Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 Speed noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: 4 Speed noise Reply with quote

In my quest to clean, change, replace, rebuild, and repair any problems on my 84 Westy, I changed the transaxle fluid today. Wow, did that drain plug have some gunk and metal file pieces on it! It reminded me of that board game I had as a kid; you waved a magnetic wand over a face to move metal pieces to make head hair or facial hair!

Anyhow, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse are all quiet, but I notice that 4th gear has some noise under load. It did this prior to the change of fluids as well. I figured it needed changing, and perhaps the fluid change would quiet it up. None of the other gears make any noise except 4th. It runs great, shifts perfect; it just has some gear noise in 4th gear when applying gas, or under load.

Is this normal for these trannys?
Tomswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told it be the pinion gear (made a high wining sound when in 4th). Mine did that too until I put in a new rebuilt tranny, no more noise. From the sounds of it you might be ready for the sudden death syndrome.

Good luck.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not a high wine noise. Just a gear noise. Can't describe it, but definitly not high pitched.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: