Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$105 '72 Bus with problems???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: $105 '72 Bus with problems??? Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a '72 Micro bus at a car auction for $105 last tuesday. It looks pretty nice, has dual carbs on the "Porschedub" 1700 engine, the interior is totaly custom and like new except for a little slit on the driver's seat. I tried to start it but I didn't have a good battery. A couple times when I tried to crank it over in gear with the clutch to the floor the bus lurched forward. Does that mean the clutch needs an adjustment or does the clutch need to be replaced? The shifter also felt really sloppy, I cant figure out where 1st and 3rd are ... 2nd and 4th, and reverse...these do come with reverse dont they?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the bid was $105 wasn't at all because of the condition, it's a very nice bus...the first bid was $25, some clown said $100 and I said $105...these people know my father and I and they let me have it. Otherwise it would have brought over $800-$1500. Example: A 1987 VW jetta next to my bus sold for $425 and the cylinder head was in the back seat!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I posted this just 20 minutes ago and I already have someone trying to buy it sight unseen for $500. NOOOO i'm not going to sell it yet (ask if i'll take $800!). Shocked Exclamation
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you $801. Very Happy It sounds like the clutch cable is way out of adjustment or broken. It's probably broken which is very common. Very simple fix and the cable only costs about $10-$15. I have installed them in less than 15 minutes in the rain on the side of the road. If you have any mechanical abilities at all then you can do this yourself, but it shouldn't cost more than $50 even if you have to pay somebody else. Climb under the bus and look just above the rear axle on the drivers side. There should be a lever near the top of the transmission with a cable attached to it. If the cable is loose then tighten the wingnut on the end of the cable. If the cable is broken then you need to pull it out of the tube and thread another cable into the tube, hook it to the lever, hook it to the clutch pedal at the front of the bus, and adjust it properly. Don't make it too tight or your clutch will slip and wear prematurely. This should solve the problem and get you on the road. Good luck.
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said there's supposed to be a cable there but I dont see one. No problemo I'll just used speaker wire to hook it all together
llamas1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were no clutch cable your pedal would be on the floor. Nothing to push.
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know I was just kidding
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you won't sell it, will you at least put up a picture somewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: grethi...If you won't sell it, will you at least put up a picture somewhere?.... I'll sell it for..uhmmm lemme see...$850(?) to someone in my area. It runs good and shifts but someone took a few nuts and bolts off the engine tin, exaust and the rear bumper (it rattles). I would put a picture on here but I dont have a digital camera. I do have a scanner but I'ld have to take pics of it and then develop them.
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, now!
Mine runs and shifts, it just needs a transmission overhaul. Besides, I just want to focus on my squareback right now.
Tell me, have you seen my bus in person?have you actually observed it's condition, bumper to bumper? Some of those pics clearly predate it's most recent overhaul. I just don't have the money to do the serious repairs on it now. It's always been a local car (still has original license plate frame from Bremerton VW) and I just want to see it stay in Western WA. So?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOWEREDnJUICED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly stay around Renton. I see many Bay vans in this area, the majority look ratty.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: