers- mid 90's replacement part)

New plastic driven gear on the shaft can be bought online.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
The shaft needs to be knurled or glued into the numbers drive gear (aluminum gear, or plastic on white housing speedometers- mid 90's replacement part)

New plastic driven gear on the shaft can be bought online.

Might you have a link for that gear?

I did the knurled and glue but the crack negated that solutions.

To confirm it is the star gear on the shaft that is under the Allen wrench fix in this picture

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I "fixed" my cracked gear with super glue and dental floss wrapped around the hub (you can also use thread) but it only lasted for a couple of years.

You can purchase a replacement from: https://www.odometergears.com/products/Volkswagen/Mechanical+Speedometer/19

Be sure to count the number of teeth and measure the diameter to confirm which gear you need before ordering.

Last edited by wbailey2112 on Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
I "fixed" my cracked gear with super glue and dental floss wrapped around the hub (you can also use thread) but it only lasted for a couple of years.

You can purchase a replacement from: https://www.odometergears.com/products/Volkswagen/Mechanical+Speedometer/19

Be sure to count the number of teeth and measure the diameter to confrim which gear you need before ordering.

THAT's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing!

Alika, is that what you used or might you have more info?

GadsdenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Over the years I've tried various fixes to keep the gear on there works for a while. At this point the gear has a crack in it so the tension on the wire is not enough to keep it turning. I've considered 3D printing a gear but I'm wondering if the resolution will be smooth enough. This screams out for a fine water jet cut gear with good friction on the rotating wire. I'm not sure if a metal gear would be too strong for the other gear at rides on. But I'm really ready to not have to fix this yet again.

you can 3d print these days to a micron resolution with at home printers.
I just printed a fix that holds the shaft in place. there are few fixes out there including a new gear. check out thangs.com and search Vanagon T3 odometer
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

You could get one of these bad boys then never have to worry about repairing your old odometer again.

GadsdenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Fill me in on the details!

vanagondan wrote:
You could get one of these bad boys then never have to worry about repairing your old odometer again.
[img]https://www.thesamba. com/vw/gallery/pix/2507001.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba .com/vw/gallery/pix/2507003.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba .com/vw/gallery/pix/2507002.jpg[/img]
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

GadsdenVW wrote:
Fill me in on the details!

vanagondan wrote:
[img]https://www.thesamba. com/vw/gallery/pix/2507001.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba .com/vw/gallery/pix/2507003.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba .com/vw/gallery/pix/2507002.jpg[/img]

Here's a link my man.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon-gauge-cluster-upgrade-the-crooked-cluster/
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Is it possible to exchange the Voltage for something more useful like trans temp?

Brandon
"Jo Ann" - '83.5 Westfalia EJ22e w/Peloquin
Instagram @joannthevan
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
wbailey2112 wrote:

Be sure to count the number of teeth and measure the diameter to confrim which gear you need before ordering.

THAT's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing!

Alika, is that what you used or might you have more info?

Sorry for the delay, yes that's the source!

I fixed mine 20 years ago with a copper strand from n electric wire to tie the gear after glueing it, still good to this day. I'll gladly buy a new gear now , no need to fnck around Cool Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

So my fix lasted 84 miles on pavement. 5.2 miles on logging roads. Does the bottom of the shaft where it hits the red worm drive look right? i didn't notice this the other day when i was in here but it looks like it's all melted?

thanks.

GadsdenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Is that some sort of grease?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I'm guessing grease buildup

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

either that or earwax. toss up, really. yes - it's some sort of grease - looked like it was melted to me on first look.

i've discoverd, though, the whole point of this fix IS the metal gear turning on the shaft. If the metal gear is tight on the shaft it's not sliding out the left side.

That's what i've discovered with it all apart. Got my miles rolled forward 5k and now attempting the philips head dimple approach.

got it dimpled, slide the shaft. banged the shaft through... nerve racking that.

Aaaaand my numbers are all 1/2 way spun through the window. this has happened 3x. i'm having a hard time to get them centered for some reason.

So frustrating. [/b]

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Wbailey!!!

In cases like this, I’ve try to work fixes that can be undone if at all possible or necessary.

Seems there two problems/failure points:
1. The shaft working side-to-side
2. The internal “grip” of the gear onto the shaft

One fix that worked for me was two-fold; first discovering that the gear needs to be really forced on with only two-thumb pressure until it “snaps” audibly; second, using a tight-fitting “splined and crowned” washer to keep the shaft and gear tightly in place.

Sorry, don’t know these washer’s name, but you’ll know it when you see it.

I worked the shaft as far outwards from the center of the numbers as I could get it (weak description, but…), pushed the washer as far in on the shaft as I could get it, and dropped a solder cap on it.

Worked a year or so, cap predictably finally worked off.

This time I’ll make a JB Weld cap on the washer, which can be removed (pried away with a needlenose) if needed later but should stay on.

Like computer techs like to say non-committally, “It *should* work.

If I can’t get the gear to snap into place like it should, I may slide it on over another dab of JB.

EDIT: If wondering if your fix worked or not, you can put a Phillips or something into the back where the cable mounts in and spin it. It will advance the gauge if the shaft is properly turning the gears.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GadsdenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

designer wrote:
either that or earwax. toss up, really. yes - it's some sort of grease - looked like it was melted to me on first look.

i've discoverd, though, the whole point of this fix IS the metal gear turning on the shaft. If the metal gear is tight on the shaft it's not sliding out the left side.

That's what i've discovered with it all apart. Got my miles rolled forward 5k and now attempting the philips head dimple approach.

got it dimpled, slide the shaft. banged the shaft through... nerve racking that.

Aaaaand my numbers are all 1/2 way spun through the window. this has happened 3x. i'm having a hard time to get them centered for some reason.

So frustrating. [/b]

I dimpled the rod and on attempt 3 I got it dimpled and then sanded enough I could tap it in with a small brass hammer. Super excited then turned it over and I rolled back the odometer by 100k!! I thought about setting up a drill and just letting it run for a while because I’m not getting that shaft back out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: