Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 vanagon coolant transferring malfunction question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the cooling additive that I use. I dump in 8oz. into my Vanagon's cooling system on an annual basis. You might want to add more the first time around, just follow the instructions on the bottle. Most diesel engine manufacturers recommend using a coolant additive on a regular basis as do several car manufacturers. When using their additive Cat says you can run your antifreeze for 6000 hours for about 300,000 miles between changes. I have been running this stuff or its predecessor religiously for over 30 years in all my water cooled vehicles. I can remember losing only one water pump in all that time and it 18 years old when it failed. IMHO this is the most bang for your buck that you can get with any automotive product. Napa offers a small container than shown here as well.

http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?P...+Treatment
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this as a simple solution. With the engine cool (sat overnight), remove the cap to the "big tank" to see it's color. If it's green, then go buy some Prestone and make a 50/50 mix, and fill the overflow tank (the one you say is empty) to it's "MIN" fill line.

Then in a few days, check it. If it's still at the "MIN" line, your good (no leaks). If the tank is empty, you have a leak somewhere. If this is the case, take it to a shope and have the system pressure tested.

I just think you need some 50/50 added to the reserve tank.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you gotta do to get this problem narrowed down, and solved.

First locate , beg, borrow, steal a pressure tester with a VW expansion tank adaptor.

Fill up the expansion tank, and the reservior with whatver color coolant you have in the van.

Pump up the pressure tester to 15 lbs, and watch that gauge.
If it drops pressure --you've got problems--a leak. Start looking under, in, and around the Van to locate the leak, and repair it.

If it hold pressure, your good to go--don't worry about nothing.

The reservoir, and the expansion tank are supposed to hold the maximum tank levels which are idicated on the bottles.

Keep the levels where they are supposed to be all of the time.

What I meant by the tree hugger coolant is---regardless what you have in the system--good for the birds & bee's or not, if you don't service the system periodicly, it really doesn't make any difference what it is--it'll all be junk after a long, extended, overworked captivity within the confines of your cooling system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: