Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor jack question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
I have wondered about using a transmission jack for engine removal/installation. The ones I have seen have a flat surface for the engine to rest on, but they also look like they will also swivel or pivot around to help with installation. Anyone ever used one for that?

I bought a tranny jack solely for one job, doing the tranny on the Benzo. However, once I got the Plump Truck with the ridiculous "loose" tranny, I've used it more often than not! Surprised

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Though it does the job quite nicely, it isn't a jack to be used for lifting and lowering as it's a bit of a bitch to do so using a ratchet. It works fine for the use above which is almost on "jackstand" status! Cool
Ozzie
Samba Cone Slayer

Location: Bluffton, S.C. Living in the duality; a Grateful Skynyrd thang.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coW wrote:
It does have "Craftsman" on it so I wonder if it has that unlimited guarantee as well..
I've asked before in the store about warranty and they said it was on mechanics tools only.

I wouldn't need it for house painting. Car tools ARE mechanics tools.
What's their problem?
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie wrote:
coW wrote:
It does have "Craftsman" on it so I wonder if it has that unlimited guarantee as well..
I've asked before in the store about warranty and they said it was on mechanics tools only.

What's their problem?

It used to be on all sorts of things but that may have changed.
A while back I was given an old sears wooden crawler (at least 60s vintage). The thing didn't really roll well and was all busted up so tried to get it exchanged.

The manager looked at me like I had two heads - but I had to try it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
I've got that Motorcycle/ATV jack pictured in the ad.
That's one handy MF'r for engine and/or trans removal. Exclamation

Alright, that's the second "for removal" in short order. Confused

I too have one and will third the "removal" use but add that it isn't always as good to install. It just doesn't have the give needed to "wiggle" the engine back in unless everything is lined up just right. Sad

Have tried a few times and more often than not, had to swap jacks for the install! Neutral

Unless you have the car level - not just the back end up on stands - it is hard to use that jack to get the engine back in. With the input shaft on an angle, and the jack flat on the floor its a no go. It's easier with a normal floor jack. However, if everything is leveled out or its a bus, where you can pull the apron off and skip the jacking alltogether, its quite handy.

Last edited by 70 140 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coW wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
coW wrote:

What's their problem?

A while back I was given an old sears wooden crawler (at least 60s vintage). The thing didn't really roll well and was all busted up so tried to get it exchanged.

I took a ratchet back to them a couple years back. They came back with a "rebuild kit" for my ratchet. I said "I'll be damned, I didn't buy it as a kit." They went and got me a new ratchet.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
coW wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
coW wrote:

What's their problem?

I took a ratchet back to them a couple years back. They came back with a "rebuild kit" for my ratchet. I said "I'll be damned, I didn't buy it as a kit." They went and got me a new ratchet.

I think it depends on your local store. I have taken some pretty beat looking stuff back and not been given anything but a new tool and a smile. I took back a busted 1/2 drive that had a bent handle with flaking chrome from putting a pipe on it. The business end was discolored from getting to close to the torch. No problem - new ratchet.
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
ovalboy wrote:
coW wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
coW wrote:

What's their problem?

I think it depends on your local store. I have taken some pretty beat looking stuff back and not been given anything but a new tool and a smile. I took back a busted 1/2 drive that had a bent handle with flaking chrome from putting a pipe on it. The business end was discolored from getting to close to the torch. No problem - new ratchet.

I always look for a cashier that looks like they wouldn't know the difference between a drill and a hammer (fake nails to long to even wipe their butt without poking through the paper, to much make-up, etc...) and that's were I go. They generally don't know how whatever tool I'm returning works in the first place and for sure don't know what it looks like if it's been "abused". I like to get grungy looking craftsman tools cheap at the flea market and take them back for a shiney new one.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifty-five wrote:
70 140 wrote:
ovalboy wrote:
coW wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
coW wrote:

What's their problem?

I always look for a cashier that looks like they wouldn't know the difference between a drill and a hammer (fake nails to long to even wipe their butt without poking through the paper, to much make-up, etc...) and that's were I go. They generally don't know how whatever tool I'm returning works in the first place and for sure don't know what it looks like if it's been "abused". I like to get grungy looking craftsman tools cheap at the flea market and take them back for a shiney new one.

That's a great idea!!
I have a sears tools across the street and know exactly which cashier to go to now..

They are losing money on me and screwdrivers, sockets and ratchets - I've returned more than I can remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
I've got that Motorcycle/ATV jack pictured in the ad.
That's one handy MF'r for engine and/or trans removal. Exclamation

Alright, that's the second "for removal" in short order. Confused

I too have one and will third the "removal" use but add that it isn't always as good to install. It just doesn't have the give needed to "wiggle" the engine back in unless everything is lined up just right. Sad

Have tried a few times and more often than not, had to swap jacks for the install! Neutral

Unless you have the car level - not just the back end up on stands - it is hard to use that jack to get the engine back in. With the input shaft on an angle, and the jack flat on the floor its a no go. It's easier with a normal floor jack. However, if everything is leveled out or its a bus, where you can pull the apron off and skip the jacking alltogether, its quite handy.

Preaching to the choir here! Rolling Eyes

I'm so old school that way back too many moons ago, when I didn't even have a bottle jack, let alone jackstands, I'd use a milk crate under the motor. Cut it loose, push the bus forward, do whatever job was needed done, push the bus backward, bolt on, done! Razz

The crate then "doubled" as a box for the left over parts!?! Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: