Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Carb should I get??
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksthing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: What Carb should I get?? Reply with quote

Hey I just rebuilt the engine in my thing, and I want to replace the stock carb with something a little better, and I want to get rid of the oil bath air cleaner. any particular model recommended?? Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of motor, what cam did you use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Volksthing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a 1600, and I rebuilt using 87mm P&C's so no displacement should be around 1650. it still has the stock cam...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long debated issue. But it is difficult to improve on a 34 pict 4 carb with a stock oil bath cleaner. The old Porsche Zenith NDIX carb is becoming rarer and tough to find a good one. YOu could put on a single baby Dell 36 or a Weber.. You could get hold of AJ Sims and go with Kadrons. Here are some issues to consider. When you add carburation on a stock size motor you lose gas milage and gain power. You alos put the engine in a situation where the driver can hurt the motor. Also the stock oil bath system is very well designed. Old school would talk about Pinto carbs, Weber bug spray and the like. Now with a few folks making OG Solex carbs like new it has so many advantages. Thyeare worth considering seriously. Next in line are the Kadron and Weber choice. Next comes Dells and Zenith. I list the best carbs last because they are not available new and it takes work to get them dialed in and working correctly..... I spent over a year gettting a pair of Dells dialed in on my 1915 motor... Once set correctly they are very nice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of nicely dialed in dual Kadrons will offer much greater horsepower and torque with almost no difference in MPG. Little to no difference in long term lasting engines with much more punch. I am biased as I desire much more out of a stock powerplant.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the kadron recommendation. kadrons are a great way to "pep up" a nearly stock displacement engine, with little downside. Easy to tune, cheap to buy and rebuild, good gas mileage, and they can be hopped up if you decide to increase your engine displacement down the road.
The only downside is that they have no chokes, so cold starts on cold days will take a little throttle feathering to stay happy.

Add 1.4 ratio rockers, have the carbs ported for an SVDA dizzy, install a more open exhaust and your engine will really come alive.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Volksthing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=310285

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=306046

How are one of those??
or please make some suggestions.... Very Happy Smile Cool Thanks
LEJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what they were talking about.

The first set makes no mention of manifolds so be careful if you should choose to make this purchase.

I've used Kadrons in the past. Most of them require that the linkage adjustments be exact, in other words, both carbs must open exactly the same otherwise, one side is rich and the other side is lean. Also, plan on spending some time dialing in the accelerator pumps.

Try to purchase a set that is jetted for your altitude and engine displacement.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, that's them.

For the novice wrench , i do not recommend buying used kadrons. There are so many variables (jetting, throttle shaft wear, linkage slop, check valve condition) that it can be an exercise in frustration to set them up properly, unless you know what you are doing.

contact AJ Sims at www.lowbugget.com he is the kadron guru, and sells kits, parts and offers advice.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy used Kadrons as long as you send them to AJ and have him set them up for you.. Consider that as part of the price of the used carbs. Like Bj says there are far too many variables for even a long time VW person to get dialed in. AJ is a great guy and will make your carburation perfect the first time. If I were you I would just go ahead and call him. He is a great guy to talk to and he will give you the best solution within your budget. You can trust him without reserve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest that you have AJ perform the modification to the base of one carb, to add the vacuum port to retain your vacuum advance distributor. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a 009 distributor which works on a syntrifical advance method. Some dial these in without fail, but most (me included) find that a stock VW engine works best when the timing is brought in with vacuum, as the engine RPM requires it. The 009 is famous for having an off idle flat spot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: